• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I've had it with 2.2...back to 2.1

disciple87

Lurker
Aug 15, 2010
The battery life is HORRIBLE, and charge times are ridiculous. I wiped the stats, changed the setCPU settings to what people recommended, bump charged, tried all the kernels, nothing worked for me. I tried out a few different roms and they just seem to be sluggish and buggy. Finally I got tired of carrying my charger with me in my pocket and used a nandroid backup to get back to the stock 2.1. My incredible FLIES now, and battery life is back to where I can actually use the phone and its features. I am still rooted and still using the 2.15 radio, but I'll be waiting for Verizon's froyo OTA before I go back.

Hmmm, I'm rooted with s-off. I had Skyraider 2.5.2 with stock kernel and 2.15 radio. In the 2 days that I had the rom, I think I also saw poor battery life. I don't care much for push data or auto-sync, so I had all of that turned off. What was troubling to me was that app/processes that I would kill would reappear by themselves, which may have contributed to the battery life. I never had that issue in 2.1, so I went back to stock rom for now. I removed all the bloatware and I'm happy with the performance. Checking in my task killer, running the same apps, I would have about 100MB of ram free in skyraider, but i have about 140-150MB free constantly in 2.1.

Upvote 0
live wallpapers? those drain the battery pretty good. any apps that constantly need to be syncing something? some weather app or news app constantly updating itself? you keeping your GPS on all the time? watching alot of videos? I watch alot of videos so my battery life is pretty short but that's not a froyo thing (unless you consider the fact that I wouldn't be able to watch the videos without froyo)

I'm running skyraider 2.5.2 and I seem to have ok battery life. setCPU probably helps, it all but shuts down my CPU when the screen is off.

Upvote 0
Just like another thread, it depends on what combination of three (four, actually) things you have:

1. Version of 2.2
2. Kernel
3. Radio
4. Also the apps you use and their behavior with the new firmware & software

I have Skyraider 2.52 Sense with the kernel it came with and 2.15 radio. Battery is just as good or better than than with 2.1. I do not use active social apps or live wall papers. Battery hogs, IMO.

BTW, folks that use live wallpapers and a lot of active widgets should expect shorter battery life. If a person is concerned about battery life, why use them in the first place? Seems a self-fulfilled prophecy.

Upvote 0
Ok, been seing absolutely terrible battery life since I started flashing 2.2 roms and just seemed that no matter what I did it wouldn't get any better.
Until last night while reading through this and a couple other battery threads, I saw someone talking about "fixing permissions" in ROM Manager. I did this last night, gave my batt a full charge last night and now I am 7 hours in and still at 89%! Never have I had batt life like this!

Second Wave, 2.05 radio, King#3 without setcpu and no adjusting.

Upvote 0
skyraider 2.5.2 w/ sense, king #3 kernel, 2.15 radio. charged to full (w/ phone off, til led green), wiped battery stats, took it off the charger. currently at 13h 39m uptime, 2h 39m awake time: 77% battery left. i am using setcpu to clock down with the screen off, and step down from 1152 overclocking max as the battery drains...

i vote for it being a rogue app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones