1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Japanese keyboard broken symbols

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Realloveless, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Realloveless

Realloveless Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    Hi, first time poster, I noticed that with one of the recent android updates the hirigana symbols in the built in QWERTY keyboard are coming up broken. For instance the symbol for sa さ has a section cut out right in the middle. The downstroke going into the curve should be one continuous line. Any ideas why and possible fixes?

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Are you using the stock Samsung keyboard? It could be broken for Japanese input. Korean input, it's probably perfectly OK.

Try another keyboard, Google Keyboard should be OK for Japanese, SwiftKey is worth a try as well.

Also another possibility, are you using the stock Samsung Android font that comes with the phone, or a third-party user installed one? Because a few of those can be somewhat broken or incomplete for showing CJK(Chinese, Japanese, Korean) characters.

#2 mikedt, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  3. Realloveless

Realloveless Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    Other keyboards work fine but the problem is I like to use an app called Memrise for learning languages and apparently this underlying problem with the built in language is messing with the symbols displayed in the app as well. And since I was using the app to learn new symbols, Im now stuck because I dont want to potentially learn new kana symbols incorrectly because they are displayed wrong. I tried going through support for the app first but apparently Im the only one with this problem and since its not just the app where the symbols are broken, Im inclined to believe them when they say the problem lies with the pre-downloaded keyboard

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus was released in 2015 as a "plus-sized" version of the Galaxy S6. The device features a 5.5-inch display with a 2560 x 1440 resolution, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 16MP rear camera.