1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

J5 decrypt eMMC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BuggyDroid, Jul 24, 2020.

1. BuggyDroid

BuggyDroid Lurker

Hey

a friend of mine accidentally deleted a few files on her 2016 J5. I told her I can try to recover them. First thing I did was trying to root the phone, which resulted in a error message. On the next bootup a message appeared, saying that there is a security issue and in order to continue, the userdata has to be formated. Obviously I didnt click ok, instead I removed the battery, and eventually desoldered the eMMC chip in order to backup the data there. I got all the partitions backed up, including the userdata.img. Nevertheless the userdata image is the only one I am not able to extract nor mount. So I suppose it is encrypted.

Myy friend used a key pattern lock, I do know the combination. Is there a way to decrypt the userdata using adb maybe?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Yeh, it's AES256 encrypted and the key was in the phone.
    FYI:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard
    At present, there is no known practical attack that would allow someone without knowledge of the key to read data encrypted by AES when correctly implemented.

You might be SOL I think, not unless you got a supercomputer and something like 100,000 years to spare, to brute-force attack it.

svim and ocnbrze like this.
  3. BuggyDroid

BuggyDroid Lurker

Samsung Galaxy J5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J5 release date was June 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 1.5GB RAM, Snapdragon 410 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

June 2015
Release Date
Reviews