• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Jellybean 4.1.2 update"

Sorry if this has already been asked, but should I do the FDR before or after downloading the update? When I go into System Settings/About Phone/System updates, it says I have an update available. I'm assuming that's JB?

EDIT: Sorry, wow, it was actually answered just two posts above! I should take a minute or two to read before I post...

Upvote 0
Install the update. Then do the Factory Data Reset. (It will delete all apps you added and all data but leave the external SD card alone.)

... Thom
Thanks Thom, I appreciate it. This'll be my first FDR. Any advice on how to document what I have currently and how to get all the 'stuff' back on my phone after the FDR? Or do I just slog through as best I can? :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Thom, I appreciate it. This'll be my first FDR. Any advice on how to document what I have currently and how to get all the 'stuff' back on my phone after the FDR? Or do I just slog through as best I can? :)

Take screenshots of your home page(s).

Download apps fresh from Play Store.

Contacts ... I don't know what you do. I funnel mine through Google and they are automatically sent.

Data is gone. I don't care. Re-tweak. If you play games you may really care a lot about this and want to find a way to not loose it all.

I backup by USB to my workstation and use the backup very little. All my apps (but five) came from Play Store.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Data is gone. I don't care. Re-tweak. If you play games you may really care a lot about this and want to find a way to not loose it all.

I backup by USB to my workstation and use the backup very little. All my apps (but five) came from Play Store.

I've found that if data is on the sdcard then it lives through the FDR. I think that data on the internal memory lives also, but I can't remember for sure. While this happens, anything can happen so always back-up before the FDR!

Upvote 0
The first couple of days I was on the OTA I was NOT impressed with the battery life, it was far worse than what I'd been seeing on either the Xmas leak or ICS.
Last night I was forced to do an FDR (shame on me for not doing it right after the update), today the battery life was MUCH better, on par with what I'd been seeing on the Xmas leak.
So yet another vote for doing an FDR to solve various PITA problems after the update.

Upvote 0
The big killer I found was GPS. Do you have GPS enabled?

Are other people in your area having similar problems? (That's the lead in to maybe you have a tower problem.)

Running a mobile hotspot on 4G would eat battery but I assume you aren't doing that.

... Thom
I thought Google and Motorola fixed the GPS a long time ago. I have GPS on all the time with no noticeable loss of my battery...

Upvote 0
I've found that if data is on the sdcard then it lives through the FDR. I think that data on the internal memory lives also, but I can't remember for sure. While this happens, anything can happen so always back-up before the FDR!

Data on both SD Cards remains safe through an FDR. (that said, backing everything up to your PC is a good idea, just to have a backup should something else go wrong). The 'data' that gets deleted is your apps, mms, sms and things like that.

Upvote 0
I have said this in another post somewhere on this forum but I'll say it again. There is an app called Juice Defender. I swear by this app! It gives me well more than a day and a half of battery life. I don't use wifi and I don't use bluetooth. I also have GPS on for just location purposes with certain apps like foursquare and facebook and weather. That's all I have it set to use GPS for. Juice Defender on the basic setting will increase your battery life way more in my honest opinion that Smart Actions. I could never figure out Smart Actions so I looked for something else that would do the same thing only a little simpler.

Now onto my issue. You know that motorola backup assistant or assistant plus that is on the phone? Yeah how do I turn that OFF? I have gone into it and it says wait while connecting and well I let my phone sit....and sit......and sit. I get nothing it just keeps trying to connect to some server where it's going to do the backup but I don't want it to do the backup at all. It's really annoying and wants to back stuff up whenever it wants to but always fails because of my Juice Defender settings. So please help with this guys. I guess in my haste to get things set back up on my phone I didn't pay attention to what it was asking me when this popped up after my FDR. I thought it was for google honestly.

Upvote 0
I have said this in another post somewhere on this forum but I'll say it again. There is an app called Juice Defender. I swear by this app! It gives me well more than a day and a half of battery life. I don't use wifi and I don't use bluetooth. I also have GPS on for just location purposes with certain apps like foursquare and facebook and weather. That's all I have it set to use GPS for. Juice Defender on the basic setting will increase your battery life way more in my honest opinion that Smart Actions. I could never figure out Smart Actions so I looked for something else that would do the same thing only a little simpler.

Now onto my issue. You know that motorola backup assistant or assistant plus that is on the phone? Yeah how do I turn that OFF? I have gone into it and it says wait while connecting and well I let my phone sit....and sit......and sit. I get nothing it just keeps trying to connect to some server where it's going to do the backup but I don't want it to do the backup at all. It's really annoying and wants to back stuff up whenever it wants to but always fails because of my Juice Defender settings. So please help with this guys. I guess in my haste to get things set back up on my phone I didn't pay attention to what it was asking me when this popped up after my FDR. I thought it was for google honestly.
I went into my account on the Verizon website and disabled the backup assistance programs from Verizon. I don't know if it's some how connected, but since that time I have not been able to find the Verizon backup programs on my phone. While the services are free, disabling them on the website insures that Verizon will not backup your data...

Upvote 0

If I'm reading into this correct, u r saying it keeps failing because of ur juice defender settings,so if that is the case,can't u just turn off juice defender and or delete/disable it long enuff to achieve what ur trying to do,then turn juice defender back on?

Upvote 0
I installed JB yesterday and am having the same WiFi problem. I tried turning off the Verizon router and restarting but that didn't work either. It just says connecting. Very frustrating - it always worked perfectly. Thanks for any help.

After my FDR I had to re-enter my WIFI password, then it works great.
(I had to hunt my password...)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones