• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean update - Dummies Guide

This one seems to be missing from the list. I received the OTA a week or two ago..

One thing I am looking to do is Root the phone, but GS2s seem to be more difficult to root than the Nexus devices on a Mac. Any up to date tips would be welcomed :)

See posts #2 and #70 for OXA update for Poland...

Updates to JB, Android 4.1.2, for the GT-i9100 for CSC codes...

OXA = POLAND

PTR = ISRAEL (Orange)

For a step-by-step beginners guide with videos on rooting your phone, see the...

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0
Hello.

I bought my phone unlocked from an Amazon UK vendor five months ago. I don't want to invalidate my warranty, and have been waiting patiently for the UK official unbranded JB update OTA. However, I've just realised that my phone's CSC code is not XEU as I expected, but OXX.

My phone:
PDA: I9100XWLPD
Phone: I9100XXLPW
CSC: I9100OXXLPJ
Build: 8/5/2012
Carrier: Vodafone

1. OXX appears to be for the Nordic region, not UK. According to #2.3 above, OXX is available. My phone says "No update available". Why not?

2. If I do manage to get the OXX update, does it matter that I am in the UK?

3. Does it matter if my CSC code is not for the UK - does it affect the warranty?

4. Any idea why a phone purchased in the UK from a UK supplier would have CSC code OXX?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums arnoldh! :)

Lets see if we can answer your questions...

Hello.

I bought my phone unlocked from an Amazon UK vendor five months ago. I don't want to invalidate my warranty, and have been waiting patiently for the UK official unbranded JB update OTA. However, I've just realised that my phone's CSC code is not XEU as I expected, but OXX.

My phone:
PDA: I9100XWLPD
Phone: I9100XXLPW
CSC: I9100OXXLPJ
Build: 8/5/2012
Carrier: Vodafone

1. OXX appears to be for the Nordic region, not UK. According to #2.3 above, OXX is available. My phone says "No update available". Why not?

See #1.5

2. If I do manage to get the OXX update, does it matter that I am in the UK?

No, as the OXX release contains the English language pack.

3. Does it matter if my CSC code is not for the UK - does it affect the warranty?

If that is the CSC code that your phone came with from Amazon, then no.

4. Any idea why a phone purchased in the UK from a UK supplier would have CSC code OXX?

See #1.5. Your phone could have originally been any one of 80 or so CSC codes and was flashed to OXX, which contains one of the larger language packs, to increase the sales area. This is something that you need to discuss with Amazon as this is not the first instance of this that I have seen.

Reactions: arnoldh
Upvote 0
Thanks ironass

So I should take the phone to a Samsung Service Point, and they should be able to flash it to OXX without affecting my warranty, even though the UK unbranded version is not yet available. Am I correct?

Also, I think you're implying that I'll never be able to upgrade myself OTA or via Kies (unless I root), and if I want to upgrade the version in the future, I'll have to take it to a Samsung Service Point again?

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass

So I should take the phone to a Samsung Service Point, and they should be able to flash it to OXX without affecting my warranty, even though the UK unbranded version is not yet available. Am I correct?

If a Samsung Service Point updates it then it should not affect your warranty.

Also, I think you're implying that I'll never be able to upgrade myself OTA or via Kies (unless I root), and if I want to upgrade the version in the future, I'll have to take it to a Samsung Service Point again?

Correct. You could ask at the Samsung Service Point, after explaining your problem, for them to flash or enable a CSC code that will update through Kies or OTA. Rooting will not allow you to do this.

Reactions: arnoldh
Upvote 0
See #1.5. Your phone could have originally been any one of 80 or so CSC codes and was flashed to OXX, which contains one of the larger language packs, to increase the sales area. This is something that you need to discuss with Amazon as this is not the first instance of this that I have seen.

Can I not update with Kies because:
1. The phone was flashed to a new CSC code, or
2. The phone has a multi CSC code and Kies does not like this, or
3. The CSC code does not agree with the firmware code

Kies says current firmware version:pDA:LPD /PHONE:LPW/CSC:LPJ(TWO)
and latest firmware version:pDA:LPD /PHONE:LPW/CSC:LPJ(TWO)

Where does Kies get CSC:LPJ from if the phone says the CSC is OXX?

Do you know if there's anywhere that explains in more detail how Kies does its checks and decides whether it will update or not? I don't really understand all this well enough at the moment to discuss my problem with Amazon.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Can I not update with Kies because:
1. The phone was flashed to a new CSC code, or
2. The phone has a multi CSC code and Kies does not like this, or
3. The CSC code does not agree with the firmware code

Kies says current firmware version:pDA:LPD /PHONE:LPW/CSC:LPJ(TWO)
and latest firmware version:pDA:LPD /PHONE:LPW/CSC:LPJ(TWO)

Where does Kies get CSC:LPJ from if the phone says the CSC is OXX?

As far as I can ascertain, Kies is reading your product code as the international, non area specific, generic, LPJ. This would, it would seem, be the original CSC code that Kies is expecting.

My advice is to let a Samsung Service Point sort this out for you in order to not void your warranty.

Upvote 0
Dear all...my nickname telling you that i'm newbie in Android OS,my first phone is SGS 2 which i own for last 4 month.From the first time i switch on was buggy,mean,overheating,stupid number 1 in notification won't go off,screen flashing,battery issue...Phone was factory set on ICS but few days ago after updating on JB 4.1.2 everything changed.Look's like i'm finally in love with him because after updating everything set on place as should be.I want to thanks to everyone ho write so useful threads about how to set up my model of phone especially in which way to update phone.

ironass:thumbup::thumbup::

Upvote 0
Dear all...my nickname telling you that i'm newbie in Android OS,my first phone is SGS 2 which i own for last 4 month.From the first time i switch on was buggy,mean,overheating,stupid number 1 in notification won't go off,screen flashing,battery issue...Phone was factory set on ICS but few days ago after updating on JB 4.1.2 everything changed.Look's like i'm finally in love with him because after updating everything set on place as should be.I want to thanks to everyone ho write so useful threads about how to set up my model of phone especially in which way to update phone.

ironass:thumbup::thumbup::

Hello and welcome to Android Forums androidapprent! :)

Good to hear that updating to Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2, solved your problems.

There are lots of useful threads on both the General Forum and All Things Root.

Grab a coffee and start reading.

Cheers!
ironass

Upvote 0
ironass, do you have any information about the Jelly Bean Update for OLB/XTC(Philippines)?

There's always one isn't there Space Badger! ;)

See #3.6.

Apart from the fact that there are no releases to-date for the Philippines, as per post #2, I can't even take a guess based on ICS releases because there is no pattern.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that 'something' is happening with 3UK for updates... never had this message before when searching for said updates!
F0Gjw7yc

Hopefully that'll mean an update next couple of day(s)/ week(s)?!?!?!

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that that's OTA... have you tried using Kies? You could, of course, just download the H3G firmware and flash it via Odin.

I hope so (RE: Kies), will plug it in when I get home later. Whilst my phone is still under warrentee, I wont flash it. Never goes right for me (even when I follow it by the letter of the law).

I shall update hereafter if Kies updates (for 3 UK).

Upvote 0
I hope so (RE: Kies), will plug it in when I get home later. Whilst my phone is still under warrentee, I wont flash it. Never goes right for me (even when I follow it by the letter of the law).

I shall update hereafter if Kies updates (for 3 UK).

I'm Three UK and also get the 'try later/access request' message. I've just tried it via Kies and no luck - it still says 'Your device's current firmware version is not supported to udpate via Kies'

bah

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones