1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

It's early September!!! Where is the Froyo OTA???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paul89, Sep 3, 2010.

1. DroidSloth

DroidSloth Newbie

All signs point to another 2-3 week delay as of this week due to issues with Exchange wiping settings out

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mike145

mike145 Guest

Well I just got off the phone with a friend that works for Verizon. He gave this number for me to call. 1-866-721-5480, it is Motorola. The rep there said to keep checking for updates on the device. She said there still working on it, and it does not have a set release date as of yet. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

3. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Me no likey waiting :(

4. zeroleonheart

zeroleonheart Member

+1 to you, good sir. Loving X with 2.1 and the world continues spinning on it's axis, as planned.

(I'm a hypocrite and check for an update every day) :p

urdaddi likes this.
  5. zeroleonheart

zeroleonheart Member

Anyone want to guess what 2.2.20 is?

6. bsutton1

bsutton1 Android Enthusiast

^ 2.2 update 2?

7. JohnnySaks

JohnnySaks Guest

lmao.......

8. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Then stop waiting and be surprised when it's suddenly there? I love the way my DX is running on stock 2.1, so I'm not really waiting for 2.2. It will be cool when it shows up, but I'm not checking for updates multiple times a day, or even once a day. If I'm in the settings panel for something else, I'll check it for poops and giggles, but it will come when it comes.

9. AshG

AshG Member

I am not exactly excited about 2.2 right now. More specifically, I am not exactly excited about what Verizon may intentionally screw up in 2.2. After seeing what they did with the Samsung Fascinate in replacing Google with Bing (and blocking you from downloading Google Search) and replacing the Google Nav with VZNav, I have little love for their policies. I turned on my Blackberry one day and found Google search replaced with Bing in the browser, with no way to change it back. I have much worry that Big Red will do the same to us through an update.

I paid for the phone, let me use it as I see fit without having to jump through hoops.

10. Roxors

Roxors Android Enthusiast

And this would be why you root...

11. AshG

AshG Member

There should be no need to root to remove this junk.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Ash, Bing was part of the deal from the start of the Fascinate. It was even on the original specs for the Verizon version of the Galaxy S.

I wouldn't worry about waking up to a substantially altered phone. There would be an uprising if the update rolled out Bing over the existing Google searches because this phone has an existing customer base with existing preferences.

13. jwbeeler

jwbeeler Android Enthusiast

IIRC it includes flash. The original 2.2 for the Droid did not.

14. racinwarrior

racinwarrior Member

No that not the reason. It happened to me on blackberry. If Verizon changed from Google to Bing Google would shit kittens since the x is a Google experience device

15. Roxors

Shoulda woulda coulda, many feel the same way

16. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Well-Known Member

i really doubt verizon would try to shove a Microsuck product onto a completely Googleicious device. there are alot of new rules in the phone game now and Google who has taken the market by storm as shown here Android accounts for one-quarter of mobile web traffic, says Quantcast -- Engadget will probably not allow Bing on their phone unless it becomes available and you download it yourself from the market.. notice how android climbs as the half eaten fruit drops

17. Roxors

yeah it climed but i am betting that is just cause people are using the Hotspot just my opinion

18. beerhound

beerhound Member

Yes, much more important things. Like the Ohio State vs Miami game..... :D

19. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

But that's exactly what they did with the Fascinate.

I doubt they'd go ahead and convert an existing android device to Bing search though.

20. deadinside

deadinside Well-Known Member

There lies the problem though, system folder is set to where you cannot uninstall anything to prevent users from breaking their phone from accidentally uninstalling something they should not be.

If they put all safe removable apps in the folder where download apk's are installed to, then a factory reset/restore would wipe all apps.

If anyone noticed the NFS game is uninstallable. It is located where downloaded apps are installed to. I would imagine that is because the .apk is 99 megs and people would flip if they could not free up a 100 megs of space.

21. t0adman

t0adman Member

Sooo...looking forward to Froyo but not going ape over it. I am curious how you guys/gals are "checking" to see if an update is available. I'd like to check for the update as well (envisioning myself as one of the lab rats in the cocaine addiction studies hammering away on the dispensing bar). TIA

22. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Go into Settings, scroll to "About Phone" (at the bottom), and then select "System updates."

I'm not bothering to check, because it'll be announced by tons of sites long before I happen to notice it on my phone.

23. civicseth

civicseth Lurker

My phone shows 2.2 somehow, but it's the same as it was last night.

24. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

They replaced Google Nav with their paid version or just added it to the app drawer like they did in the leaked 2.2? I mean even if they did it's in the market.
    If Google is going to give away their OS they may want to put a few restriction on it's use. Like you can't remove Google apps.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Why shouldn't they remove Google apps as long as they can be downloaded from the market again?

All they did was remove the preinstalled Nav and installed their own. If you don't like it, just install your own.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews