1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Jaded spouse can make changes to your account

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by flakeride, Feb 22, 2011.

1. flakeride

flakeride Lurker

My boss is currently going through a divorce and his soon to be ex-wife is thinking of ways to get back at him. Her antics have gone from laughable to just plain scary but the latest event involves making changes to our company sprint account. She was not on the account and she did not know the company pin but she was still able to change a service (turn off incoming text messages) without authentication. It turns out anyone can make changes to your account as long as they are not financially impacting. This even includes reporting the phone as lost or stolen.

Advertisement

2. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert

Sounds like an issue for the Sprint account rep. It's quite easy to have accounts controlled by authorized company representatives only and requiring PIN access for any changes. Just have to ask.

Tough situation though. Hope it gets resolved without further complication.

3. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert

yea, must have been an error by that particular rep. Dont think its the way Sprint typically does things. My bro tried to add something to our family plan and they wouldnt let him because he didnt know the account password. so, sounds like a one time screw up. or, you're not getting the full story.

4. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert

Any time I have had to make changes to my account or even ask a question they have always asked for my pin number and/or security question whether by phone or instore. My guess is that she had that information and was able to make those changes because almost ex-hubby didn't change it. Also she may be part owner of the business and as junior-high and petty she is being still would have a right to make changes to the account. Just mho based on my experiences.

5. tqlla

tqlla Well-Known Member

I wouldnt blame the rep that fast. She probably has all of her husbands information. So she can probably access a lot of his accounts.

yellagirl730 likes this.
  6. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert

agreed, hence the "or, you're not getting the full story."

7. rambo47

rambo47 Well-Known Member

I can't even make changes like that without giving my PIN. There's more going on in that story than we've been told.

8. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert

For those claiming that it can't be done, that's not so. You can call or do an online request for a password reset. As long as you have the phone or email that the reset is going to, you're in.

That said, it's probably just wise to make changes and assume that more funny biz is how this is going to play out.

9. JMac202

JMac202 Android Enthusiast

My sister is on my account and she dropped her phone in water. She got a new one from a friend. Well instead of telling me so I could activate it she went to a Sprint Store. Not a corporate one but a Wireless Lifestyle one. They some how without my PIN activated the new phone onto my account. I know they didn't get it from her because she doesnt know it. Never has known it.

I was pretty upset at first and planned on going to the store and voicing my displeasure and demanding something be done to fix the situation and make me happy. Well I never got around to it.

She said she just told them that I was her sister and she needed the phone activated asap and I couldnt meet her there. They didnt even try to call me to verify if it was ok. That and it also helped she went to High School with the guy. So much for reps not being able to access the account without your PIN because obviously the can.

10. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert

They can access but shouldn't.

11. rambo47

rambo47 Well-Known Member

Oh, it definitely can happen. And does happen. They're breaking their own rules and procedures when they do it, but it happens. AT&T does this kind of thing too.

I wanted to upgrade my wife's iPhone from the original model to the 3GS when it first came out. I went to an AT&T corporate store and they informed me only a person on the account could do it. I stood in the store, with her iPhone, and called CS. I told them I needed to be added to the account (which was always just in her name) and they said, "OK". Took my info, added me to the account, and 5 minutes later I had a new iPhone 3GS on the wife's account. Scary.

12. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert

Maybe some stores or reps are more lax but my daughter's boyfriend attempted to have a different phone activated on her account (he already had a line, just wanted to activate a different phone) and they wouldn't do it until she came to the store.

13. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert

On second thought this coud be because he was going from a dumbphone to a smart phone which would increase her bill. Oh well, at any rate I would like to think it would be relatively easy to get the unauthorized changes reversed although it would be inconvenient. If the boss hasn't done that then there may indeed be more to the story.

14. flakeride

flakeride Lurker

To avoid any further incidents we changed our pin, security question and had this particular person

15. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert