• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ArmageddonX

Android Expert
May 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
A member of my family is travelling to Italy soon and they want to get an International Sprint phone they can use over in Italy by swapping the SIM cards. Would the Motorola XPRT work? They were told they need an "unlocked" phone to use the SIM cards over in Italy & they want an Android with Sprint they can use in the US too.

Thanks for your help.

PS. Same question for the Photon if anyone knows. :eek:

I bought an XPRT from ebay and I'm using it in the UK with no problems. It's unlocked for gsm/utms outside of the US.

Berfore sending/taking it to Italy I would suggest registering it on Sprint in the US if possible as it is a bit of a challenge starting from scratch and bypassing the annoying activation sequence on start up.

Great information. Quick question. I'm going to Italy myself and would like to buy the xprt as a replacement phone for my son. If I do the upgrade with the USA sim card and let it be seen on my plan in the USA, will it make a difference when I go to Italy and install the prepaid Italian sim card? All responses appreciated.

Upvote 0
Great information. Quick question. I'm going to Italy myself and would like to buy the xprt as a replacement phone for my son. If I do the upgrade with the USA sim card and let it be seen on my plan in the USA, will it make a difference when I go to Italy and install the prepaid Italian sim card? All responses appreciated.

When you are out of the USA you should set the XPRT to GSM/utms only. Then cdma is inactive so it should make no difference

Upvote 0
I bought an XPRT from ebay and I'm using it in the UK with no problems. It's unlocked for gsm/utms outside of the US.

Berfore sending/taking it to Italy I would suggest registering it on Sprint in the US if possible as it is a bit of a challenge starting from scratch and bypassing the annoying activation sequence on start up.

Are you suggesting that I register the Italian SIM (not the native american SIM card pre-installed on the phone) card here in the US before I go to Italy?

Upvote 0
Are you suggesting that I register the Italian SIM (not the native american SIM card pre-installed on the phone) card here in the US before I go to Italy?

No, Just activate the phone on cdma with the Sprint servers in the US before you go. Otherwise the Handsfee Activation procedure will start everytime you reboot the phone.
This is a real pain if you are not on a CDMA network.

Reactions: Alwishus
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones