1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Java-beginner needs some help working out project details

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Tr33, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Tr33

Tr33 Lurker

Hi guys,

Disclaimer
    This is an advice thread. I don't want code it's just about if I'm on the right way or not. I have about 5 years of experience with C# and Unity so the concept of programming is not entirely new to me, however java is.
    I am planing to make a dashcam app and did some research about a specific feature. For all others I have a plan to go with.
    Description
    In case of you having an accident you want to see what happend before and you might not have had your dashcam running. So I want to be able to record a timeframe of 15s and save it as some kind of a stack. So I can just dump more data on top of it and delete the oldest data.
    I was looking into the documentation of Android Studio and found something I think could work:
    setPreviewCallbackWithBuffer(Camera.PreviewCallback cb)
    So as I understood this, I can get a preview image every 1/framerate seconds and send the byte[] to an array which works as the stack I talked about earlier? Combining the images into a video shouldn't be that big of a deal.
    Question
    To break things down a bit:
    I've never worked with video files in the past. So is this something that is at least possible and in the best case can be done the way I described?

Thanks in advance