• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean for Att... when?

I still haven't even gotten the "other" AT&T update yet.......every time I check it says it can't communicate with the server and to check back again in 24 hours.

I haven't really cared because I don't need the "brightness slider" or whatever is the change....but methinks that something is wrong with my setup and/or AT&T's server. Doesn't seem like they're on speaking terms.

Hi. I had the same problem. My phone wouldn't update. I went to the store and have them change my SIM card. As soon as they did I got the update. :)

Upvote 0
nova launcher already has expand notifications though...not really a big deal

Huh? No it doesn't...expanded notifications are in the pull down...look like this...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353865912910.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353865912910.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
I watched a vid on youtube of an upgraded S3, was disappointed. I was hoping it would look more like the jellybean on my nexus 7 tablet, but it looked exactly like my s3 does now. Damn manufacturer skins. Wanted a nexus but the 4 had no lte, no removable battery, no sd slot. Love the s3, but took forever to get all the att bloat off of it.

Upvote 0
I watched a vid on youtube of an upgraded S3, was disappointed. I was hoping it would look more like the jellybean on my nexus 7 tablet, but it looked exactly like my s3 does now. Damn manufacturer skins. Wanted a nexus but the 4 had no lte, no removable battery, no sd slot. Love the s3, but took forever to get all the att bloat off of it.

Why not run something like CM10? Basic Android without the skins/bloat. Android 4.1.2, essentially as close as it gets to a nexus product....

Upvote 0

why would you even think they would go with a AOSP style theme?...if you want that then Motorola is your choice...Blur is as close to AOSP as you're going to get without a nexus device or installing an AOSP custom ROM

Upvote 0
Why not run something like CM10? Basic Android without the skins/bloat. Android 4.1.2, essentially as close as it gets to a nexus product....

I was forced to do this because I'm on AT&T and who knows when this is going to come out. I'm using CM10 nightly right now... I have to say I love the smooth screen to screen and how fast some of the apps open. There are a few things that I do miss about the Samsung skin.. Mainly the camera but I will see if the 4.2 apk fixes that.

But the problem is whether its the carrier or manufacturer these updates should be faster. Looking at other companies there is no reason that the Carrier should be allowed to dictate update schedules.

Upvote 0
Google publish's JB. Then Samsung gets it to do their thing. Then it goes to AT & T for them to mess with it. Its a wonder any phones get updates at all.

wait.. add in ..

att test and rejects .. sends back to samsung for changes/edits..
samsung and att discuss the issues...
samsung makes the necessary changes/edits...
samsung sends to att ....

rinse and repeat ..

Upvote 0
But the problem is whether its the carrier or manufacturer these updates should be faster. Looking at other companies there is no reason that the Carrier should be allowed to dictate update schedules.

they own the network...and provide the first (and second, and third) line of tech support for the devices...and subsidize the cost of the device so that people can afford them...and have to replace the devices if something is wrong...

they most certainly SHOULD have a say in what is being pushed out...

Upvote 0
why would you even think they would go with a AOSP style theme?...if you want that then Motorola is your choice...Blur is as close to AOSP as you're going to get without a nexus device or installing an AOSP custom ROM

I thought that because I just got this S3 Friday, I haven't owned a Samsung before, and I haven't owned an ice cream sandwich device. I'm triple ignorant.. ;)

I did want a motorola, but choices on att are limited, and when I read here about the ability to put a 4200 mah battery in an S3, I couldn't resist the black friday deals. Don't get me wrong, I love the S3. If a motorola nexus ever comes out, that would probably be the only thing to drag me away.

Upvote 0
unless you dont really want a nexus phone like in my case i do not. at this point with multiple windows and alot of the touchwiz features that are becoming available, i dont see the appeal in stock android like i used to

Understand your point...and agree that for the most part the OEM builds (Blur, TW, Sense) actually improve upon Android quite a bit

my point was more from a development standpoint...

Root and development forums would be ghost towns for any other devices if there was a Motorola Nexus on the market

Upvote 0
Understand your point...and agree that for the most part the OEM builds (Blur, TW, Sense) actually improve upon Android quite a bit

my point was more from a development standpoint...

Root and development forums would be ghost towns for any other devices if there was a Motorola Nexus on the market
i dont necessarily agree with that either. maybe some of the lesser established development communities but i can see the galaxy s developers growing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones