• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's said high voltage will stress battery and wear it out in the long run?

louis2008

Nov 13, 2015
From a lot of Google search it's undeniable that it's not recommended to charge a phone fully, not even 90%, best between 25% to 75% at all times because high voltage will stress battery and ruin it in the long run.

I am wondering, what if someone who can strictly keep the habit of charging and discharging a phone ALWAYS between 25% and 75% which is the ideal practice, then what is the reason of his battery failing at last? I truly believe that his battery will finally fail one day

Batteries are designed to last about 2-4 years on average- half may go longer, but half will go less than that.

Think of charging as a unit, rather than a percentage.
If you only charge your device to 80% or so, then you are screwing yourself out of potential charge life, which means that you will need to charge more often.

Batteries and devices both have voltage and heat sensors to prevent damage to the battery.
(Yes, techically higher charge voltage and temperature can degrade batteries faster anyway, but they will still survive the prescribed amout of time.)

When you charge a battery from 0% up to 100%, that would be one full charge unit.
If it was 50% up to 100% then that is half a charge unit.

So you could do that twice and it would be the same as in the first case.

These batteries are designed to last a certain number of full charge units, generally typical use over 2-4 years.
No matter how you divide those units, the total remains unchanged.

So you are only annoying yourself and not allowing full potential of your battery if you never complete a charge.

Probably the two worst things are heat and charging from completely dead.
Avoid these two things if at all possible.

The rest is useless worry created by people that need to write junk.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
FWIW Google did introduce charging limits with Android 12, where the phone can be set to not charge above a certain amount. On my Galaxy Note20 Ultra, it's stop charging at 85%. I have enabled this, as I rarely use more than 40-50% in a single day with this phone. Although when I'm travelling, I do want to the phone to be charged 100% before I start out.

Upvote 0
FWIW Google did introduce charging limits with Android 12, where the phone can be set to not charge above a certain amount. On my Galaxy Note20 Ultra, it's stop charging at 85%. I have enabled this, as I rarely use more than 40-50% in a single day with this phone. Although when I'm travelling, I do want to the phone to be charged 100% before I start out.

同志的英语有待改善

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones