• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's not about the phone, it's about the platform

There are some very good opinions on here, but I do always think that Apple is ahead of us - and even if they're going in totally the wrong direction today, they've got the ability to change direction tomorrow and make it all right again.

Given how they managed to pull off the biggest PR con trick in the world with the whole antenna saga, such that now people are mostly of the opinion that all mobiles are just as bad (probably worse), you really cannot underestimate them.

They opened their new Covent Garden store today (largest in world, near to the next largest in London) and there were plenty of people queuing up for the grand opening which was totally over the top. Fact is, I bet every person in the queue loved the experience and the first 4,000 getting their free T-Shirt (wonder how many are now on eBay?!).

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Apple would never admit to making an error of judgement.. they'll just reinvent themselves.

Steve Jobs said 3G was a waste of time, given easy access to Wi-Fi, and pointed out how EDGE was plenty fast enough - that was to launch the 2G iPhone.

Of course, we got a 3G version in the end.

Steve Jobs has said netbooks are no good at anything, but you can be assured that he'll eventually put out a smaller MacBook (there's a smaller MacBook Air coming) and say 'and now they ARE good at anything'.

A lot of people will see through the spin, but enough people obviously don't - and then you've got all the loyal Apple fans who will preach the message and shoot down those who dare point out that Apple is now doing something it always said it wouldn't.

Reactions: IOWA and jroc
Upvote 0
[...]Apple had to do things with the Mac as it has serious competition. Going with Intel was genius - as you now made it easy to run Windows on a Mac, and could now sell nice expensive MacBook's to people who wanted a PC - but the Apple style. With dual booting, people may well then come around to the Mac way of doing things, and in turn buy more Apple products and become another Apple 'disciple'.

I find it very ironic that Apple has to put Windows OS on a Mac to compete better in the PC market. I think the true winner in all this is (or will be) Microsoft.

Upvote 0
Erm, Microsoft already IS the winner in the PC market!

When I recently got an iMac to replace a Mac Mini and PC, I thought I'd be dual booting so the wife could continue to use Windows 7 (which she is very comfortable with). However, I made an effort to get her to try using OSX and now she's never even once gone back to the PC.

Her main concern was being able to use Word, Excel etc - and that's no problem - and the second was email, and Apple Mail is considerably better than Outlook Express ever was.

I am sure there are many people out there who would not give up their PC altogether, which has probably been the number one reason people stick with Windows.

Upvote 0
I am sure there are many people out there who would not give up their PC altogether, which has probably been the number one reason people stick with Windows.
i'd say it's because macs have always been so overpriced - there's no practical difference between windows and os x for someone who just wants to check their emails and pay their bills, so they're gonna go for the cheaper option

Upvote 0
I agree to a degree about price, but why do people buy luxury cars or pay to go 'upper class' over economy?

Apple is a brand that plenty of people want to buy into. The high price is what makes people aspire to own one.

I don't think there is anyone out there that would say you couldn't buy a similarly specified PC for a lot less. And there are also brands trying to sell PCs at a premium to the exact same person that might otherwise buy an iMac.

Upvote 0
I agree to a degree about price, but why do people buy luxury cars or pay to go 'upper class' over economy?

Apple is a brand that plenty of people want to buy into. The high price is what makes people aspire to own one.

I don't think there is anyone out there that would say you couldn't buy a similarly specified PC for a lot less. And there are also brands trying to sell PCs at a premium to the exact same person that might otherwise buy an iMac.

I agree there are people who want to pay a higher price to get a more "premium feel." For luxury cars when people may more they actually get something that generally to a certain extent works better or performs better. But IMO I don't see that with Mac. I play a lot of PC games and for me a Mac just won't do even it was able to run Windows. My friend just got a new Mac which I won't deny looks nice and feels nice but it just doesn't have that performance my comp does (which cost A LOT less as well). Even if I could afford to buy a Mac, I wouldn't personally.

Edit: Although this might be different for someone who does a lot of graphics work or video editing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones