• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Jellybean 4.1.2 update"

Do NOT want to have to do a factory reset again. I've just about got things back the way they're supposed to be from the last time I did a factory reset (to fix a problem)

I'm not rooted, don't want to be and have no problem using FoxFi when I need it.

Don't want to lose Flash but, if it works, I've read there are ways to install it on JB.

Is there any way for this to go smooth and be happy with JB based on the above? <lol>

Upvote 0
My droid x, and my razr maxx were, and are, the best phones I've ever owned.

I will never buy another Samsung after the nexus, I don't care how many people tell me how it's do much better.

Can't really count doing one factory reset as frequent especially when it was when ics came out... It is common knowledge to factory reset after an os upgrade to rid the system of any old files that may not work correctly, go ahead, give it a try. Read around many people had the same issues as you and after a factory reset they had none.

I for one have had absolutely no issues, probably because I started on a fresh system before upgrading, like everyone should.

I say "frequent" as I already did it soon after ICS and I had to do it again last month. I just don't think I should have to factory reset my phone once a year and reinstall everything. And I'm still having problems with the keyboard failing and delayed dialing.

I'm not sure what you mean by starting on a fresh system. Do you mean you did the FR before upgrading?

Upvote 0
I received the update but haven't installed it yet. I have decided to wait until the offical release. The update has been download but I would like to purge it. Does anyone know where it is located? I am rooted and have Root explorer. I have also frozen the updater program in Titanium backup to stop the nag screen.

Upvote 0
I received the update but haven't installed it yet. I have decided to wait until the offical release. The update has been download but I would like to purge it. Does anyone know where it is located? I am rooted and have Root explorer. I have also frozen the updater program in Titanium backup to stop the nag screen.

Welcome to the AndroidForums, mfheinze :).

If you accepted an OTA via a normal OTA push, the file should get downloaded to your /cache directory and you'd have to use Root Explorer to see it and delete it.

Note that I'm speaking generically as I don't actually own a RAZR MAXX :), but the /cache partition is where all OTA .zip files that I've received have been located.

Also, if you received this file via an OTA push by Moto / VZW, wouldn't that make it official? :thinking:

Hope that helps and again, welcome to AF!

Upvote 0
Also, if you received this file via an OTA push by Moto / VZW, wouldn't that make it official? :thinking:

Scary, since you don't have a Razr, you likely don't know about the aborted OTA JB rollout. It rolled for about a day and then was pulled back and declared to be an 'accident'. For that reason, some folks are saying what was pushed out was not the final version - thus not 'official'.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Scary, since you don't have a Razr, you likely don't know about the aborted OTA JB rollout. It rolled for about a day and then was pulled back and declared to be an 'accident'. For that reason, some folks are saying what was pushed out was not the final version - thus not 'official'.

Ah, thank you, Hoto! :)

That does indeed make sense...the OTA's .zip file should still be in the /cache directory though, eh?

Upvote 0
My wife just got a Droid Razr from Verizon last weekend. Her phone has 4.0.4 on it. Should it have had 4.1.2 on it? When she does a check for updates she's told there are no updates.

Nope, 4.1.2 is JellyBean, it hasn't been pushed out to us yet.
If you/she wants to root the phone there are some good JB ROMs available, otherwise it's a waiting game until Verizon/Motorola push out the update.

Upvote 0
One glitch I found..sometimes when on a call, and I take the phone away to hit speaker, the screen doesn't light until I hit the power button...same thing, but only sometimes, when I need to use the keypad. About 90% of the time, when the call is over, and I take the phone away from my face, the screen doesn't light up again until the other person hangs up, unless I hit the power button. Kind of annoying. Another thing I found, can't call it a glitch, is the keypad tones echo when using the keypad on a call, like with voicemail, or any other call when you need the keypad. Doesn't seem to affect anything, just thought it strange. Battery life seems improved, but I wish the proximity sensor worked better. Since this was sent out ota, when the final release comes, will everyone who got the ota(including those like me who flashed it afterward) receive the next update?

Upvote 0
One glitch I found..sometimes when on a call, and I take the phone away to hit speaker, the screen doesn't light until I hit the power button...same thing, but only sometimes, when I need to use the keypad. About 90% of the time, when the call is over, and I take the phone away from my face, the screen doesn't light up again until the other person hangs up, unless I hit the power button. Kind of annoying. Another thing I found, can't call it a glitch, is the keypad tones echo when using the keypad on a call, like with voicemail, or any other call when you need the keypad. Doesn't seem to affect anything, just thought it strange. Battery life seems improved, but I wish the proximity sensor worked better. Since this was sent out ota, when the final release comes, will everyone who got the ota(including those like me who flashed it afterward) receive the next update?

That was happening to me on ICS until I got a replacement from VZW. Now I've noticed it isn't happening... yet.

Upvote 0
Verizon rep told me they have yet to receive a firm issue date for Jelly Bean. You get the standard- "We want to be sure it's perfect" answer. That's fine with me.

Just like most big updates on a smart phone I've experienced, everyone will scream that it's taking too long then when it's released will scream that they released it too soon. :D

Upvote 0

I have the same problem. I did a full reset after upgrading to JB and never had problems with ICS. I can even aim the phone at the sun or direct light and the screen won't turn on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones