• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JB Update Issues & Factory Resets - Please Read

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
With the issues many have been experiencing as a result of the recent JellyBean update, I thought this would explain why a factory reset was important and should solve most issues. I take no credit for this whatsoever, this is basically copied word for word from a post by EarlyMon but I thought it was relevant here:

Would anyone agree that a factory reset can fix OTA bugs?

It can. Many times inconsistencies or problems after an OTA update are from apps and settings from previous versions. It should be mentioned, though, that nothing is guaranteed.

I think a Factory Data Reset may be overkill for correcting OTA issues.

What I have found that is frequently overlooked is doing a "soft reset" (Bionic hold down Volume Up/Volume Down/Power until a menu appears and disappears or pull the battery and power on) after installing the OTA.

It has been shown to solve many problems.

Experience across the forums says that it's often not overkill at all. In fact, many of us advise users to prepare for it on any known upcoming updates.

Rooters learned long ago that a lot of trouble goes away by wiping the phone's cache and Dalvik cache. It's so well established that the more mature rooting communities just do on any flash install.

The more advanced devs now bake those steps into installer scripts for roms and rom updates, so they don't have to hear chatter and complaints from people who skipped the steps, and also because it's simply required.

When your browser gets wonky, you clear cache. Ditto for Android. Tangled cache elements cause no end of trouble, they can't help not doing so.

And OTAs delivering a payload incompatible with the existing caches, more common than not, can ONLY be fixed by clearing them.

Perhaps some day, OTA installer scripts will clear those areas the way better rom devs do, automatically.

But until then, the only way for a non-rooted user to do it is via a factory data reset.

It clears those caches but also clears out all data, and that includes user apps.

So the problem isn't that the factory data reset is overkill, it's that people without a viable backup strategy are using their phones wrong, something else that experienced rooters know.

And the members that whine and insist that they don't need a viable backup strategy are the ones that whine, moan, and squeal like stuck pigs that it's Android's fault that updating their new phone, after they dunked one in the tub, lost it, or got excited and rushed to buy the latest and greatest, or had to start uninstalling crap apps, that setting things up again is just so hard.

No. It's their own fault if someone tells them about MyBackup Pro and SMS Backup and they stick their heads in the sand thinking that phone trouble won't strike them.

Before accepting an OTA update, backup. If it happened automatically, rely on your weekly or recent backup.

Then, don't even wait for trouble, just factory data reset and restore data and apps - because that's how proper updates are done.

Facts, not opinions.

As for the battery pull or it's equivalent, yes, great problem solver. Semiconductors can be susceptible to a semiconductor condition called latch-up. When it happens to display control signal circuitry, it manifests as a stuck pixel. When it happens in ram, pull the battery. When it happens on the rom, factory data reset and restore, and if it happens to the rom holding system components, factory data reset, install the RUU (the usual steps your carrier service will do for pernicious trouble), and restore. (And when it happens to your sd card, reformat it.)

But don't expect an OTA to cause semiconductor latch-up. It may, it might, so yes, pull the battery to clear ram. But definitely expect an OTA to leave the caches scrambled because they are famous for it.

Knowing what actually causes trouble or what is likely to be wrong lets you know the corrective action to take.

And now you know what causes trouble.

The factory data reset is the Android users best friend.

Be a pal to the members and let them know about it.

Backup, reset, restore. 1, 2, 3. Why? Because just like a browser, Android runs on caches, and just like on a browser, sometimes you have to clear cache. Definitely on an OTA, don't wait and play Russian Roulette hoping that trouble didn't find you.

Hope this clarifies. ;)

Edit and PS - for phones with Google Wallet, go into the app and reset the Wallet there BEFORE a factory data reset. Failure to do so will result in a bricked Wallet.

With the issues many have been experiencing as a result of the recent JellyBean update, I thought this would explain why a factory reset was important and should solve most issues. I take no credit for this whatsoever, this is basically copied word for word from a post by EarlyMon but I thought it was relevant here:

Experience across the forums says that it's often not overkill at all. In fact, many of us advise users to prepare for it on any known upcoming updates.

Rooters learned long ago that a lot of trouble goes away by wiping the phone's cache and Dalvik cache. It's so well established that the more mature rooting communities just do on any flash install.

The more advanced devs now bake those steps into installer scripts for roms and rom updates, so they don't have to hear chatter and complaints from people who skipped the steps, and also because it's simply required.

When your browser gets wonky, you clear cache. Ditto for Android. Tangled cache elements cause no end of trouble, they can't help not doing so.

And OTAs delivering a payload incompatible with the existing caches, more common than not, can ONLY be fixed by clearing them.

Perhaps some day, OTA installer scripts will clear those areas the way better rom devs do, automatically.

But until then, the only way for a non-rooted user to do it is via a factory data reset.

It clears those caches but also clears out all data, and that includes user apps.

So the problem isn't that the factory data reset is overkill, it's that people without a viable backup strategy are using their phones wrong, something else that experienced rooters know.

And the members that whine and insist that they don't need a viable backup strategy are the ones that whine, moan, and squeal like stuck pigs that it's Android's fault that updating their new phone, after they dunked one in the tub, lost it, or got excited and rushed to buy the latest and greatest, or had to start uninstalling crap apps, that setting things up again is just so hard.

No. It's their own fault if someone tells them about MyBackup Pro and SMS Backup and they stick their heads in the sand thinking that phone trouble won't strike them.

Before accepting an OTA update, backup. If it happened automatically, rely on your weekly or recent backup.

Then, don't even wait for trouble, just factory data reset and restore data and apps - because that's how proper updates are done.

Facts, not opinions.

As for the battery pull or it's equivalent, yes, great problem solver. Semiconductors can be susceptible to a semiconductor condition called latch-up. When it happens to display control signal circuitry, it manifests as a stuck pixel. When it happens in ram, pull the battery. When it happens on the rom, factory data reset and restore, and if it happens to the rom holding system components, factory data reset, install the RUU (the usual steps your carrier service will do for pernicious trouble), and restore. (And when it happens to your sd card, reformat it.)

But don't expect an OTA to cause semiconductor latch-up. It may, it might, so yes, pull the battery to clear ram. But definitely expect an OTA to leave the caches scrambled because they are famous for it.

Knowing what actually causes trouble or what is likely to be wrong lets you know the corrective action to take.

And now you know what causes trouble.

The factory data reset is the Android users best friend.

Be a pal to the members and let them know about it.

Backup, reset, restore. 1, 2, 3. Why? Because just like a browser, Android runs on caches, and just like on a browser, sometimes you have to clear cache. Definitely on an OTA, don't wait and play Russian Roulette hoping that trouble didn't find you.

Hope this clarifies. ;)

Edit and PS - for phones with Google Wallet, go into the app and reset the Wallet there BEFORE a factory data reset. Failure to do so will result in a bricked Wallet.
Hi many thanks El Presidente, You completely sorted my wifi probs out with your advice re factory reset and fixed IP address.

I think most of us non-tech types are not keen on the factory reset because of the amount of data lost if not rooted. My Back up pro worked well except I store all my passwords and login details (rightly or wrongly!) on a password store app. I also have many pages of notes on a notepad app and it is a real pain to write them all out long hand and then reinput after a backup. Inevitably when things go wrong I have found I have had to try several things to scorrect matters often involving more than one reset and by the time you have inputted all the data a few times it becomes very frustrating.

Along these lines I also had a problem with my backup pro (which I know others have also had) when using it to move from a Desire to a One X+ in that the Apps ended up being stored in the "wrong place" so that my one x + kept telling me it was out of storage space when I only had a "Desire-full" of storage on the One X+. Factory reset sorted it but once again all my data needed reinputting.

An app that backs up all your data would be excellent!

Upvote 0
Backuping up the data isn't an issue as far as I'm aware, it's actually reapplying it after you've reset. Because of where the data is stored and the type of data it is, root is needed to reapply. To be honest, that's one of the areas iOS has Android beaten, iTunes can take a full backup (data included) and sync it to your new phone/after a reset.

What password app btw? I use mSecure and it will sync the password file to dropbox. Yours might have a similar function.

Upvote 0
The carbon backup app just went live in the playstore today. Apparently it can backup and restore app data without root (at last!)

Early days yet - and I'm sure there will be a few bugs / kinks to be ironed out so I'm not going to test it yet, but if it works it should make the whole factory reset business much less painful.

Upvote 0
Backuping up the data isn't an issue as far as I'm aware, it's actually reapplying it after you've reset. Because of where the data is stored and the type of data it is, root is needed to reapply. To be honest, that's one of the areas iOS has Android beaten, iTunes can take a full backup (data included) and sync it to your new phone/after a reset.

What password app btw? I use mSecure and it will sync the password file to dropbox. Yours might have a similar function.
I think its called Password Store (its yellow) dont have my phone hear at the moment though. I think it will back up to the phone rather than drop box which is Ok unless you lose the phone!! I will check out your one and also have a look at Carbon Backup as suggested by Coos Lick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones