• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Japanese keyboard broken symbols

Realloveless

Lurker
Aug 5, 2016
Hi, first time poster, I noticed that with one of the recent android updates the hirigana symbols in the built in QWERTY keyboard are coming up broken. For instance the symbol for sa さ has a section cut out right in the middle. The downstroke going into the curve should be one continuous line. Any ideas why and possible fixes?

Hi, first time poster, I noticed that with one of the recent android updates the hirigana symbols in the built in QWERTY keyboard are coming up broken. For instance the symbol for sa さ has a section cut out right in the middle. The downstroke going into the curve should be one continuous line. Any ideas why and possible fixes?
Are you using the stock Samsung keyboard? It could be broken for Japanese input. Korean input, it's probably perfectly OK.

Try another keyboard, Google Keyboard should be OK for Japanese, SwiftKey is worth a try as well.

Also another possibility, are you using the stock Samsung Android font that comes with the phone, or a third-party user installed one? Because a few of those can be somewhat broken or incomplete for showing CJK(Chinese, Japanese, Korean) characters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Other keyboards work fine but the problem is I like to use an app called Memrise for learning languages and apparently this underlying problem with the built in language is messing with the symbols displayed in the app as well. And since I was using the app to learn new symbols, Im now stuck because I dont want to potentially learn new kana symbols incorrectly because they are displayed wrong. I tried going through support for the app first but apparently Im the only one with this problem and since its not just the app where the symbols are broken, Im inclined to believe them when they say the problem lies with the pre-downloaded keyboard

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones