• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I've had it with Android

countryman

Aug 17, 2012
Samsung Ace 2. KIES software gives me grief.

Then I get told/forced to upgrade my phones firmware 'as it might make it run faster'. Wrong. It now runs like a tortoise on Valium.

My Ace tells me that I need to load up Android File Transfer on my Mac. Then when I do that AFT tells me that it can't find my device.

Android sucks. Period. Only another year of my life to waste using this awful phone/OS before I can swap over to an iPhone.

I'm sorry you're having problems with your device :(

Have you tried performing a factory reset after installing the update? It can be painful to lose some of the data when doing so, but sometimes it can really make a device run better.

Yup, tried that. Twice! The latest update (Jelly Bean) runs like a dog plus they've mucked about with all the menu options, keyboard layout...for instance, where has that voice recognition microphone gone?

Upvote 0
I'm actually surprised that Samsung updated it to Jelly Bean. Looking at it's specs, being a dual-core 800MHz with only 768 RAM and 4GB internal hard drive. Many phones with similar RAM and hard drive didn't get update to ICS let alone JB. One thing you could look into would be downgrading back to a revision that worked for you using Odin.

Upvote 0
I'm actually surprised that Samsung updated it to Jelly Bean. Looking at it's specs, being a dual-core 800MHz with only 768 RAM and 4GB internal hard drive. Many phones with similar RAM and hard drive didn't get update to ICS let alone JB. One thing you could look into would be downgrading back to a revision that worked for you using Odin.

I am surprised too.. based on the specs. I don't know this phone.

OP.. did you load a custom ROM??

Upvote 0
Android sucks. Period. Only another year of my life to waste using this awful phone/OS before I can swap over to an iPhone.

Okay, bye.. :D

Specs are not the issue, the phone can handle JB, it's a software issue. Unfortunately it looks like a half arsed update for a half arsed phone and it's causing problems.

Flashing the latest firmware available gives the user more memory available and smooths out performance but it's not available in every region yet and depending on network/carrier some Ace 2 users will never get it

Upvote 0
Android or apple. Or Windows. Or even blackberry. No device is perfect.

You may very well be happier with apple. Just don't expect any freedom.

Apparently the OP is using a Mac. So should be OK living within the Apple ecosystem.

BTW I have a Macbook myself, but I'm not prepared to go completely Apple, I like my Android devices.

Upvote 0
Ive read a few people saying the Ace2 just cant handle JB so flash it back to ICS or even GB :)
Better still, see if theres a more pure android rom for it.
Please dont judge Android based on a low end samsung phone. It doesnt run android, it runs a heavily skinned rom BASED on android :beer:

This.

Basically you get what you paid for, a low end phone isn't representative of an entire OS.

Upvote 0
But they don't market it as such.

Think it depends on where you are and what country you're in, as to how it's marketed and priced. Where I am the Ace 2 is around equivalent of $150-190 USD, so definitely within the low end and budget catagory. Whereas the iPhone 5 is equivalent of $600 USD, and there is no low end budget iPhone, they're expensive. But then high end Samsungs, like the S4 and Note 2 can be expensive here as well.

At least with an iPhone you know exactly what you are getting.

You have a choice of two, the 4S or 5 and that's it. :D

Upvote 0
But they don't market it as such. At least with an iPhone you know exactly what you are getting.

Dragged out an old PC laptop and will have to try and downgrade back to GB. What waste of time.

U, yes they do. They market it as an affordable Android phone for about $150. Seriously, you expecting that to work as good as a $600 iphone is like expecting a $300 netbook to work as good as a top of the line $1500 laptop.

If you want something that works well, get something that's of the same league.

Reactions: Stannis the Mannis
Upvote 0
U, yes they do. They market it as an affordable Android phone for about $150. Seriously, you expecting that to work as good as a $600 iphone is like expecting a $300 netbook to work as good as a top of the line $1500 laptop.

If you want something that works well, get something that's of the same league.

Unfortunately some people will keep expecting their low end phones to work as good as high end and that usually ruins their perception of Android.

Upvote 0
You're missing the point. When the Ace 2 came out, it had an OS appropriate to its capabilities/performance...ie Gingerbread.

Then Samsung (I am assuming) decided to 'upgrade' it to Jelly Bean...a version of Android that leaves the Ace 2 gasping for air.

Have you factory reset if after the update? Its a issue of too many changes in the underlying system from the old version. I had a similar issue with upgrading from Honeycomb to ICS on my Tab. Lag was unbearable. I factory reset the thing and did not restore any data not connected to cloud. It worked beautifully because it was an issue with the difference in partition schemes of the OS.

The Ace 2 has enough power to run JB. The Galaxy Fame has a single core 800mhz cpu and it runs JB no issues aside from being slower than more powerful phones which is to be expected.

EDIT:
I could point out that JB is actually smoother and lighter than GB on resources, considering that phones like the S2, which had GB, is faster on JB.

Upvote 0
Have you factory reset if after the update? Its a issue of too many changes in the underlying system from the old version. I had a similar issue with upgrading from Honeycomb to ICS on my Tab. Lag was unbearable. I factory reset the thing and did not restore any data not connected to cloud. It worked beautifully because it was an issue with the difference in partition schemes of the OS.

The Ace 2 has enough power to run JB. The Galaxy Fame has a single core 800mhz cpu and it runs JB no issues aside from being slower than more powerful phones which is to be expected.

EDIT:
I could point out that JB is actually smoother and lighter than GB on resources, considering that phones like the S2, which had GB, is faster on JB.

Yes I did do a factory reset but thanks for the suggestion.

Out of curiosity, where does anyone go to find out what all the menu and other changes are? Like the missing microphone icon on the keyboard (for using Voice Recognition when entering text) ?

Upvote 0
Seem to be well and truly stuffed. All the links I have found on the web all point to the same article on how to downgrade to Gingerbread. But the links they use makes you end up with a Russian phone. Right at the end of the article is a very poorly written paragraph that offers no help whatsoever in loading the phone with your own language.

Upvote 0
Seem to be well and truly stuffed. All the links I have found on the web all point to the same article on how to downgrade to Gingerbread. But the links they use makes you end up with a Russian phone. Right at the end of the article is a very poorly written paragraph that offers no help whatsoever in loading the phone with your own language.

Here's a link to all the firmware files, just search for the I8160 (Galaxy Ace 2). http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Then download the correct one for your country/carrier and follow the instructions. Instead of using their firmware file, use the one you download from sammobile

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones