1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

J3(6) RAM stacks/crashes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Unmazing, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Unmazing

Unmazing Lurker

Sam J3(6) Boost (2016) 5.1.1 Phone was fine this morning. While charging, it recieved Twitch and Messenger updates.

When I picked it up, home screen pic was gone. Phone keeps freezing. Battery rapidly draining even when charging.

Cleared caches. Apps closed. Uninstalled Twitch and Messenger. Phone even crashes in safe mode, though slightly slower when staring at it, as opposed to not in safe mode. When not in safe mode "system" of ram use fills quicker, "apps" stays the same either way. The bar keeps filling until red, crashes, then is unresponsive for a bit.

Home screen loads very slow. Restart takes extra time. Home screen pic keeps going blank, I've tried changing the photo, same issue.

It crashed multiple times while typing this.

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

have you tried a hard reset yet? sounds like you might have to.
    ok just to be sure you have the j3 and not the j9, correct?

your phone is over 3 years old regardless of when you bought it or owned it. i'm not surprised you are having issues. batteries tend to have a shelf life of about 3-4 years depending on how you have used the phone. you might want to think about at least doing a factory reset. if you are still having issues after that then it might be time to start looking for a new phone.

3. Unmazing

Unmazing Lurker

Thanks for the reply! No battery nor other issues until today. I did mean J3, from 2016 (I got it new). It didn't offer a J3 forum option when I posted.

Do I back up data and then factory reset? Should I move pics to sd card?

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

well it was bound to happen at some point.....and it usually is never gradual. i would definitely do that. i would use smart switch to back everything up.

Unmazing and mikedt like this.
  5. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Yes, and your pics/videos should have been on the SD card all along- at least the ones that you know you want to keep.

Unmazing, mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  6. Unmazing

Unmazing Lurker

Thanks again for the help!

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Unmazing

Unmazing Lurker

Back in business and functioning well. I appreciated the responses. I just thought that I'd let you know. Thanks again!

olbriar, ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  8. ocnbrze

care to let us know what you did? it might help others who stumble upon your thread.

Unmazing likes this.
  9. Unmazing

Unmazing Lurker

Basically back up and restore.

I looked at Smart Switch and it had several meh reviews, so I simply googled up a few threads on back up and restore.

I put my photos on Google Photo that I wished to keep as I saw no sd card option, even though my phone said 4 photos were on the sd card. Google photo didn't come up at first after reboot, but it showed in a few minutes.

I did factory reset. The phone was stuck for several minutes, then reset.

Phone came up as new. I signed in to the necessary things, and returned a few photos to my phone. My contacts all came back, like when I last changed phones.

I've been resetting settings and a few minor things are gone (like old time ring tone) but that was expected. I'll probably be tweeking things for a day or so.

It runs fine now. Battery still great after 4 years (no jinx, I hope).

It was mildly stressful with the unknowns, but it runs like new now. Thankfully I recalled all my passwords...

ocnbrze and olbriar like this.
  10. ocnbrze

I use smart switch all the time......had no idea there are bad reviews about it. it works flawlessly. I wonder why there were bad reviews. it does exactly what it says it does. it especially makes everything easy when buying a new phone.

glad everything is working now. but I think you might want to at least start to think about upgrading at some point.

Unmazing likes this.
  11. Unmazing

Unmazing Lurker

Smart Switch had mostly good reviews, I didn't mean them disrespect. But "it didn't transfer everything...blah blah blah" was common, and I knew it would likely serve me well enough to just do the options that I was previously familiar with.

I have nothing of great value on my phone.

If you're offering to buy, I'll upgrade. ; ]

ocnbrze likes this.
  12. ocnbrze

Well my note 10+ is all I can handle right now........ but you can start to at least entertain the idea about upgrading.

plus who would want a device that's over 3 years old? ooooops no offense:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Unmazing likes this.
  13. Unmazing

Unmazing Lurker

For my purposes there would be little difference in a new device, and my low definition eyes ain't gonna notice how fancy the new screen is. I'm content, I'm no slave to capitalism's mind games.

ocnbrze likes this.

Samsung Galaxy J3 Pro Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J3 Pro release date was June 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 410 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

June 2016
Release Date
Reviews