• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean 4.2 Keyboard - Correction Suggestions

papabri

Feb 25, 2011
Hello,

I haven't had any luck googling for a solution to this so I thought I'd ask.

I put 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus yesterday and have been testing the stock keyboard a lot. As a long time swype user, I was very interested to see what google's rendition of that form of typing was like. So far it's not bad (not liking how not every key has a special character attached to it if you press and hold, such as no exclamation point if u press and hold Z) but I've noticed a more frustrating issue.

In some applications, when I type, a bar across the top of the keyboard is available, like swype, where if you put the cursor over a word you've typed, the bar will show you other words that you might have meant to type instead. In other applications, this bar is nowhere to be found. Here's a little list of the apps where I've noticed this problem:

Apps with NO correction suggestions bar
  • Google search
  • Stock calendar app (although this one's weird, if you're typing in the "Event name" field, there's no suggestion bar, but if you type in the "Location" field there IS a suggestion bar... wtf?
  • Stock e-mail app (the TO: line has no suggestion bar, Subject: line does, Body of email does)
  • Google Chrome address bar
  • IMDB search field
Apps WITH a correction suggestions bar
  • Viber
  • GO SMS Pro
  • Facebook (status update)
  • UberSocial
  • Yelp search field
I'm sure there are more but I think I've made my point, which is that I have no idea why in some apps the suggestion bar appears, while in others it doesn't.

In the android keyboard settings I have "Show correction suggestions" set to "Always show". I can find no other settings to control this feature. Any advice?

P.S. Swype had a quick and easy way to add custom words to the dictionary, does this keyboard?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones