• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's heeeeere!!!

Well to those of you who've been paying attention (don't worry, I don't suspect many of you have), I was part of the 'I'll never buy another Motorola so long as they lock their bootloaders' crowd. My DX was my first foray into the world of Android (so long as you don't count the 3 days I spent on a D1 before returning it to order the DX). So my ignorance of bootloaders is hereby excused (by me). I didn't know the bootloader was going to be locked, but even if I had run across that tidbit of information, I wouldn't have had any clue as to what it meant. I was coming off of a BB Curve for God sakes.

Now that I'm into Android and loving it, I want to enjoy every ounce of it that I can. So when Motorola turned their ship around 180 degrees from the wide open and highly hackable D1 to the current lineup of Moto devices, that left guys like me out in the cold. I don't see any end in sight personally. I know there's an online petition and all that jazz, but come on, we all know deep down that we're throwing pebbles at a tank with that.

So true to my word I had an upgrade available at the beginning of April, and I've held on to it until now waiting to see what I wanted to do with it. What I ended up doing is not only point my middle finger at Motorola, but Verizon as well since they seem to be the ones who are actually behind all the tightly locked bootloaders anyways (from what I read Samsung released a statement aimed at Verizon saying they would NOT lock their bootloaders so long as Google didnt' require it... seems they were getting heat from Big Red for being as open as they are). Instead of reupping with Verizon wireless, I took my upgrade, closed my account, and made the move to T-Mobile and grabbed the LG G2x, and it arrived in the mail TODAY!!! Wihoo!!!

Now I know most of you do not have the freedom to up and change carriers whenever you feel like. If that's the case with you then I'm not here to preach. All I wanted to say is that I cast my vote for the nations friendliest Android carrier (although they might get gobbled up by AT&T), and one of the friendliest Android OEMs (this phone has Vanilla Google, and Z4Root unlocks it... yeah baby!!!). I, like you, haven't really entertained LG as a serious Android OEM for the most part. Their Optimus line of devices were very generic (that's putting it nicely), but this G2x, along with the Optimus 3D that's going to AT&T look to really turn the ship around for LG and sign them up for a serious competitor in Android land.

So without further delay I'll give you a short rundown of what I like about it, what I'll miss about my DX, and what is all new to me. Keep in mind I'm still waiting for my phone to activate, so I'm not all that aquainted with it just yet. Some gripes may pop up as I get to know it, but so far...

1. This phone is very classy IMO. It's been said that some like the ruggedness of the DX. I agree with that, it is a 'no appologies' design with a rather manly persona. Sharp lines, no bling, that weird hump... it's simplistic and purposeful. It feels good in the hand, and it's high quality, but I don't think anyone who doesn't own one would ever say it's a gorgeous device. It has a personality that grows on you. Compared to the G2x the LG phone is more stylish, but not a lot more. It's a pretty simplistic design as well. But the DX is definately more rugged. I got mine a week into August of last year and this thing still looks brand new. Not so much as a hairline scratch on the screen. And the metal body has worn VERY well. I've never had a phone make it this long in this great a shape! The G2x has a metal surround, with a plastic backing. But it has been confirmed that the screen is Gorilla Glass! That's a huge plus IMO. I credit my DX's screen holding up like it has 100% because of the use of Gorilla Glass. When I heard Moto used Gorilla Glass way back in September of last year, I tore the Skinomi screen protector off and went nude. I don't feel GG needs a screen protector. (oh and the beveled edge of the LG's screen is a nice touch too).

2. I'll miss the easy open battery door from the DX. The G2x's entire back peels off, and it's not nearly as easy to get into to do a battery swap as my trusty DX is. I've noticed a lot of phones are doing this lately. I think the reasoning behind it is so that when they come out with an extended battery (which is a normal accessory now a days... you get your phone and then you get a case, a car dock, a car charger and an extended battery), they can just make the entire back conform to the excessive size of the battery. The 1840 mAh battery that Motorola released for the DX wasn't so bad. The battery door was just a smidgen thicker than the stock door. But the battery door for the 2500 mAh battery that Seidio came out with was absolutely ridiculous! Aftermarket companies have a lot more freedom in designing the extended battery door if they can just design a whole new back to go on the phone.

3. I like how the speakers on the G2x are on the bottom of the device. Don't get me wrong, the speaker on the DX was PLENTY loud. But If I was on speaker with someone and I laid my phone on the bed or the couch I suddendly couldn't hear the person I was talking to. It worked when you sat it on a table because the hump created a gap between the speaker and the table for the sound to escape (making it even louder when it bounced off a flat surface like that), but not so much on a soft surface. I had read complaints that the speaker wasn't very loud on the G2x, but the sounds coming out of it so far are very easy to hear, crisp, and clean. All in all I'd still give the DX's speaker the nod for superiority, but I like the placement of the LG's better.

4. You know how thin the DX is? Well if you like that then you'll love the G2x, the whole device is that thin (save for one small square that sticks out just a hair in the back for the camera). This should make for a nice sized device even when a case is added to the bulk. When working on some of my friends HTC EVO's, man those phones are pretty bulky to start with... throw a case on it and it's like carrying a brick around! This LG phone is much thinner than any HTC device I've ever held. Very pocketable.

5. I WILL MISS MY 4.3 INCH SCREEN!!! Ok honestly, when you hold this phone in your hand it's very hard to tell the difference between it and the DX. It's almost as big physically as the DX because there is more bezzel area on the top and bottom of the 4.0 inch screen than there is on the DX. So realistically I'll probably not really notice it a whole bunch besides when I'm holding them both in my hand next to eachother. I actually wanted to the 4.3 inch Optimus 3D when it came out later on this summer, but it's going to AT&T, and the only other 4.3 inch phone on T-Mobile at the moment is the Galaxy S, and I'm not into Samsung devices at all. The HTC Sensation is a 4.3 inch device that is launching shortly. But I was really impressed with the specs of this LG device so I decided I'd give it a chance to impress me. I figured if I got it and didn't like it I could return it and get the Sensation when it comes out. But so far I don't see that happening, I really like this phone so far.

6. I will miss the hard keys on the DX. So far I've really been pleasantly surprised by how much I like the virtual keys on the LG, I thought I'd really just hate them because I liked the hard keys on my DX sooo much. But I have to tell you I was very impressed with how much I enjoyed setting up my phone just barely touching it, the way it responded. Now that might change the more I use this device. Like if I start accidentally hitting them while I'm trying to do something I might change my mind about it. That was why I really liked the hard keys, I never unintentionally hit the 'back' button once the whole time I had my DX. That could become aggrivating if I ever do that on my G2x.

7. The volume up and down keys and the power/sleep button on top of my LG phone are the highest quality buttons I've ever felt on a smartphone. They look itty bitty, and at first glance I thought they'd really left a lot to desire with such small contols. But once I tried them out for myself, they felt... well they just felt 'right'. They are perfect, I wouldn't want them any other way.

8. Last but not least, I'm going to REALLY miss the support the DX gets here on the Phandroid website. The LG G2x section is dead as dead can be!!! I've heard there is a much bigger following over on the XDA forum, so I guess I'll be splitting my time between here and there. I say 'splitting my time', because I have no plans of leaving the DX forum just because I no longer have Verizon service on my DX. I'm keeping it as my dedicated music player/GPS device in my car. And I'll continue to hope and pray someone sneaks the key for the bootloader out of Motorola's lab one of these days. I'd still love to unlock this baby and see what she's capable of. I think she'd surprise even the most loyal of DX followers if she wasn't nailed down like she is.

To be completely honest, when I sit the DX next to the G2x, the Motorola hasn't aged at all. It does NOT look outdated at all. It looks like they could have released it yesterday, it's still very current IMO.

I'll return with some pics of the device side by side my DX for comparison. In short, for all of you who are sticking with the DX until your contract (if you signed a 2-year plan) runs out next year, I'm here to tell you these new devices aren't a huge, giant leap ahead by any means. They really did a great job of future proofing the big Droid. Hardware and software wise, it's still right up there with the latest and greatest. So if a locked bootloader means nothing to you, then just keep on enjoying the DX, it's still one of the best devices you can find.

But if you're like me and you just can't take the restrictions of not having the ability to flash custom kernels and fully custom ROMs, you wouldn't believe the sense of relief I got when my G2x arrived. It's already rooted, they have a custom recovery, and CyanogenMod7 is already being ironed out for it. That's GREAT news for guys like me! I'm sooo excited to really get my tinker on! And so far just flicking around on the home screens and such this thing has absolutely zero lag like I had on my stock DX out of the box. Yeah I know not everyone experienced that with their DX, but my DX was very clunky out of the box. I had to root it, and put an blurless ROM on it before it smoothed out. Without blur, my DX is as zippy a device as I've ever played with. But blur (well, pre 2.3 blur that is) did not do this device justice.

So if you're like me and you want to send Moto a message that we don't want locked bootloaders, then buying another brand like I have is about the only thing that will wake them up at all. If enough of us jump ship, they'll notice.

...more to come.

Reactions: jroc
I hope you enjoy it :):)

Unfortunately, in my area, VZW and Gay T&T are my only options. Sprint has a horrible network and TMobile is just not a consideration they suck so bad around here.

I just have not seen a phone come out that is that much better than the DX............maybe soon :)

As i said..................enjoy and many thanks to you for all the help you have been :)

Reactions: Outlaw71
Upvote 0
I have decided to either, stick with the droid line (preferably moto) if something I like comes out or wait for Verizon to offer vanilla Android device like the Nexus. I'm done with the Galaxy S series. Samsung has disguised Android too much in their OS and I do not like plastic bodies or AMOLED screens. Hopefully something as solid and "manly" as you said comes out so that I can part ways with my DX happily. until then, I'll wait.

Upvote 0
Hey hey hey fellas, I told you I'm not going anywhere. I'ma be splitting my time between this DX forum and the D2x forum over on XDA. I'll still be tinkering with my DX, worry not. Doncha know... I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

..... uhhh, ok I'm entirely not drunk enough to be talking like that!

Ahem, ok then here are some pics comparing the size difference between the two...

The LG G2x
DSC00050.jpg

Screen off...
DSC00045-1.jpg

Angled down...
DSC00046-1.jpg

Right angle...
DSC00047.jpg

And the left...
DSC00048.jpg

And screen on (the G2x's screen is a bit more vibrant)
DSC00049.jpg

... more to come, I'm in a hurry. Sorry.

Upvote 0
That's the phone Fabolous went too. Get ready for some sweet ROMs.

Oh wow, you really made my day with that one!

Although I only ran Apex for a short time, I've always appreciated Fab for his work and just the all around guy that he is. I didn't run Apex because my DX did NOT like blur at all. And since Fabs DX ROMs were all blur based, I couldn't do a whole lot with them. My fav was GummyJAR, what phone is JRummy switching to?

Haha, no I'm really looking forward to seeing what Fab can do with a wide open device, no bootloader to contend with, no kernel to work around... I'll be sure to try everything he throws at the G2x. Oh I can't wait! :D

Oh yeah one thing I forgot to add in my OP was the fact that my final decision to downgrade to a 4.0 inch screen was because when I read the specs on the G2x I saw that it's 1500 mAh battery was good for 10 hours talk time, and the DX (which is for the most part the king of the 'Android, big screen, smartphone world' when it comes to conserving juice) boasted 8 hours worth of TT. None of HTC's or Samsungs big screens challenge that spec. So when I saw the LG got 25% more life that my current talkie, I realized that perhaps the 4.0 inch screen was the perfect balance between the puny little 3.7 (well, they didn't feel puny until I got used to the X) inch devices that are everywhere, and the battery hog 4.3 inch big screens that are starting to crawl out of the wood work.

A sort of 'best of both worlds'... decent sized screen that conserves juice as well. BIG BUCKS, NO WHAMMY's (first one to tell me that reference wins)!!! :D

P.S. Btw, in case you guys are wondering why so many of us are coming here to report what device we're leaving the DX for, it's because this is such a great community (just the maturity you gents show when someone comes here with a write-up of their new device proves that... heck in some forums to remain unnamed, even mentioning a competing device gets you 3 days in the stockade where everyone can throw tomatos at you for daring to do such an unthinkable act). So it's like when you graduate high school and you've decided to join the military... you don't just sneak out of your graduation party, hop on a bus and vanish to bootcamp... you want to tell all your friends what your plans are and where you'll be just in case they feel like writing you. :)

I hope nobody feels like we're rubbing it in the faces of those still on the DX by any means, it's just the opposite. Heck I already miss my DX and it's still active!!! This device holds a lot of good memories for me. It's the first device I was ever this freakin excited about! I thought when I discovered Blackberry that I'd reached the peak of cell phone innovation. It was the very first device I used that could access the internet fairly well. No it was no where near as good an experience as browsing the web on my DX is, but it was light years ahead of the internet I had on my Motorola flip phone before that.

So in comparison, if the excitement I got when I found BB is akin to flying in an airplane for the first time, then the excitement I got when I found Android is like climbing on the Apollo 11 and rocketing straight to the moon!!! It'll be hard for this LG to keep me up on that crest of enthusiasm that the Droid had me on. After all I've had it for 9 months and pretty much explored it to the limit Motorola allows us to explore it to. So I might be becoming just a tiny bit jaded by everything Android.

Which is why I'm hoping and praying being able to delve into the bootloader and swap out all sorts of custom kernels to try with the different ROMs will kick the afterburners on and send me on to Mars now!

:D

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I heard the G2X is going to be one of the most hacked phones going forward.

You guys must hang out over at XDA or something, I haven't heard any of this stuff. But gosh I hope you're right!

Taking on the G2x was actually a huge gamble on my end, because I didn't hear or know any of this stuff before I made my choice. I figured it was a long shot since...

A. It was a 4.0 inch screen and everyone seems to either be stuck on the old school 3.7 inch screens, or want the big daddy 4.3 inch screen for bragging rights. So I kinda wondered if the LG would get left behind... expecially since it's cousin, the Optimus 3D is coming down the pike as we speak, and it IS a 4.3 inch screen device. That worried me.

B. It's on T-Mobile, which is a fairly small carrier, and is probably going to get gobbled up by AT&T. Those two facts I figured would send people running for the hills before they plunked down any coin on a T-Mobile phone and 2 year contract! This really worried me.

and last but not least, C. It's made by LG.... ummm, which was the last heavily modded LG device that the public went crazy for? Not only am I drawing a blank on the last one, I can't remember a SINGLE one. There may have been a few that I don't remember, but that's just it... I don't remember hearing the OEM 'LG' being thrown around any of the water cooler conversations I evesdrop on. So I was super worried I was picking up a device that was dead even before it was born. Go ahead and go check out the LG G2x section here on Phandroid... it's like a ghost town in there for real. And the only posts that are in there are of the 2x that went to Europe, no G2x's from here in the US. Not a good sign.

So yeah I was halfway expecting to be on my own with this little guy. Glad to hear it has (hopefully) plenty of action to look forward to.

... oh I keep remembering things to add to my 'likes/dislikes' list. While I try to always give credit where credit is due, I have to give Verizon props for having the most reliable network in America. It made it easier to pay the premium prices I paid for the past 6 years I was with them knowing that no matter where I was or when I needed it, my phone would always have a few bars in the signal indicator keeping me connected to the world.

I can honestly say there have been several occasions where one of my buddies was like, "hey I'm not getting any bars here. You have Verizon right? Can I use your phone right quick"? And EVERYTIME that request was made, my Verizon based device always came through for me. I'm not saying my phone has NEVER lost a signal once. But whenever it was crunch time, it always made me out to look like the guy to ask if you gotta make a phone call right right now, no excesses (luck may have played a teeny weeny roll in that streak, but I gotta take my hat off to Verizon's investment in nationwide coverage as the biggest reason).

But even though they've always been my ol faithful, I think I'm really going to enjoy T-Mobiles brand new pricing plan. It's basically a copy of Sprints '$69 Everything' plan (to which they've recently added $10 bucks per month for 4g devices). When I ordered my phone last Thursday I signed up for the 'Even More Unlimited Talk' $59.99 plan. But on top of that plan you had to add $10 dollar unlimited texts, and a $40 dollar data plan. But when I called to activate my LG today the girl said, "hey would you rather save some money and get enrolled in the '$79 dollar Text/Talk and Data' plan"?

..."hmmmm let's see, would I rather save $30 bucks per month on my bill for exactly the same service??? Well hang on just a second and let - me - think - abooou.... OK I'M IN"!!!

That's $79 bucks for unlimited minutes, unlimited text/picture texts, and unlimited 4g data. I had 1400 minutes, and unlimited texts and data on Verizon for around $110 per month which was after getting a pomotion for $9.99 unlimited data, AND a 19 percent discount for being a Georgia Pacific employee.

Which means I would have been paying around $150 bucks without those two reliefs.

Upvote 0
Outlaw,
I'm glad you found a phone that you can be happy with while not having to stand under a locked bootloader. You don't have to worry about bragging in this forum because all know how absolutely solid the DX is. There are faster phones that will soon eclipse the X but you can still proudly use it and enjoy a great experience. I wish you the best with TMobile.

Upvote 0
P.S. Btw, in case you guys are wondering why so many of us are coming here to report what device we're leaving the DX for, it's because this is such a great community (just the maturity you gents show when someone comes here with a write-up of their new device proves that... heck in some forums to remain unnamed, even mentioning a competing device gets you 3 days in the stockade where everyone can throw tomatos at you for daring to do such an unthinkable act). So it's like when you graduate high school and you've decided to join the military... you don't just sneak out of your graduation party, hop on a bus and vanish to bootcamp... you want to tell all your friends what your plans are and where you'll be just in case they feel like writing you. :)

I hope nobody feels like we're rubbing it in the faces of those still on the DX by any means, it's just the opposite. Heck I already miss my DX and it's still active!!! This device holds a lot of good memories for me. It's the first device I was ever this freakin excited about! I thought when I discovered Blackberry that I'd reached the peak of cell phone innovation. It was the very first device I used that could access the internet fairly well. No it was no where near as good an experience as browsing the web on my DX is, but it was light years ahead of the internet I had on my Motorola flip phone before that.

So in comparison, if the excitement I got when I found BB is akin to flying in an airplane for the first time, then the excitement I got when I found Android is like climbing on the Apollo 11 and rocketing straight to the moon!!! It'll be hard for this LG to keep me up on that crest of enthusiasm that the Droid had me on. After all I've had it for 9 months and pretty much explored it to the limit Motorola allows us to explore it to. So I might be becoming just a tiny bit jaded by everything Android.

Which is why I'm hoping and praying being able to delve into the bootloader and swap out all sorts of custom kernels to try with the different ROMs will kick the afterburners on and send me on to Mars now!

:D

Quoted for TRUTH!!!

I LOVE the DX community so much. Tight little bunch we have here!

Looks like you have a stellar phone there sir! Looks like you are enjoying it greatly! Loved the write up! :)

I think I would have went to the Nexus S just for the Google Experience, you had your reasons, though. :p

Reactions: jroc and Outlaw71
Upvote 0
which was the last heavily modded LG device that the public went crazy for? Not only am I drawing a blank on the last one, I can't remember a SINGLE one.

How quickly you've forgotten the LG Chocolate ;-) And am I the only one who got the Dare? First touchscreen-only phone? LG broke my touchscreen virginity with the Chocolate and made me a touchscreen slut with the Dare.

Upvote 0
I gotta tell you the more I get into hacking and rooting... unlocked/encrypted bootloaders...roms/themes....The less I want to do to my phone. I really love my TB with all my sense widgets and features. I still root to debloat and add some functionality but I think its time to go out into the world and enjoy our phones!! Good luck outlaw. Have fun in Canadia! lol

Reactions: jroc and Outlaw71
Upvote 0
I think I would have went to the Nexus S just for the Google Experience, you had your reasons, though. :p

Ahhh but you see my friend I'm way ahead of you there. I thought long and hard about the Nexus S a few weeks ago, and I almost pulled the trigger. Until I came across the new LG. You see not only is the G2x built around a 4.0 inch screen and run vanilla Android... both on par with the Nexus S, but it ups the ante with a dual core processor and 4g connectivity. Which when I'm keeping score, puts it ahead of Googles own smartphone.

I was REALLY interested in the rumors that the Motorola Targa was going to be the next Nexus branded device (4.3 inch display, quad core, and running on the fastest 4g network with vanilla Android and custom ROMs out the yang.... let me wipe the drool off my chin). But it's so hard to swallow since Google has their devices built wide open, easy to root and with an unlocked bootloader to top it all off... I just can't see Motorola being able to handle those requirements. And even if they somehow did, I can't see Verizon letting a 'street punk' device like that wondering around unchecked over it's airwaves. Still, it could be true. But even the rumors don't put it out until Christmas.

Which gives me about 7 months to get to know my G2x before I contemplate a switch back to Verizon if the rumors hold true. Oh what a great time/country we live in!

;)

Upvote 0
How quickly you've forgotten the LG Chocolate ;-) And am I the only one who got the Dare? First touchscreen-only phone? LG broke my touchscreen virginity with the Chocolate and made me a touchscreen slut with the Dare.

I must admit my ignorance here... were the Chocolate and Dare Android devices? While I do rembemer those phones (as well as how popular they were), I was thinking they came out before the Android revolution.

If they were Android, what did they run, 1.5? Were they completely unlocked with wild ROMs and kernels to flash? If so, man oh man did I ever miss out!

Upvote 0
I gotta tell you the more I get into hacking and rooting... unlocked/encrypted bootloaders...roms/themes....The less I want to do to my phone. I really love my TB with all my sense widgets and features. I still root to debloat and add some functionality but I think its time to go out into the world and enjoy our phones!! Good luck outlaw. Have fun in Canadia! lol

How much dev work has been done to the TB so far? Have you flashed CyanogenMod yet?

I didn't even start flashing ROMs on my DX until just before Christmas. I rooted fairly early, but hearing (and more vividly, reading) all the horror stories in the 'Everything Root' section up top of people bricking their phones trying to flash this or theme that, or overclock the other really intimidated me for the longest time.

But once I got into flashing, got used to the risks (bricked twice... learned how to SBF and became pretty much fearless afterwards), and filled my SD card with nandroids of every ROM I could get my hands on, I started to think I really knew what I was doing.

Then two weekends ago I was on a trip with a bunch of guys who had EVO's. I was trying to discuss rooting and ROMing and the benefits and drawbacks with these fellas, and it was like I was speaking Chinese. I couldn't believe how absolutely clueless they were about all this stuff. I mean I always knew we here in the ROMing community were part of the vast minority of Android owners... but I always assumed that everyone else at least knew our community existed. Turns out, most of them don't! Honestly that trip opened my eyes to the fact that for the most part, people who buy Android devices haven't the faintest clue as to what their devices are actually capable of. None of those guys had any idea what I was talking about. The one guy who sort of did, asked me, "oh, can these things be jailbroken"? :eek:

So I set out to root and ROM thier phones to give them a taste of what it was all about. Rooting those HTC devices was so different than my DX. I was like, "you mean they haven't come up with a one-click exploit for this ancient device yet"??? I was blown away. But I was not to be defeated, so I broke out one of the guys laptops and preceeded to educate myself on how to 'jailbreak' the HTC EVO!

Then once I flashed CyanogenMod 7 on two of thier devices, and CyanogenMod 6.2 on another one, I became enlightened that by fiddling around with the locked up DX all this time, I'd only been exploring half of the what most other modders explore. I was in the 'Everything Root' section of the EVO forum, and listed below all of the available ROMs for the device (of which there are TONS), there were just as many custom kernels to flash.

That confused me. Here all this time I just assumed that devs working with an unlocked device simply wrote the entire ROM (kernel and all) up in one big package. I had no idea they were a separate affair. I started asking questions about which kernel to flash with CyanogenMod 7, and I got the same types of responses as people in our 'Everything Root' section answer questions about which ROM runs best on the DX.... which is, "try them all and decide for yourself... every device reacts a little differently to each".

Only in the EVO section, this meant flashing all these kernels separately with all the ROMs to find the perfect combination. Now I realize this all sounds very tedious to many of you. But it really drew me in. Obviously I realize there is a finite amout of combinations to try out before you're all out of kernels and ROMs to flash. But it just seemed like a lot of fun to me. Yeah I can see getting sick and tired of it after a while. I don't expect to keep myself entertained with these things forever. But it did make me come to realize that I didn't know half as much about the possibilities of these things as I thought I knew.

I mean there I was all awe struck that these guys had these devices with endless potential built into them for the unlocking, and all they'd ever done since day one was run the stock ROM, with nonroot apps from the market because none of them even know what 'rooted' meant when they saw that requirement in the app discription. And yet for all the experience I thought I had under my belt, I really didn't know nearly as much about what these things are capable of myself.

So anyhow, that's when the fever really hit. And I started really looking hard at which 'open device' I wanted to make my next toy.

Upvote 0
Wow, I also miss my 'D - R - O - I - D' text message notification and my Android ringtone. I know a lot of people hate those and get rid of them pronto, but I always loved them and associated the phone with those sounds. There were like the DX's personality to me.

The stock notifications on my G2x are ULTRA ANNOYING and have to go! The stock ringer sounds like a banjo playing... how do you go from that kick ass 'D - R - O - I - D' ringtone to banjos? I wish I knew how to port over the Droid ringtone.

Upvote 0
I must admit my ignorance here... were the Chocolate and Dare Android devices? While I do rembemer those phones (as well as how popular they were), I was thinking they came out before the Android revolution.

If they were Android, what did they run, 1.5? Were they completely unlocked with wild ROMs and kernels to flash? If so, man oh man did I ever miss out!

Naw, way before Android (I was just poking a little fun, I know it's off topic).

Those phones were the "holy wow, I can send little text messages on my phone to any mobile number!" era. I don't think they even had internet. Snake, though. Snake was fun.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones