1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

It's about that time...

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by CaucasionJ, Dec 28, 2013.

1. CaucasionJ

CaucasionJ Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Male
    Chipotle Service Manager
    Ohio
    Well I have an upgrade in January and I've been tying to plan my next move. I have unlimited data plan with Verizon so I've been looking at the Note 3 and the LG G2 for possible phones...and maybe the Moto X...maybe. Any two cents on either phone?

If somehow my unlimited data goes away I'll probably jump shit and get the Nexus 5 on one of the other carriers. I could also just keep my GNex since it has great devs/support.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Note 3 - great phone (I love mine), but too locked up in VM and AT&T versions. Locked bootloader. But we can already root and load ROMs, so maybe custom recoveries aren't that far away. (Maybe unlocking the bootloader and doing nandroid restores aren't either.)

LG G2? No SD card? Can't remove the battery? Not for me. That was my only other choice, but those two things did it.

3. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    A prerequisite for true custom recoveries is an unlocked bootloader. There is no other way.

4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have moved this thread to the Device Comparison forum since you are comparing devices that you are interested in buying.

I upgraded the GNex to the Note 3 and love it. Root the thing pretty quickly and got a custom ROM running on it and love it. The battery life is a huge improvement, I can actually be a heavy user on stock battery and get a full day if not more out of the device. Plus it's lightning fast with a lot of awesome features. I didn't think I would like Samsung devices like this because of all the things they have added, but once I was able to root and put Nova Launcher on it, I couldn't be happier.

5. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Stock, Nova launcher and a spare battery. I've always carried spare batteries, and my first phone was a Motorola brick (which I still have). Three days of moderate use, more than a whole day of more than moderate use. (I haven't tried to spend a whole day on the phone - I'm retired, so I no longer have a phone hook permanently attached to my ear.)

As far as custom recoveries, yes - we need an unlocked bootloader. Give the geniuses time. I'd help but I still don't know the Android environment well enough (or have the cash to destroy a few phones). But 2 months ago, no one thought we'd be able to reflash a stock ROM to the beast.

6. DarkJedi

DarkJedi Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    While I'm a Moto X user (since I enjoy the pricing at Republic Wireless), in your situation... of those phones you listed, I'd most definitely go with the Note 3. I wish I could have one, but in the meantime, the Moto X is clearly 2nd best. I use the touchless voice controls a lot. It's a great feature to have!