1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I've had it with screen protectors

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jholinsc, Aug 21, 2012.

1. jholinsc

jholinsc Lurker

I have been a big Zagg proponent, but I'm through with them as well. Installations should not be as tricky as they are. I have sucessfully installed several Zagg invisible shields, but I've botched a few as well. The latest left me with streaks or abrasions where I used the squeegie. Film was wetted sufficiantly on both sides, but as I've come to discover, the amount of pressure you use to squeegie out the air bubbles and liquid is critical. You need enough to accomplish the goal, but too much and you are left with the streaks. I'm sick of it and I'm going naked! Ive got the Verizon case and holster so I'm pretty well protected. I learned a long time ago with my fascinate, not to carry my phone in my front pocket so it's either in my hand or in the holster.

2. nightowl66

nightowl66 Well-Known Member

I took the screen protector out of my otterbox defender and didn't have one on my dinc. always carry in my front pocket and have no scratches. They have gorilla glass for a reason.

3. iploya

iploya Android Enthusiast

Gorilla Glass v2 is tough, but toughness and scratch-resistance are two totally different material properties. GG2 is not scratch resistant to the point that it will not get scratches in daily use. Look up the Mohs hardness scale - it is a non-linear scale from 1 to 10, with talc being a 1, diamond being a 10. Anything that is higher in number will scratch anything with the same number or a lower number. For example, quartz (~7), which is found in sand, scratches ordinary glass (~5). Diamond (10) should never get scratched in ordinary use, and sapphire glass (~9) used on higher-end watch crystals will rarely if ever get scratched because so few materials in our normal environments are 9 or higher. Anecdotally speaking, experience tells me Gorilla Glass is definitely not a 9 and probably more like a 7.

That being said, Zagg shields suck - they have an orange peel appearance and lousy tactile feel. Try to find a store that sells Mybat brand screen protectors. That's what I use. I only used the Razr naked long enough to determine that it had some scratches.

Rachel A likes this.
  4. Daino92

Daino92 Member

I use Qmadix screen protectors. I seriously can't tell it's on, and it works great. I have had people ask me if I have one on cause they could not tell. Try to find that brand.

5. r9ball

r9ball Newbie

The regular screen protectors from Zagg I had felt like rubbery cellophane and dented fairly easily.
    I have tried the new Zagg HD version screen protector on an S3. The HD version is very clear and feels smooth.
    Unfortunately - they do not have it for Maxx yet,,,which is nuts.....maybe they will get their act together.
    But since the S3 screen is bigger than a Maxx, you could buy the HD protector for the S3 and then a sharp pair of scissors could make it fit.
    Good Luck

6. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Good luck!

I have a love/hate relationship with screen protectors TBH. I slapped one on phone after my wife put a nice scratch in her screen on her Razr. ;)

7. ghost0211

ghost0211 Member

not that it applies here but does the razr use the gorilla glass II that the s3 uses? that stuff is mad tough therefore i dont even care to use a cover- what sense would it make!?

8. PeninaD

PeninaD Member

Steinheil ultra crystal....really good, and I have never botched an installation. Really crystal clear.

9. iploya

iploya Android Enthusiast

Like I said, toughness and scratch-resistance are two different things. A material can be very tough but still easily scratch (e.g. iron), or very brittle but hard to scratch, or anything inbetween. GG2 (Gorilla Glass II) is tough in that if you pry on it or impact it, it will resist breaking, and even if it breaks it will still hold together like safety glass (you won't get pieces of glass falling off). But it is NOT all that scratch resistant and will develop scratches in normal everyday environments.

10. MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets Well-Known Member

11. xTye

xTye Well-Known Member

You'd think so...a one foot drop totaled my screen. Yeah, some glass that is.

12. fdnj48

fdnj48 Android Enthusiast

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews