• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean, where's the BUTTER?

johnlway23

Lurker
Jan 11, 2011
Is it just me, or was Jelly Bean a big Placebo? No mater the Android upgrade, they will still have lag, crashes and bugs. Android needs to save the hype! All the upgrades to Jelly Bean were already in the App Market, developed months before Jelly Bean. True you get them all in 1 package now, but put your tablet or phone next to a IPAD or IPHONE and scroll fast through contacts or pictures and compare smoothness. BTW I hate anything Apple, love Droid. But Apple has true Butter. CAN I GET A- AMEN? We deserve NO LAG!

The problem here is Apple designs their OS for just one hard ware platform. Google/Android had to be able to work on almost any piece of hardware, similar to MAC vs Windows. I am think the JB upgrade, while not much of a visual update, did make my tablet much more smooth and a bit faster. I am a IT guy who has to support apps like Active Sync and RAS on Android and Iphones/Ipads, and apples has their fair share of bugs/lag.

Upvote 0
My two cents are that you may have a buggy installation of some sort.
When I first got my HTC Desire HD it was slick and snappy. When it was upgraded from Froyo to Gingerbread it became laggy at times and behaved in ways that erred with me. Even factory resets didn't help. So when ICS wasn't going to be available for it I decided to root and flash a different ROM. Now it's slick and super snappy. As part of flashing a custom rom the phone recieved a full wipe so anything pre-existing that could have been causing problems went away with the wipe. You might say that the custom rom is better and that's why it has improved but I'm pretty sure that if I had flashed it with the stock rom for it I would see it become snappy again too.

Upvote 0
Is it just me, or was Jelly Bean a big Placebo? No mater the Android upgrade, they will still have lag, crashes and bugs. Android needs to save the hype! All the upgrades to Jelly Bean were already in the App Market, developed months before Jelly Bean. True you get them all in 1 package now, but put your tablet or phone next to a IPAD or IPHONE and scroll fast through contacts or pictures and compare smoothness. BTW I hate anything Apple, love Droid. But Apple has true Butter. CAN I GET A- AMEN? We deserve NO LAG!
How do you like your new iPad?

Upvote 0
My wife has an ipad, which I use occasionally when she is having trouble with it, and I have a tf300 with Jelly Bean. As far as I can see there is no real difference nowadays when it comes to scrolling of moving through screens. In fact I marginally prefer my tf300 in those respects now that it has Jelly Bean.

The only area which the ipad is clearly better is when it comes to live video communications. Facetime is sooooooo much better than Skype, and all the other apps we have tried, and is the only reason my wife bought the ipad in the first place.

Upvote 0
The only area which the ipad is clearly better is when it comes to live video communications. Facetime is sooooooo much better than Skype, and all the other apps we have tried, and is the only reason my wife bought the ipad in the first place.

The only issue being that, with Apple yet again, Facetime is only between Apple devices, yet Skype for instance can go cross platform.

I for one would much rather use a third part app to contact my multitude of contacts than speak to my one hipster friend on Facetime.

Saying that, I've had a 4S for over 9 months now and have never used Facetime...

Upvote 0
The only issue being that, with Apple yet again, Facetime is only between Apple devices, yet Skype for instance can go cross platform.

I for one would much rather use a third part app to contact my multitude of contacts than speak to my one hipster friend on Facetime.
I well know and understand the reason it is better, but it is better.

And my wife was getting fed up with the poor and blocky Skype communications (via her laptop) with our daughter (no hipster apple lover I can assure you) in America in their weekly two hour chat. So they both bought ipads (in America so cheaper) and my wife has not regretted it since. Facetime is smooth and detailed and rarely, if ever, drops out. The only time we loose a call is when they are talking so long one of them runs out of battery!

In fact the iPad is ideal for my wife who is a committed technophobe. She can even manage to use it for other things, like google maps and looking up things on the internet. I, being a technophone, much prefer Android. But I know my wife would never be able to cope with all that freedom to do things different ways.

And of course we can all use Skype to others who do not have Apple products and when we are away from wifi.

Upvote 0
It seems to me that developers are having trouble keeping up with the new versions of Android and increasing hardware potential. Its hard when they have to make their programs work with the old slower processors too though, I feel like this is holding Android back until enough tablet optimised apps can be developed. There's quite a few apps that are great on my phone but really bad on my quad core tablet .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones