• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JB ROM or ICS ROM?

parag1dubey

Android Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2012
India
Hey guys,
I didnt find an answer to this anywhere. I am currently running Supernexus JB Rom on my S2. This was the first rom I flashed after rooting and since then I have always flashed JB roms (but I came back to Supernexus JB in the end). My question is, is there any advantage to running an ICS rom instead of JB? I mean in terms of speed, performance and battery life? As i understand it (I am a noob), JB is still in beta.. So I am hoping that you guys will help me get the most out of my device. If ICS is the way to go at present then please mention a few good ICS roms for me.. Thank you (and hope this isnt a stupid question)... :D

Main advantage is that you can have Sammy ROMs on ICS. Its all down to taste. Personally AOKP/CM ROMs are great with all their bells+whistles, but I can't live with them as daily runners. That's where Samsung ROMS come in. The core apps (camera, messaging, email, dialer, contacts etc) are far better in my opinion, and this is the main reason I won't go away from Sammy based ROMS (Neat in particular)

Reactions: parag1dubey
Upvote 0
I appreciate the quick reply, Hawker. Could you explain in what way Sam Roms are better as far as emails are concerned? I also find that my mobile data goes off when I am roaming (which is every day coz i commute 3 hours to work). Could this be a ROm related issue? I have flashed KH3 and LPX modems and the issue persists on both.

Upvote 0
No, not different countries. I am from India and i go to a different city which is about 200kms away from home. Sometimes the data comes on (at work) by itself but most times data remains disabled, despite reboots and different modems. I am frustrated by this as mobile data works perfectly at my hometown. Could this be a carrier related problem? I have a data pack active and ideally it should work. I wasnt aware that modems were rom specific... Could this mean that i migh get better connectivity if i go with an ICS rom? And what is the difference between NEatrom full and Lite? Is it a good rom?

Upvote 0
Ok guys, I installed Neat Rom Lite as dualboot, but i couldnt get any options to boot into second rom at startup. So I made a backup of my current rom and installed Neatrom as the sole Rom. Is pretty much the same as the stock rom my phone came with. Cant see any difference. But hopefully there will be some difference. By the way, there are various Mods in the Neatrom thread. How to install them and whats their use?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be using it if it wasn't a good ROM.
Full is the full ROM, Lite has about 100Mb of apps removed.

I would recommend flashing Neat and firstly stick to the default modem (NELP4)
If this still gives you no joy, then try another 4.0.4 modem.
See this thread

Im using vodafone, what modem should i use, i see the NELP4 is for three?

Android 4.0.4
BOLP7 (T-Mobile-Germany)
BVLPE (Orange-UK)
DDLPB
NELP4 (Three-UK)
UHLPH
XXLQ5
XXLQ6
ZSLPN
ZSLPQ

Android 4.0.3
BOLP5
BOLP7 (T-Mobile-Netherlands)
BULP6 (Vodafone)
BULP7 (Vodafone)
DVLP3 (Telstra-Australia)
BVLP7 (Orange-UK)
T_DCLP4 (Thailand)
DDLPA
T_DOLP4 (Telecom-New Zealand)
DULP4
DXLP7
DXLP9
DXLPA
JHLP9 (Orange-Israel)
T_JJLP8 (Pelephone-Israel)
T_HZLP2 (Mirs-Israel)
MUGLD3
NELP2 (3-UK)
NELP3 (3-UK)
NELP4 (3-UK)
UHLPG
XXLPW
XXLBR (O2-UK)
XXLPS
XXLPX

Upvote 0
Extract from the, "Modems - Dummies Guide"...

Modems are not firmware specific. You can install any modem for the Galaxy S2 to any firmware, (*** T variants have their own modem version for network compatability), unlike kernels and ROMs. The only thing that I have found is that some, "area", modems do not work well for me in Europe, i.e. DX = Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam or ZS = China, Hong Kong or JP = Arabic, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria. For details of country designations, see here.

There is no such thing as, "the best modem". It depends entirely on your location, operator and signal strength. The latest modem may not be the best for you, as I have found out. These are the one's that generally work... KE7, KH3, KI3, KI4, KL1, LPS, LPX, NEKF2, NELP2, NELP3 & BVLP7.

Upvote 0
I'm with Vodafone blobq, while the best modem for you is a personal choice and what works best for your phone might not work as well for mine, I find LPVE, works best for me.

Cheers dynomot! :thumbup:

You've just proved my earlier point as I too am on Vodafone UK and thus far, overall, the BVLP7 modem from the Orange, "P", variant SGSII is best for me.

Upvote 0
Ironass,
Does this mean that it matters not whether i am running jelly bean or Ics? If so, what could be the reason for my losing mobile data connectivity when roaming (I assure you there is no problem with my carrier, because i used the same sim card in another phone while roaming and data worked perfectly). And please suggest a good modem for India (if you are aware of a few). Currently running LPX modem (came with Resurrection Remix 3.1.2). Have also tried KH3 with the same result.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Ironass,
Does this mean that it matters not whether i am running jelly bean or Ics?

From post #1, Modems - Dummies Guide...

Modems are not firmware specific. You can install any modem for the Galaxy S2 to any firmware, (*** T variants have their own modem version for network compatability), unlike kernels and ROMs. The only thing that I have found is that some, "area", modems do not work well for me in Europe, i.e. DX = Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam or ZS = China, Hong Kong or JP = Arabic, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria. For details of country designations, see here.

There is no such thing as, "the best modem". It depends entirely on your location, operator and signal strength. The latest modem may not be the best for you, as I have found out. These are the one's that generally work... KE7, KH3, KI3, KI4, KL1, LPS, LPX, NEKF2, NELP2, NELP3 & BVLP7.

If so, what could be the reason for my losing mobile data connectivity when roaming (I assure you there is no problem with my carrier, because i used the same sim card in another phone while roaming and data worked perfectly).

I, too, have found that in a certain, "dead zone", that I visit, a great number of modems cannot get a signal. It has only by trial and error that I have found a few that can.

And please suggest a good modem for India (if you are aware of a few). Currently running LPX modem (came with Resurrection Remix 3.1.2). Have also tried KH3 with the same result.

You could start by installing whichever modem your particular service provider uses in their latest SGSII firmware and see if that helps.***

***EDIT

Start by trying the DDLPA and DDLP8 modems from here, as they are India specific.

Upvote 0
Ok guys,
I flashed Neatrom lite for a few hours and then returned to my Jelly bean rom :D Was missing it. But surprisingly, I found that in the Neat Rom scrolling, both in the app drawer and homescreens was noticeably smoother. I am stumped.. How can this be, when google claims to have implemented Project Butter in Jelly bean. One more thing. I dont receive timely twitter notifications in jelly bean. Somehow the app turns notifications off automatically. Could this be a rom specific issue? Thanks for helping.All those on Neat Rom here, please guide me. In other words, should i be on Neatrom??? :)

Upvote 0
No I don't use Twitter. I happen to have a life and friends I have actually met! :D

Neat is certainly one of the best ROMs you can put on a GS2.
All the JB ROMs are CM/AOKP based. Neat is Sammy based and comes directly off Samsung sources. AOKP is very good and highly configurable, but for me, they just dont cut the cheese as daily runners.

Sale, the dev of Neat spends practically all his spare time working on his ROMs and all are finely tuned with optimisations, build.prop tweaks etc. so you really won't get much better than this.

A Sammy phone should have a Sammy ROM in my opinion, and there is none better than Neat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones