• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Japanese Jellyfish RSL9

D

Deleted User

Hi everyone
I've just installed Japanese Jellyfish RSL9 on my new Orange San Francisco and all appears to be well. However whereas before I could read the SIM card from my PC, since upgrading I can't. I've tried all the latest drivers to no avail. The PC can see the phone but keeps asking to install the SD card, which is in situ and mounted. Any suggestions why?

Thanks for that. Found them, downloaded but PC says drivers I have are the latest.

When I go into ClockworkMod Recovery, Mounts and Storage, Mount USB Storage, I can mount the SD card and read it on my PC but cannot save this setting. When I come out of ClockworkMod the SD card disappears from the PC but I can still see the drive on the PC.

Upvote 0
Ah - that's a different matter.

When you "mount" your SD card, you are showing it as available to the PC, so the PC assigns it a letter.

When you unmount, or close the clockworkmod (or come out of it - is the same as unmounting) the PC cannot now see the old mounted device.

So if you plug your phone in and the SD card is not mounted, then even though the letter is there on the PC - it shows no card - hence the "please insert the sd card" message.

I know in my custom rom on the OSF I can mount & unmount from within the main menu, I do not know if jellyfish offers this - but it prob will, but in either case - the sd card HAS to be mounted for file transfer to & from the PC to the SD card to take place.

Upvote 0
Sorry - I'm still lost on what you wish to achieve, maybe it's my old brain not picking up on what it is you wish to accomplish here :)

So - can you mount the sd card and read & write files to the card from the PC ok?

Or does it never mount the card at all?

If you are on your jellyfish menu home page, and you plug the usb cable in tot he phone & the pc - do you get the option to mount the sd card?

Upvote 0
Thanks for persevering. No, I cannot see the SD card in windows so I cannot download my photos etc. The card is mounted in the phone's settings and the pc will recognise the phone is connected via usb but keeps indicating there is no SD card even though there is. Before the upgrade I could read it ok and transfer files normally.

Upvote 0
Thanks for persevering. No, I cannot see the SD card in windows so I cannot download my photos etc. The card is mounted in the phone's settings and the pc will recognise the phone is connected via usb but keeps indicating there is no SD card even though there is. Before the upgrade I could read it ok and transfer files normally.

OK, I think I am picking you up now.

1. When you mount in clockworkmod - it only lasts for as long as that session you are in clockworkmod mode, so the second you leave clockworkmod the sd card will unmount and will disappear from windows.

2. When you are on the jellyfish screen home page, then plug your usb cable into your PC & the phone - as El P says above - you should get a drop down screen to ask whether to mount the sd card via usb.

I'm not sure - but maybe usb debugging has to be enabled in the options for the drop down screen to appear?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help guys but when I connect the phone to the PC via usb, the top bar indicates "usb connected", that disappears then the bar says "usb debugging connected" that disappears and the top bar then shows the usual icons. There is not a drop down screen. I'm getting to the stage where I'm considering installing a new ROM. This is almost driving me crazy.

Upvote 0
A lot of detail there. Had a quick look but nothing jumped out that seemed to help. It seems odd that no one else has reported this problem so will try a reflash. Failing that I'll give Swedish Spring a go. Not sure what the difference is but may be worth a look. I'll keep you informed as a matter of interest.

Upvote 0
Cracked it. Downloaded another copy of JJ, installed it but same scenario. Installed SS5 but managed (with some difficulty) to open drop down menu on the home page and install the usb storage. I'm wondering now whether it was there on JJ but for some reason couldn't open drop down menu. My fingers are not the best for these phones. Thanks all for your efforts.
PS First reaction to SS5 is that it seems better than JJ so some good has possibly come out of this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones