• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I've rooted and am running Plane Jane... 2 Questions.

drtchocky

Jun 23, 2010
1) Right now, how would I go about trying out different roms and what wsteps would I need to take to do so? Is it as easy s placing the ROM and rebooting that special way and doing something?

2) How do I change fonts in plane jane, to the default one that comes with the phone?

Appreciate any help.

If you're asking these types of questions, perhaps you shouldn't be rooting at all. And if you have already begun the process and are just now asking these questions, you probably should have asked sooner.

That's not being nice. :eek:

There are different types of learners. I have always been successful in the "getting dirt on your hands" type of learning.

Ya know, not reading the manual, cuz heck, if I know a little I can figure out most of the other stuff...

Upvote 0
drtchocky, welcome to the forum! They're not trying to be mean it's just that there is already lots of information out there. If you look toward the top of the forum you will see stickies. Theses stickies are there becuase they have a lot of useful information. I, like you, like to get my hands dirty and learn on the fly. However, I also see as part of the getting my hands dirty doing some research. If everyone started a new thread without doing any research then the info would be very hard to find. It's always good practice to do searches, as a matter of fact a good way to do a search is to use google and at the end of your search put site:androidforums.com. You will usually get better results with that. After doing your research and you're stuck people will help you on this forum but if you haven't done your research unfortunately you will most likely get little help. I hope this helps and once again welcome.

Upvote 0
There's lots of info out there on how to load new ROMs, but not as much info on how to easily get your apps restored with their original settings, etc. Here's how I go about it.
1) Backup your apps + data with Titanium Backup. Pay the extra $1 to get the full version.
2) Place the .zip file of the ROM you want onto the highest level of your SD Card.
3) Boot into recovery
4) Do a Nand Backup from the backup/restore menu. This will allow you to load your Plain Jane (or whatever ROM you're coming from) as it is at the time of backup. It will be exactly the same. You should ALWAYS do this before flashing ANYTHING, even if you aren't changing ROMs. I like to toggle USB at this point from the Recovery menu and rename the backup so I can remember what it is. DO NOT LEAVE SPACES in the name of your backup or you will have trouble restoring it later.
5) Go to wipe menu and do a factory reset and a dalvik cache wipe (some updates to a currently flashed ROM will not require this step)
6) Flash your ROM .zip file from the flash zip from SD Card menu
7) Reboot - This usually takes much longer than a regular reboot.
8) Set up your google, facebook, etc. accounts
9) Go to Market and redownload Titanium backup.
10) Open Titanium backup and hit the menu button
11) Choose batch
12) Run restore missing apps + data. Make sure you restore the app data so you don't have to recustomize all of your apps.
13) Choose the apps you want to restore. As you flash more ROMs, you will have backed up apps that you don't want, so choose only the apps you want (for me usually the apps I downloaded from the market).
14) Let Titanium backup do its thing.
15) If you're running LauncherPro or ADW Launcher, your homescreens will be restored as they were, except the widgets won't work.
16) Delete "problem loading widgets" and add widgets that you had before (only if you're using a home alternative launcher like LauncherPro or ADW Launcher).
17) Set up android mail and other accounts. If you are using K9 mail or some other non-stock email account app, your email accounts will be restored when restoring the app + data.
18) Sit back and enjoy your new ROM!

This is how I do it every time. I guess I do a lot of steps, but it doesn't feel that way. I'm sure there are other ways to do it that may better. But this has worked for me every time.

Adding some tabs to help people find this better through the search function:
Restore apps
Switch ROMs
Load new ROM

Upvote 0
No problem. The stop being a noob attitude on here gets a little old.

If I might suggest a ROM, try out xtrROM. You can find links to it in the XDA forum. He's got a sense based and semi-sense based ROM. I use the semi-sense xtrROM (the Vanilla that embraces Sense). With it, I am able to overclock, run apps from my SD Card (A2SD), wifi tether, and the list goes on. It's the most stable and quick ROM I've tried. If you are dying to try out 2.2 (Froyo), KaosFroyo ROM is coming along very nicely as well. One of the few bugs left won't allow the camera to work right, which is a deal breaker for me. But he's constantly updating (on v24 now), so I'm sure I'll switch over soon when the camera issue is fixed.

Whatever ROM you choose, I hope you have some FUN.

Reactions: Lady756
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones