• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's out! It's out! No more rumors!

does anyone know where to give suggestions to samsung, so they could build even more better stuff?
the phone just needs simple things like physical next/previous/pause and flashlight buttons on the side, and ofc an fm radio... dunno if radio is already in or not, but without those buttons, it will be like an armless truck driver....

Upvote 0
Thread says: Its out and no more rumors.

Well, we all got nothing to show for and not until 5 weeks later. Its a normal norm for Samsung. Even their new TV release is like that, few months later.

And iphone 6 will be here next week, but it is using 2012 technology. Go check out their specs. LOL

I wish I can do something about I want it NOW, but I cant n its stretching my balls a bit. :-(

I don't think actual spec numbers really mean much to the average non-techy consumer. Mention something like "QHD" to my father or sister, they just glaze over. The important thing, the iPhone 6s are available next week, they're larger than the previous ones, they can make phone calls, can do iMessage and Facebook, can install fart apps, and they're made by Apple, that's it.

Upvote 0
Interesting screen.

I was just at the Verizon store and about to take home a note 3, it's upgrade time and the larger screen/slim bezel/faux leather back and chrome sides had me drooling.

Told them to hold the upgrade until I get some more feedback and am damn glad I did wait, check this out. Samsung US | TVs - Tablets - Smartphones - Cameras - Laptops - Refrigerators

Apparently the U.S. version will have a side screen of some sort. Wonder when it hits the shelves because I dropped my old phone and cracked the screen this morning (had a protector ordered 2 days ago) and this. ...ackkkk.

Still functions so I can wait but was about to go back to store for the N3, now I'm all discombobulated........:D

Upvote 0
Interesting screen.

I was just at the Verizon store and about to take home a note 3, it's upgrade time and the larger screen/slim bezel/faux leather back and chrome sides had me drooling.

Told them to hold the upgrade until I get some more feedback and am damn glad I did wait, check this out. Samsung US | TVs - Tablets - Smartphones - Cameras - Laptops - Refrigerators

Apparently the U.S. version will have a side screen of some sort. Wonder when it hits the shelves because I dropped my old phone and cracked the screen this morning (had a protector ordered 2 days ago) and this. ...ackkkk.

Still functions so I can wait but was about to go back to store for the N3, now I'm all discombobulated........:D

Yeah, that's the Note Edge...a derivative of the Note 4.

Upvote 0
I find the edge screen to be an ergonomic nightmare. I hold my phone in my left hand 90% of the time. I will wait for reviews and see what more people think of it.

I totally agree. Both edges of a phone that large are required for holding it securely. I'm typing this on a Nokia 1520 and if I only had one edge for grasping this beast I'd be in trouble. The edge screen is a gimmick, I'll pass.

Upvote 0
I don't think actual spec numbers really mean much to the average non-techy consumer. Mention something like "QHD" to my father or sister, they just glaze over. The important thing, the iPhone 6s are available next week, they're larger than the previous ones, they can make phone calls, can do iMessage and Facebook, can install fart apps, and they're made by Apple, that's it.

As much as we bring up "2012!" with Apple, it's remarkable to me that in 2014 we're still even harping on specs. We've learned over and over again the "spec race" doesn't really mean anything between OS's. Windows and iOS don't run the same way Android does, and a great many Android phones with cutting edge specs run like shit. So what's the difference? I own an LG G3 currently. There is a lot I like about the phone. Some things I love. What I don't like is the lagginess and the occasional heating. But...hey, 2014 specs so no worries, right? Phone is PERFECT, cause SPECS!

Lots of reasons to choose any one OS over another. At this point though, specs just aren't a good argument in most cases. Even between Android phones.

Upvote 0
As much as we bring up "2012!" with Apple, it's remarkable to me that in 2014 we're still even harping on specs. We've learned over and over again the "spec race" doesn't really mean anything between OS's. Windows and iOS don't run the same way Android does, and a great many Android phones with cutting edge specs run like shit. So what's the difference? I own an LG G3 currently. There is a lot I like about the phone. Some things I love. What I don't like is the lagginess and the occasional heating. But...hey, 2014 specs so no worries, right? Phone is PERFECT, cause SPECS!

Lots of reasons to choose any one OS over another. At this point though, specs just aren't a good argument in most cases. Even between Android phones.

I agree with you mostly except when talking about the screen. I like having the best screen possible.

Upvote 0

I think it is an obvious combination of proper specs combined with optimized operating system. Almost always, it is the custom skin a manufacturer puts onto the android device that cause most of the issues. Vanilla Android should be left that way, and any customization should be done by the end user. I do wish Google would force manufacturers hand more in this area. As far as hardware specs - it still matters. As pointed out, display differences for example can be a BIG difference in how a phone looks and works. Battery size. The ability of the processor to throttle or ramp up as necessary. Lack of enough RAM. These are several areas where hardware specs are very important. I upgrade every year for a reason - the hardware specs have always been worth the upgrade IMHO. Although I think my N3 is more than fine for another year, I will still likely be getting the N4 unless something very unexpectedly negative is discovered with it. Like poor battery life, or very weak radios. I don't see those things getting worse though, the one knock on the N3 is the weakish radios. In any case, both hardware and software matter, especially custom factory skins and bloat. Lastly, the ability to Root should not be left off the list - I absolutely need root priveledges for several reasons. If the N4 or future android devices lock root out, it will be a huge negative against them for many of us.

Upvote 0
I think it is an obvious combination of proper specs combined with optimized operating system. Almost always, it is the custom skin a manufacturer puts onto the android device that cause most of the issues. Vanilla Android should be left that way, and any customization should be done by the end user. I do wish Google would force manufacturers hand more in this area. As far as hardware specs - it still matters. As pointed out, display differences for example can be a BIG difference in how a phone looks and works. Battery size. The ability of the processor to throttle or ramp up as necessary. Lack of enough RAM. These are several areas where hardware specs are very important. I upgrade every year for a reason - the hardware specs have always been worth the upgrade IMHO. Although I think my N3 is more than fine for another year, I will still likely be getting the N4 unless something very unexpectedly negative is discovered with it. Like poor battery life, or very weak radios. I don't see those things getting worse though, the one knock on the N3 is the weakish radios. In any case, both hardware and software matter, especially custom factory skins and bloat. Lastly, the ability to Root should not be left off the list - I absolutely need root priveledges for several reasons. If the N4 or future android devices lock root out, it will be a huge negative against them for many of us.

I totally agree about vanilla android. Since last fall I've owned a Note 3, two LG G2s and now a Nexus 5. Vanilla is the way to go with Android.

Upvote 0
Here is a display link I also posted in the 6 Plus thread. The Note 4 display is apparently the real deal as far as second generation Qhd tech. Makes the G3 display seem like a retro tech, power sucking dinosaur.

Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Thanks for the link. I saw another article talking about how good the display is, but this article is even better. Makes me drool over getting the N4. Unless an unexpected negative about it comes to surface, I will be upgrading from my N3 once the N4 is out and root has been achieved.

Upvote 0
The N4 display will have to be so good it makes me want to lick it before I spend the cash. I am now wanting an Alienware 13 laptop when released this winter... getting both would be a fatal error with the wife :(

S4 and the Alienware 13 seems a better total mix than just a Note 4 :)

Wive's should not have that much say on a dude.... lol. But that's a discussion for another thread on a different forum!!

Upvote 0
The N4 display will have to be so good it makes me want to lick it before I spend the cash. I am now wanting an Alienware 13 laptop when released this winter... getting both would be a fatal error with the wife :(

S4 and the Alienware 13 seems a better total mix than just a Note 4 :)

I'm not so confident in Alienware any more, Dell owns them now, not that Dell is any slouch by any means but when big box takes over they usually fubar the product. Personally I love my Dell Venue 8 and maybe the Alienware is still good to go but my last gaming laptop purchase is the one I'm using now, a Toshiba.

Upvote 0
I'm not so confident in Alienware any more, Dell owns them now, not that Dell is any slouch by any means but when big box takes over they usually fubar the product. Personally I love my Dell Venue 8 and maybe the Alienware is still good to go but my last gaming laptop purchase is the one I'm using now, a Toshiba.

I still have the Alienware M11X and it incredibly (IMO) still plays games great. Also have the Dell Venue 11 and that rocks too. Better tablet battery life than my Note 2014. A windows device getting better battery life than Android- Wild. I guess the Qhd display on the Note 2014 has something to do about the battery life ;) Real pretty, but REAL battery thirsty.

Anyhoo, Samsung REALLY needs to work on leak info tactics. They do an awkwardly presented launch event and then about zip afterwards while Apple has the media field pretty much to themselves. Demo units should be in the hands of the media NOW. Again, this is probably due to the firmware not being ready yet and Samsung scurrying behind the scenes to have a final core rom release candidate for flashing. Just my guess to rationlize the apparent lack of information after a launch.

The launch now seems a profound waste of money. Pretty sad way for Samsung to expense a trip just for good beer ;) :) Berlin baby! :) :beer:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones