1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

J7 trouble

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

My friend who has a Samsung J7 has been having problems. He says he didn't used to have My Files but then it appeared and has seemingly been trying to delete his photos. I guess he managed to delete it instead but now it's back and doing the same thing.

Alexandria87 likes this.
  2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

That's simply a file manager. Unless it's a nasty, rogue app masquerading as a file manager! :eek:

First, I've never seen an Android phone that didn't include at least a rudimentary FM by default. For example, on my Moto Z² Force, its "Files" app is its default--and truly awful--FM. It's so bad, I don't even show it in my app drawer. :eek:

If your friend managed to delete the device's default FM [extremely unlikely], it would probably find a way to reappear. But it wouldn't randomly delete files.

FM's just sit there minding their own business until called upon to do some task. So we're going to need much more information in order to sort out what's actually happening.

Can you post screenshots? Ask him for shots of this rogue FM, both in his app drawer and when opened; also its System Settings listing. Ask him for a detailed explanation of what's happening, including the location(s) of the 'deleted' files prior to 'deletion.'

3. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Nothing to worry about "My Files", its just a Samsung system privileged- app FM. If you notice in the screen shots below, "sec" which is an acronym for "Samsung Electric Corporation".

Screenshot_2020-06-01-13-10-13.png

Screenshot_2020-06-01-13-09-55.png

Rgarner and ocnbrze like this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

first off i would let your friend know about google photos. this way you have the photos automatically backed up. and when you get a new phone, just sign into google and you will have all your photos.

second not sure how you would know that My Files is the one deleting photos? like everyone said my files is just a file explorer that comes with the phone.

thirdly My Files is a system app. there is no way in deleting it.....so i'm not sure how your friend accomplished that unless the phone is rooted.

MrJavi and Rgarner like this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I think it might be rooted but I'm not sure. When I see him again I will ask and maybe we'll get some screenshots. That's probably a good idea about the photos app. By the way, what's the biggest sd card the J7 could handle?

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

depends on the model....after googling it i see 128gb to 256gb

MrJavi and Rgarner like this.