• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iTunes vs Android discussion

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the opening poster, but for me, this thread only serves to show how utterly stupid Google has been to make syncing to iTunes virtually impossible without third party software (and a lot of that doesn't work very well).

The fact is, Apple stole a march with iTunes. It's a brilliant way of organising music, podcasts and films etc., and the overwhelming majority of people are using it. The way it syncs with an iPhone or iPod is seamless and beautifully simple.

Then Android comes along and people immediately want to know how to push all of their stuff onto their new phone. And the answer is... with difficulty. I know a few people who have tried Android and gone back to Apple for this very reason and I don't understand why Google don't fix it.

I don't care about work-arounds or third party apps, I want to plug my phone into my Mac and drag my music to the phone. Simple. But I can't.

It's like designing a brand new care for the roads, but not including a steering wheel.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the opening poster, but for me, this thread only serves to show how utterly stupid Google has been to make syncing to iTunes virtually impossible without third party software (and a lot of that doesn't work very well).

Google has no interest in funding Apple's iTunes. Surely that makes sense? The ecosystem wars are on - and there is no company interested in helping you exist in the other one. Amazon made that VERY clear with the Kindle Fire, and Google is making it VERY clear on Android.

IMHO, if a person is THAT tied into iTunes? They should probably stick with Apple products - because that is Apple's end game.

The fact is, Apple stole a march with iTunes. It's a brilliant way of organising music, podcasts and films etc., and the overwhelming majority of people are using it. The way it syncs with an iPhone or iPod is seamless and beautifully simple.

And I can't stand iTunes. I'd rather throw my legs up over my head and scrape the back of my thighs with a cheese grater.

I want control, access and freedom. These are the antithesis of Apple's mission. Some people are willing to give that up for "it just works"; I am not.

Then Android comes along and people immediately want to know how to push all of their stuff onto their new phone. And the answer is... with difficulty. I know a few people who have tried Android and gone back to Apple for this very reason and I don't understand why Google don't fix it.

Money.

Again, if someone came to me and said "I got $10k wrapped up in iTunes - should I get a Samsung Galaxy S3 or an iPhone 5?" - I'll tell them they BETTER go with the iPhone.

I don't care about work-arounds or third party apps, I want to plug my phone into my Mac and drag my music to the phone. Simple. But I can't.

If you weren't using iTunes you could. That's not Google's fault. I have about 5TB of music, videos, movies, TV - sitting on my network. I can plug my Galaxy Nexus in and drag and drop files all day long. NO CONVERSION on videos - from AVI to MKV; doesn't matter - everything plays.

Does THAT sound simple? Doesn't that sound GREAT? Without iTunes - I have that right now - and I didn't have to pay the Fruit Fee to get it.

It's like designing a brand new care for the roads, but not including a steering wheel.

Well my friend .. with all due respect - we can agree to disagree. iTunes = prison to me.

I am kinda curious though. You obviously love the Apple ecosystem. Why did you get an Android phone?

Upvote 0
We came from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy Nexus. I hated iTunes; it was one of the reasons we switched. I viewed it as a black box over which I had no control. I could not even tell it where to put the backups it created. I could not extract a part of the backup without paying a hefty fee for a 3rd party program. Now with my Android phone I have lots of choices. Yes, choices breed complexity. How will I ever decide what's best? Speaking of backing up the phone, I now have a method of backing up the Android phone far superior to iTunes. It's Titanium Backup and Titanium Media Sync working in combination. I can backup all apps and their associated data and anything I choose to backup from the sdcard. All of it is automatic on a schedule I choose. The backup includes home screen setting, call log, SMS, etc, etc. I can select where to backup eg, PC, cloud, etc. It's all about freedom of choices. The contrast with iTunes is simply amazing :) The negative is that I had to select which apps did what I wanted and figure out how to use them. Admittedly, many people are either incapapable or unwilling to do the same. Guess, that's what makes life interesting.
Pete

Upvote 0
Personally i did not find it that difficult to use iTunes with Android.

Using programs like iSyncr or Double Twist, not only can you transfer easily when you connect your phone to a computer, you can also transfer seamlessly over Wifi :)

I used to use it until Google Music Manager came around, now i just upload them to the cloud and have them on my device at all times!

Upvote 0
And I can't stand iTunes. I'd rather throw my legs up over my head and scrape the back of my thighs with a cheese grater.

Here's to that.. hah. :D

Now I wouldn't be using iTunes, except for one thing, iTunes U. It's such a great resource of materials that makes my job much easier, all for free, and can't get anywhere else.

I want control, access and freedom. These are the antithesis of Apple's mission. Some people are willing to give that up for "it just works"; I am not.

Now I just take what iTunes U downloads and copy and paste them to my Android devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones