• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's like musical threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They try to force everyone into the same conversation when in fact it usually works better with a few smaller conversations going. Its like going to a bar and one group is talking about sex and another is talking about sex and BJ's. So the bartender tells them they have to sit together if the want to talk about that because he can't have more than one group taking up space talking about almost the same thing. Fewer people in a conversation makes it easier to follow and participate where as a larger conversation makes it difficult unless you are in the middle all the time. But thats not my point with this thread.

This is just about finding a thread you might have created and then you come back to find an answer only to never find your post again.

Upvote 0
They try to force everyone into the same conversation when in fact it usually works better with a few smaller conversations going. Its like going to a bar and one group is talking about sex and another is talking about sex and BJ's. So the bartender tells them they have to sit together if the want to talk about that because he can't have more than one group taking up space talking about almost the same thing. Fewer people in a conversation makes it easier to follow and participate where as a larger conversation makes it difficult unless you are in the middle all the time. But thats not my point with this thread.

This is just about finding a thread you might have created and then you come back to find an answer only to never find your post again.

To me it is more like having a course catalog for a University and having 3 or 4 classes in advanced calculus with the same teach and syllabus. With 3 classes you have 4 students per class, but with 1 you have 12.

If someone comes here looking for answers, it is easier to look through 1 - 12 page thread than 4 - 3 page threads.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
If someone comes here looking for answers, it is easier to look through 1 - 12 page thread than 4 - 3 page threads.

I think it would be easier going through 4 -3 page threads. Take for example the problems after froyo thread. Instead of people being able to look at a thread with an individual problem, they all got rolled into this one humongous thread that if you want to find something you have to sit there and read through half of the day.

Plus I think people are just getting discouraged from posting in the incredible thread. I mean, when I log in I just want to go to one page and read it all, not have to go search the android general forum, the tips and tricks forums, support and troubleshooting, etc.

Upvote 0
Seems to me if you are using the search function appropriately you wouldn't have an issue no matter how the threads exist. At least that's what I do.
+1 Who looks at more then the first 3 pages of a slower moving forum? Use search! I don't really get how so many double/triple threads get posted, half the time when I make a thread the title search finds my answer before I even post it..

Upvote 0
Seems to me if you are using the search function appropriately you wouldn't have an issue no matter how the threads exist. At least that's what I do.
This.

You do realize that there would be NO moved threads IF the MEMBERS actually used the subforums correctly. That would mean for people to stop purposely posting into the main forum to get more views in their thread and/or to actually take the time to read and acknowledge the subforums that were made. In addition to not being lazy and just making a new thread when there is either: 1. already a discussion about it going on 2. already answered 3. already a thread that no one knows the answer yet a member feels compelled to make their own thread with the exact same problem instead of bumping an old thread. Now, take a step back and think about that. If all those things occurred, no one would complain about moving/merging threads because, well there wouldn't be any. But instead, this unfortunately has still yet to be accomplished and mods/guides are used as scapegoats.

And for those saying that finding an answer in a 3-4 page thread is easier than 1 big one. Imagine if you had 20 3-4 page threads. Do you REALLY want to go through that many threads?

For the most part, people that complain about moving/merging threads are ones that fall under the categories listed above. People that do utilize the search function (yes, its going to take effort and time) and the subforums in the correct manner, are those that never have any problems and typically their threads never get merged/moved.

Edit: I don't think people are actually thinking this out, and either way, we as a staff are going to lose. Move threads - people complain that theres too much moving. Don't move threads - people complain that there isn't enough moving and the forum is too cluttered with repetitive stuff. We can't please everyone, so we take action as how we see fit would be best suited for the forum.

Reactions: rcrott1 and euph_22
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones