• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update on a Canadian GT-P6210

funpig

Android Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2010
I have owned my Canadian version of the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus (wifi only) for about two years. In Canada, we are still on Honeycomb. I had called Samsung Canada about three times in the last year regarding the official update. They told me that there was no new information and all I could do was just wait for a notification for any new update.

I finally just got tired of waiting. I did not want to root. I searched and found the following links:

Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 GT-P6210 Receives Official Android 4.1.2 XXMD3 Jelly Bean Update [How to Manually Install]

P6210XXMD3: Upgrade Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0 GT-P6210 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware Update

It has been a couple of days. No random reboots like under honeycomb. Battery usage is normal. A few apps were glitchy. I did not notice any improvement in smoothness or speed. I am pleased with new features eg voice typing.

I thought i would follow the suggestion to do a full factory reset to see if it would improve the performance. I thought i backed everthing on to my SD card and i pulled the card. This was what i did when i flashed 4.1.2 under odin and i did not lose anything. Big mistake. It turns out a few of my apps say they are backing up on to the sd card when they are in fact backing up into the internal memory. Lost a few months of data on certain apps. I was shocked when i used es explorer and found some folders missing from my "sdcard" which turned out to be the internal memory that got wiped. Luckily i had most of the data backed up on another sd card on a older phone running gingerbread. Next time i need to be careful that i am actually backing up to a different media.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear this finally worked for you, but as a US located user I'm done waiting.

My 2 year old Tab 7.0 Plus started giving me trouble about 2 weeks ago (it's been a nice device otherwise). Google Maps would repeatedly freeze and crash while doing a search. At first I thought it was the add-on on-screen keyboard, so I deleted that and went to the stock Samsung. That didn't solve the problem. Then my Adobe Over-Drive app, that allows reading of downloaded library books (a primary use of the device) would crash. Then it erased all the book I was reading, twice.

OK, so a re-install of the OS was needed and of course Samsung has not released Jelly Bean so ICE it was. I backed up to Kies (the worst friggin piece of crap software on the planet, ever), then tried a re-install of the backup. Nope. So I re-load every app from the Play store. Hours later and my Chrome browser could not sync. So no shared bookmarks available.

Then I get an e-mail that my local Micro-Center is selling the iPad Mini 1st gen., for $279, with some open box at $240. I go in, they have no open box units so give me a new Mini for the open box price.

I hookup to iTunes, it backs up my phone, loads all my phone apps to the Mini, updates to iOs 7, and I am good to go. 1/2 hour. The Mini kicks butt and I am NEVER buying another Samsung or Android product. They do not support their stuff.

Rant over.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear this finally worked for you, but as a US located user I'm done waiting.

My 2 year old Tab 7.0 Plus started giving me trouble about 2 weeks ago (it's been a nice device otherwise). Google Maps would repeatedly freeze and crash while doing a search. At first I thought it was the add-on on-screen keyboard, so I deleted that and went to the stock Samsung. That didn't solve the problem. Then my Adobe Over-Drive app, that allows reading of downloaded library books (a primary use of the device) would crash. Then it erased the book I was reading, twice.

OK, so a re-install of the OS was needed and of course Samsung has not released Jelly Bean so ICE it was. I backed up to Kies (the worst friggin piece of crap software on the planet, ever), then tried a re-install of the backup. Nope. So I re-load every app from the Play store. Hours later and my Chrome browser could not sync. So no shared bookmarks available.

Then I get an e-mail that my local Micro-Center is selling the iPad Mini 1st gen., for $279, with some open box at $240. I go in, they have no open box units so give me a new Mini for the open box price.

I hookup to iTunes, it backs up my phone, loads all my phone apps to the Mini, updates to iOs 7, and I am good to go. 1/2 hour. The Mini kicks butt and I am NEVER buying another Samsung or Android product. They do not support their stuff.

Rant over and out of here.

Upvote 0
Steve B

Glad the ipad is working out for you. We have a couple of apple devices at our home. It is nice to just turn it in and use it. No need to find a better browser, email client or calendar, although you may do so if you want.
You will also be pleased that when an update comes out, it will be immediately available. But regardless of which OS you use, i would suggest waiting a couple of weeks to see the comments of early upgraders. Any update has the potential for bugs.

You may still want to give the jelly bean update a try using either of the two links above. It has been one month and I have been pleased with the results. It has certainly extended the life of the Tab 7.0 plus for me.some recent updates by my apps seem to have cleared up the glitches.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones