• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean Camera & Gallery

got it to work but theyre are issues. photo syphere does not work. says my device with the specific name not supported. also you cant edit pictures in the stock gallery. both cause force close. what is your suggested fix for this. followed your instructions for install.

It appears to have come from a Nexus. It specifically expects to be on a Nexus. You can edit your build.prop to make it look like one if you're feeling daring, apparently that works. I wouldn't with no way to get out of a bootloop though.

Upvote 0
i found a thread on another forum with the photo filters lib but it still doesnt work. any idea?

I think I found the same package. I installed it on a TF101 instead of the Rise, I'm running ICS 4.0.4 on the 101 which is the same version on the Rise, but it's safer to test on the 101 first because if I totally hose it up I can nvflash the tablet back to life easily.

It looked pretty. The camera and camcorder worked fine, panoramic and that new 360 thing just made the gallery (camera) crash hard. I didn't try the build.prop tweaks, insstead I just gave up and removed the 4.2 gallery/camera and gave up for now.

My opinion, especially in the case of the Rise which is unrecoverable if bricked in the slightest, is to wait until some of these 4.2 apps are floating around out there and not programatically tied to a Nexus. The 4.2 keyboard apparently works fine but this camera sure doesn't offer anything functional over what ICS already has and hence isn't worth the potential trouble with our unrecoverable phones.

Upvote 0
im not familiar with titantium so what is the easiest way to remove the new camera and gallery and restore the stock apps

What I did was to back it up manually, especially since it involved changing system libraries. /system/app has the apks and /system/lib has the libraries. It kind of depends on which 4.2 zip you found, I saw one that only had GalleryGoogle.apk and the one I used had that plus another apk and 3 .so libraries one of which replaced an existing system library.

If you didn't change any libraries it's just a matter of using TB to remove the 4.2 apps and reinstall the stock ones. If it's more complicated post the file you used and I can tell you exactly what to do.

Upvote 0
well i used the link for the app posted here. the single all in one file. i used at least one lib from xda or android central to try and fix the edit mode but the lib file didnt fix it. i may have used another lib to try and fix the 360 camera but im not too sure. i didnt remove the ones for the stock camera. dont know if this helps. also thanks for being helpful.

Upvote 0
If you didn't actually replae any libraries, only added a couple new ones, then it won't hurt anything to ignore them and leave them sit. They'll just hang out in /system/lib unused.

In TB go to Backup/Restore, in the list you'll see an installed Gallery app, keep looking and make sure there's also a Gallery that is not installed. If there is only one Gallery in the list abort this for now and we'll do it a different way.

If you're good to continue, tap on the installed one and uninstall it. Now find the other one and install it, the version of the correct one should be 1.1.30682 if it's the same as on mine.

I don't think there was a camera.apk in any of the updates, so reboot and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
in back up and restore there is a gallery v 1.1.4001 which i believe is the current one installed. there is a camera.apk all the way at the bottom with a line through that has a backup for. i know i backed up the stock apps before uninstalling them so im not sure where the stock gallery wandered to.

Upvote 0
in back up and restore there is a gallery v 1.1.4001 which i believe is the current one installed. there is a camera.apk all the way at the bottom with a line through that has a backup for. i know i backed up the stock apps before uninstalling them so im not sure where the stock gallery wandered to.

That's exactly why I had been specific there, goofy things can happen and it'd suck if that caused you to lose the use of your phone or something. So we'll do this another way.

Unrelated: Why the hell is Camera.apk odexed but GalleryGoogle.apk is not? Weird.

This should work. I can't imagine why it wouldn't. You will need root (which you seem to have) and a terminal app like this one.

Download the attached file, unzip and put the CameraRestore folder on your sdcard, you can just plug the phone in to your computer and plop it in there. Unmount/unplug the phone from your computer. Then do this in terminal on your phone:

cd /sdcard/CameraRestore
sh runme.sh

Case is important, use capitals where it says. It'll likely ask for SuperUser permissions. Say "yes" if you want it to work. Don't panic when your phone reboots moments later, it's supposed to. When it comes back up test the camera and let me know how it went.

Feel free to look it over first before running it. I won't be offended, in fact I'd suggest you do just that with about any script on the internet. I put some basic comments in the script so you can see what each part is for.

Edit: This is for the Kyocera Rise 4.0.4 ICS firmware from 2012, installing on another device/version may or may not work

Attachments

• CameraRestore.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones