1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

iTunes compatibility?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tlo07, Jul 11, 2011.

1. tlo07

tlo07 Member
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Hi Folks,

I have an iPhone 4, which I like, but I have an upgrade coming up at the end of July and I have had my eye on the Atrix. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should get it right away on my upgrade date or wait to see what is announced for the iPhone 5. I've really been warming up to the Android OS ever since I rooted my Nook Color and that is why I am now leaning towards getting the Atrix. Is there an easy way to get my iTunes music onto the Android via an app or do I just have to drag and drop the files onto the SD card? I understand they have to be the DRM-free (correct term?) files to work on the Android.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. ROCer

ROCer Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Electrical Technician
    Upstate NY
  3. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    Personally, I hate the iTunes application. I never used it, even when I had an iPod (I used the WinAmp plugin).

Anyway, I've pulled the music from iPods/iPhones with no problems using this free app -> iPodExtract | Chad Austin

What I did for those people was extract the music from the iphone/ipod directly to a folder on their PC as MP3 files. (And, according to my friends, even the DRM protected files copied... A claim I can not verify first hand.)

Once I had the files on their PC, we copied them to the SD card on their Blackberry or Android Phones.

We were then able to remove the bloated iTunes app from their PC's.

4. bgator

bgator Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    I would wait and see what is announced for the iPhone5, especially since you like your iPhone4. My wife has and iPhone4, and it's a great phone.

I like iTunes, and I use it to store all my music. There are lots of applications that will do a one-time copy of your music to the Atrix.

However, because I use iTunes so much I am always adding new CDs to my iTunes library and making or editing playlists. I haven't found any programs that I think are very good at syncing these changes to my Atrix. They either don't sync all the changes, or they are very slow. I want something that works as seemlessly as iTunes when it syncs my iPod nano. This is probably my single biggest complaint about the Atrix.

5. WolfmanRobby

None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    This would be one of the main reasons I HATE iTunes.
    I prefer to have full control over my devices, and that includes what get's added and removed. I always advised everyone I knew to disable the auto-sync in iTunes and advised them to manually manage the media on their devices. Most turned their noses up at me... until one bad sync wiped out their devices. Then they would come running to me for help to recover their music.

But, for those that are addicted to having Lord Steve Jobs run their lives and control everything, then just have iTunes mange the music on your Android...
    Here are 2 methods:
    1) ‪How to Sync iTunes Music to Your Android Phone [PC Version]‬‏ - YouTube

2) TuneSync Sync Android

6. bgator

bgator Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    I've tried DoubleTwist. It's good at doing a one-time sync of my iTunes library to my Atrix, but it's not good at subsequently syncing any changes I make in iTunes. I might try TuneSync and see how it works.

I don't get your whole diatribe against Steve Jobs and Apple. iTunes and the iPod/iPhone work together as well or better than DoubleTwist/WinAmp/etc... and the Atrix. I don't lose any "control" by using iTunes.

I'm just looking for a program that syncs iTunes with my Atrix as well as iTunes syncs with an iPod/iPhone. Android has been out for what, almost 3 years? There should be a good program by now for syncing iTunes with Android devices. It's not Steve Jobs' fault that such a program still doesn't exist.

7. WolfmanRobby

None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    My problem is not just with Steve Jobs, but he represents what I hate in Software/Hardware vendors.

When I buy something, it is MINE. I should have the right to choose what apps I can load on it, what music it on it, what I do with it.

I've been very disappointed with my Atrix for the fact that Motorola locked down the bootloader, and AT&T blocks non-market apps (and even filters the apps you can get in the Market.) Just like Apple filters what apps you can install on an iPhone.

I own this phone, not AT&T, not Motorola... and if it was an iPhone, not Apple. I SHOULD NOT have to Hack it (Root, Jailbreak, what ever you want to call it, it's HACKING the phone) to be able to install and do what I want to with it.

This is one (And one of the FEW) area's that RIM has right on the BlackBerry phones. Yes, they have a Market to get apps they approve of, but I could install ANY application I wanted over the air, or from my PC without having to "Root/JailBreak" it. I could install any version of the OS I wanted from any phone company (AT&T was notoriously slow in releasing OS updates).

I also hate ANY application that tries to manage MY data for me. Itunes is the perfect example of that. The feature you love (Keeping things in sync automatically) causes me HELL in my life/job. As an IT guy, everyone comes to me to fix their problems. And, I will tell you, no less than 5 to 6 times a year, someone brings me an iPod or iPhone that their iTunes auto synced and screwed up. Sometimes they plugged it into a new computer or a friends computer and wiped everything out, sometimes it was just a failed sync that corrupted the iTunes database.

I trust NOTHING to run automatically. And, the more important something is to me, the more important it is that I make sure that it is done right.

Apple, AT&T and other phone companies/makers need to learn that, while they build them, once they sell them, they can't control our lives.

I'm very eager for Gingerbread and the ability to install any app I want, Market or not to MY phone. Without having to get approval from the Emperor Sitting in his throne in the Big Blue Death Star called AT&T. And, iPhone users should have the same rights to install what they want on their iPhones without Steve Jobs having to rubber stamp it, or call them perverts!

OK, there's my "Not enough coffee, anti-The-Man" rant for the day! Tune in tomorrow when I go off on people who send vague, cryptic emails to the Help desk, fail to respond to our request for clarification/more info, then get mad because we didn't solve their problems!!
    :D:D:D:D:D

8. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Guest
    None
    Salling Media Sync works well for me

9. bgator

bgator Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

10. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    UK
    The standard motorola pc medialink software seems to like synching from itunes, so long as you only want to sync playlists.

I have tried doubletwist and their ilk and they do not work very well, but the standard software seems to sync playlists well enough

Of course I may be missing the point