1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Jelly Bean

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by treb1797, Mar 27, 2013.

1. treb1797

treb1797 Extreme Android User
    None

May 22, 2011
    Tennessee

Advertisement

2. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Member
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Anyone tried this yet?

3. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Member
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Incidentally, a little reading shows that FoxFi free wifi tethering will probably stop working after the update. I'm holding off for now due to that reason. If we got root, then we could fix it.

4. dl95

dl95 Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2013
    The Jelly Bean update was pushed to my Strat 2 phone today via Verizon. Just showed up. No request for me to agree.

All hell broke loose on my home network shortly after.

I could connect somewhat to the wireless, but it would crash the router so all other users would be dropped too. I have an older D-Link 635 router.

I spent the day trying every fix others on the net who previously had fought similar wifi problems after the JB update. Such as resetting the factory default config, changing security protocols, disabling UPnP etc.
    None of this worked and just made a mess of my phone while pissing off my other family members trying to use the network, which kept crashing.

I have come to some conclusions.

1) Verizon has well known, since shortly after they released this update to several other phones last year that many older wireless routers are not compatible with JB. Not entirely clear where that incompatibility rests. Possibly in a new routing protocol not supported on those older routers.

It would have been nice if Verizon had prepared us for this, and maybe allowed us to temporarily opt out of JB, but instead they just pushed out JB and let many of us struggle to find out what was wrong with our networks the hard way.

Initially I could reliably crash the network immediately if I connected and then tried to download something from Google Play.

The temporary fix for me, until I can get a new router, was to disable 802.11n on my wireless router and only allow support 802.11g. Can't say I fully understand why this worked, but I found hints of this solution on other forums and I cannot argue with the good result. My home network is stable now, even with my JB Strat 2 downloading from Google play, which never worked previously.

2) Personally I think Verizon just pushed this JB release out in order to get extra $ each month from those folks who were avoiding paying for wireless hotspot capability by using Foxfi etc., which they now block in JB.

Hopefully now that I can use it, I will find some redeeming value in this JB update. Otherwise I wasted a whole day and still don't yet have my factory reset phone reconfigured back to where it was with ICS. Going to take me days to get it all back like it was.

Thank you Verizon. Not.

Hopefully this will help some others spend a little less time finding a work around, or at least understanding that they may need a more modern router with JB.

5. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Member
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That sucks. I travel a lot and connect to all sorts of wifi networks (granted, mostly G, but I'm sure that will change in the near future). I'd like to try out Google Now, but it looks like 4.1 will remain on my block list for a while. I really wish Cyanogen would pick up Strat2 support.

BTW, if you haven't already, star this issue on Google's site to bring more awareness/focus to the problem.
    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=34786

6. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Android Expert
    None

Aug 9, 2009
    CA
    Installed the update and I'm quite happy with it.

7. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Member
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Austin, TX
    The update was forced on me 5 days after it came out. I actually like the updates to the interface, and the keyboard fixed an issue I was having (having to hold Fn to get a special character to appear). It also seems to get a bit better battery life, and FoxFi and wifi have both worked perfectly so far.

I've had issues with FoxFi for years with bad/useless connections even though I had great signal and the phone was fast on the internet. I finally realized that Power Saving Mode was the culprit. Once I disabled that, my tethered internet has been LTE fast ever since.

This phone is definitely better than ever. Now if only we could get root.

8. ben7337

ben7337 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    I just got a used stratosphere II here and no update in sight. It says

service unavailable when i check for updates on it. Overall I'm not sure what to do. This model doesn't seem popular enough for a flashable file to exist online. Though if anyone has a copy, I'd appreciate it.

Is there any way to force an update besides asking it to update nicely?