• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean: How can I remove Picasa web albums from Gallery

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
I have Google Photos turned off in my Account Sync. However, my first sync brought in all my Picasa Albums. This is not something I want. I would like to remove my Picasa Albums from my phone and never sync them again. Any idea how I can do this?

Thanks!

Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on a Galaxy Nexus HSPA

THIS WORKED!

This is how it worked in Jelly Bean (4.1.1):

First I went to Sync and made sure that "Google Photos" is off. There is no setting for Picasa, etc.

Then I followed your instructions as follows:
- Settings
- Apps
- All (Downloaded and Running were the only other choice)
- Gallery
- Clear Cache
- Clear Data

All of my camera pics and random pics from folders I created remained in Gallery(along the thumbnail images for my videos), but all the picasa albums were gone.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
THIS WORKED!

This is how it worked in Jelly Bean (4.1.1):

First I went to Sync and made sure that "Google Photos" is off. There is no setting for Picasa, etc.

Then I followed your instructions as follows:
- Settings
- Apps
- All (Downloaded and Running were the only other choice)
- Gallery
- Clear Cache
- Clear Data

All of my camera pics and random pics from folders I created remained in Gallery(along the thumbnail images for my videos), but all the picasa albums were gone.

Thanks!

This works on Nexus 7 as well! Many thanks

Upvote 0
thank you all this worked for me to remove the picasa from the gallery,
now i still have the Drop box images which i like to remove,

i want to keep my dropbox account linked with the phone but not the photos in the gallery,

in the menu of the gallery there is an option to choose to view only images on device but you have to check this every time, not good.

any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I have Google Photos turned off in my Account Sync. However, my first sync brought in all my Picasa Albums. This is not something I want. I would like to remove my Picasa Albums from my phone and never sync them again. Any idea how I can do this?

Thanks!

Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on a Galaxy Nexus HSPA

So far clearing all data from Gallery deleted the albums from the phone, UNTIL I sync again or google auto syncs. I did not see an option to uncheck items i did not want to sync. Then by mistake I ran into a sync problem with google , maybe boxes appear only when sync is turned on but somehow the check boxes were there. maybe now someone more knowledgeable than me can figure out how I got to that point :)

Upvote 0
So far clearing all data from Gallery deleted the albums from the phone, UNTIL I sync again or google auto syncs. I did not see an option to uncheck items i did not want to sync. Then by mistake I ran into a sync problem with google , maybe boxes appear only when sync is turned on but somehow the check boxes were there. maybe now someone more knowledgeable than me can figure out how I got to that point :)

Go to your accounts list in settings, tap on Google. You will see what Google accounts you have on the phone. Tap the account whose sync settings you want to modify. That's when the check boxes appear.

Upvote 0
I am having this issue as well.

I have Jellybean (4.1.2).
My entire Google account is sync disabled.
I have gone into the Settings>apps>Gallery and force-stopped and cleared the cache and the data.
I have gone into the Settings>Media Storage and force-stopped and cleared the cache and the data.
I have also gone into the explorer and deleted every Picasa folder I could find.
And I've gone in to Settings>Apps>Picasa Uploader and disabled it.

As soon as I open the Gallery only the camera photos appear...for about 3 seconds, then everything else shows right back up again! :mad::thinking::mad:.

Someone had suggested signing into picasa.com and deleting them from there, but that redirects to picasa.google.com and wants me to download a program.

Please help?

Upvote 0
I am having this issue as well.

I have Jellybean (4.1.2).
My entire Google account is sync disabled.
I have gone into the Settings>apps>Gallery and force-stopped and cleared the cache and the data.
I have gone into the Settings>Media Storage and force-stopped and cleared the cache and the data.
I have also gone into the explorer and deleted every Picasa folder I could find.
And I've gone in to Settings>Apps>Picasa Uploader and disabled it.

As soon as I open the Gallery only the camera photos appear...for about 3 seconds, then everything else shows right back up again! :mad::thinking::mad:.

Someone had suggested signing into picasa.com and deleting them from there, but that redirects to picasa.google.com and wants me to download a program.

Please help?

I've tried all this too, and I'm having the same exact issue. I've tried everything that I know, and can't figure how to delete the pictures / albums off of my phone. This is very frustrating, so aggrieving. Someone (PLEASE) figure this out!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones