1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General It's here, ALPHA 2.1 (10-19-2011)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by colchiro, Oct 13, 2011.

1. MrBlah

MrBlah Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    mine drops frames on youtube HD too

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I can't wait until RM is able to download nightly builds/updates. :D

3. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    BTW, I updated to 2.1 this morning before going to work. Battery was at 98%.

Checked it every hour or two to see if I had an SOD and nothing and no apparent reboots. Wifi was on, but I have no wireless networks available at work.

When I got home, my battery was at 89%. Cpu Spy said it had 8.5 hours of deep sleep (better than me) and 30 minutes @ 384 and 7 minutes @ 1620 mHz. I thought all the deep sleep was a good sign. Maybe if I had a wifi connection it might have woke up more, I don't know.

Alpha 2.1 was in improvement for me, but I already had A1 running pretty good too.

4. boiler662

boiler662 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    I am probably missing something but where is the sd partition that was created when I flashed CM7 initially?

5. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    The "media" partition was made smaller so the CM partitions could be added. I'm going to guess they're the last ones. I believe your "sd" partition is the media partition from webOS, which CM also shares.

6. Randino

Randino Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    North Carolina
    I have wifi set to never sleep, just now adjusted the min cpu to 384 so we'll see how that goes. Doesn't happen hardly at all if I manually turn off the screen Mainly when screen sleeps itself.

Side note....I noticed in another post of yours, your cpu was at 1620 for a while, I stopped at 1512 for now, how high do you have yours oc'd? And is it stable at that speed?

7. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I was stable at 1800 in webOS. My wife's TP (only 16gb) seemed stable at 1900, but I'm not going to swap and lose 16gb. I'm the hacker in the family, she just plays Jewels. :D

Besides, CM7.1 is so fast I could live with 1500 until ICS comes. I don't think we even have 2d graphics acceleration yet so it will be faster.

It was stated that just one of the sources of SOD was fixed so it sounds like there are probably others. All I know is I haven't had one since installing 2.1 and was at the point where I'd probably only have 1 or 2 a day with A1. If you shut it down when not using it, you shouldn't see many.

My wife isn't good with technology so I think I'm finally ready to update her TP with CM7. She still has her Nook Color she can use, but I'd like to sell that while it's still worth something and get her using her TP. It's bigger, faster and has more features. Why not use it now.

8. Randino

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    North Carolina

Yea I had mine at 1700 in webos, but stopped at 1500 on cm7 cause I don't feel like it needs more speed at the moment.

I let my father in law use the nook color until/if we can get him a tp.

9. nyssa

nyssa Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    Female
    fashion retail
    Seattle, WA
    Noticing lots of force closes with Market now that I've upgraded to 2.1 ... am I alone?

10. Randino

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    North Carolina
    First ive heard of that, but some people are clearing market data, but i didn't pay attention to where they were doing that, mainly cause they weren't getting all the apps

11. PAFisher

PAFisher Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I was having FC's at first and then it either stabilized or I used the back button inside the Market instead of the back button at the bottom of the screen. Either way, I have installed 30 + apps from Amazon and about 15 through the market since then with no problems. Now to run them all and see which ones work and which ones don't.

Side note, I have somehow lost the set of buttons just above the notification bar and do not know how to get it back, or what it would be called to find where to add it back. Any suggestions?

PAFisher

12. strat1227

strat1227 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Did you do a Titanium Restore?

Anytime I restore from TB (on my phone or on the TP), my market force closes constantly. I've gotten to the point where I never to batch restores anymore, I just manually do it and avoid anything market related

13. PAFisher

PAFisher Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I am getting a black screen when I run netflix.
    Is there something else I need to install before it will work correctly?

Thanks,
    PAFisher

14. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    Would like to try and install Alpha 2.1, what are the best instructions out there right now?

15. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Netflix is a known issue. You want the previous version. NETFLIX Just updated thier App and now video doesn't work

For FC's you usually want to boot into recovery, format cache and Dalvik cache and fix permissions.

You could also go into settings... applications... find market and uninstall updates and clear data.

16. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    I seem to get Market force-closes when I back out of the screen while an app is downloading. So if I start an app downloading and then hit back to go browse the rest of the market, I get a FC.

If I just let the app finish, I haven't had a FC since.

So far:

- Battery life seems to be somewhat mediocre even on A2.1, but it's not awful. I installed it when the battery was @ 100%. I'm currently draining it to see if resetting the battery stats helps.

- I figured out if you don't set your timezone correctly, Twitter's OAuth for apps doesn't work. The only reason this is noteworthy is, of course, on a cell phone the time is set automatically for you so you don't have to think about it.

- Unfortunately, it appears that most tablet apps do in fact require Honeycomb to run. I tried 4 or 5 of them last night and they all FC immediately after trying to open them. Sigh.

- Frankly, this is worlds better than WebOS, even with the above gripes. Web browsing is far faster, and I can actually have a real tabbed browser instead of opening windows in a new card which was slow and awkward. Plus, having the same apps available on my phone as on my tablet is fantastic. No reason to reach for my phone at all anymore once I get home.

Nice work!

17. nyssa

nyssa Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    Female
    fashion retail
    Seattle, WA
    You know what, I think that might be it - backing out during downloads. Thanks! :)

18. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    You guys need patience. :D

19. untitled1

untitled1 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    ^ Sounds like a song.

I'm experiencing a new problem with the 2.1 Alpha. It connected to wifi OK at first, but now it won't, and the settings screen hangs or force closes whenever I launch it. Still connects to wifi fine in webOS, so it's not a hardware problem.

Do you think it'd help if I re-flashed Android? Or is there an equivalent to a hard reset just for the Android side?

20. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I updated my wife's TP for the first time last night. First I updated webOS to 3.0.4 and got that running first (after uninstalling the OC kernel). Worked perfectly (unlike mine). :D

Then I flashed Alpha 2.1, did not login with her Gmail account and instead connected to wireless. (I was so proud of myself for doing it the proper way. :cool:) I connected to wireless right away, then went to Market, added a login and started downloading my Google Apps.

Then after a period of time, I woke up her TP and found no wireless, along with the lag and hangs you describe. I found the default was set for wireless to sleep (menu button... advanced in wifi settings). Changed that and still couldn't connect. None of the tricks like forgetting the network worked either.

So I copied A2 to her TP, booted into recovery, creating a backup, formatting cache/Dalvik cache (but not data), flashed A2.1, and fixed permissions (the proper way to update).... rebooted and the same result. Meanwhile my TP still was connected and working so I fired up wifi analyzer and noticed that our week-old Comcast modem/wireless/phone was using channel 11, the same as our Cisco wireless router and they were one foot apart. :eek:

So I logged into our Cisco router admin page and changed the channel to a free spot (channel 4) based on the least amount of nearby strong signals and it worked great after that. You can see how to do that here: http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/429699-wifi-channel-optimizing.html

I have since removed the better router (Cisco one) and configured the Comcast gateway so now only have one box.

21. untitled1

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Oddly enough, mine fixed itself. Rebooting did no good yesterday, but it fixed it today. The joys of playing with an alpha ...

22. untitled1

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Netflix just updated and now it's working fine.

23. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
  24. n0apostrophe

n0apostrophe Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    denver, colorado
    I hope this happens to my touchpad. I cannot get wireless to work at all since last night.

25. colchiro

None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I've set my min speed back to 192 and have wifi set to sleep on screen off now. We'll see how that works. :D

Things to try:
    Wireless... (menu button) advanced... Regulatory Domain: 11
    Wifi sleep: never

Wireless... mobile networks... data enabled: uncheck

Change channel on router if you have competition.

UPDATE: sleep: never works better. :D

Randino likes this.
Tags: