1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Jellybean 4.1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alextop30, Aug 11, 2012.

1. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

I thought since it is the pink elephant in the room I would bring this into light. I have been following 5 different threads on XDA forums about our device and a port of Jellybean to the T989. It seems that progress is significant and I would like to thank everyone who has been working hard to develop it.

With this said I am starting to actually test some of these roms - yes I am feeling adventurous I guess. I really hope that they are developed to the point I can use them as daily driver without too much headache but I will report to you guys what I find.

If any of you are also thinking about doing this - lets start a nice discussion about the jellybean and maybe even contribute to the development at xda :)

Oldschoolwax likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Here is the thread which I am testing things and below is the report.

[08.09.2012] CM10 JB 4.1.1 Hercules - T-Mobile Galaxy S II Development - RootzWiki

24 hours of use:

Pros:
    1. Project buttery (fast snappy) and omg it is like my Nexus 7 fast and all buttery.
    2. Battery life I went 12 hours with only 10 percent of use that was minimal battery use because for 6 of the hours I was sleeping for the other 6 it was phone calls, texts, facebook and email
    3. Fast app lunching fast app closing, fast browsing and very minimal lagg on the pinch to zoom
    4. For a rom that is unofficial it is good as a daily driver I think - have not gotten any random reboots - no echo on phone calls - one force close of dps manager when I was messing with NFC but other than that nothing.

Cons:

1. Big con - google now does not work with voice the mic is not being utalized by the kernel soooo you have no voice on google now and shazam. (Have not tested skype just yet)
    2. I have to say camera is still wonchy but with the darkside venom kernel it works. It takes fine pictures but still when the auto focus is going sometime it will flash green tint or white milky tint on the window for milisecond.
    3. GPS seems to take a little bit longer to connect but it does connect and it is stable so just a slight delay on that.
    4. Youtube app seems to be a bit problematic because when the signal is toggled between regular 3g and the HPAA+ signal the video just stops even though it has plenty of buffer but I think that is because of the GAPPS version I have.
    5. Facebook contact sync - forget about it. Just flat out does not work
    6. Camcorder (video recording) forget about it just does not work (known issue and it will be resolved).

Other than these I really cannot find any problem with the rom - It works a whole lot better than ICS and if battery life is a must for anyone this rom seems to have gold oozing out of the battery. If you can live with some of the shortcomings such as no voice on shazam and google now you would be a pretty happy individual. I have read that the green tint on the camera has been fixed on the newer builds but it really does not matter because the photo does not have green tint on it. Camcorder is a known issue and as far as I know it is being worked on.

I will post another update as time goes on but this rom is definitely going to stay on my phone for a while!

zubero, Oldschoolwax and Atma like this.
  3. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

UPDATE:::

I was not actually planning to update until I get some more extensive use with this rom however I think that the recent changes deserve update.

The rom was updated last night it is seriously a great update Thanks goes to Binary Bishop!!!

From the cons what has been removed is

1. Google now, shazam and skype all work very nicely - the kernel was fixed.
    2. Camcorder and camera functional - yay they work
    3. Youtube app - seems to have been a problem with Gapps!
    4. Facebook contact sync does not work because of the way google is has designed Jellybean and since it is taken from source contacts do not sync - basically the same reason they do not sync on the Nexus 7
    5. GPS is working fine :)

There seems to only be one drawback now and it is a random reset every now and than on my phone it appears as if the phone is off but I actually have pull the battery in order to start it back up again. I hope this is fixed soon so we can enjoy this fast and stable rom!

zubero, Oldschoolwax and Atma like this.
  4. Atma

Atma Extreme Android User

Sounds like it's coming along good. I might have to try it now that the cam is fixed. I wonder if Darkside Cache Wipe would help with the random reset?

5. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Well I used it the only thing I did was to flash the new rom on top of the old one so I don't have to rearrange the home screen icons. The good thing is that I have only have one turn off/reboot so I think it is pretty good. And gnow is very very nice.

Atma likes this.
  6. Atma

First ROM I've flashed in months. I like it but I have to figure out why Titanium isn't seeing my backups.

7. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Hmmm - I didn't have any problem pulling down the backups of titanium - I keep them stored in my sd card and have a backup copy on google drive but almost always I have only the user apps for the system stuff I really don't care - in the stock rom there are way too much samsung crap to have to sift through to get to the stuff I really care about.

There is an option in TB to extract the user apps and data from a nandroid backup. If it is giving you problem restoring the backups just try that, hopefully it works so you can enjoy the rom. I am still going on the one restart that happened yesterday after I installed the rom over the previous nightly so I am happy.

For some reason I am also encountering some force closes on Tapatalk 2 on my phone and on my Nexus 7 and that is not even rooted so I am almost positive that is from the app itself.

8. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Also I like how I talk about XDA in my original post but yet I am linked to the Rootz Wiki page - ahhh sometimes I do need a nice slap in the face. I think I will ask my girl friend to perform that procedure :)

9. Atma

I just had to point Ti to the correct folder.

I'm really liking this so far. I haven't had any problems so far. The biggest problem I had was finding a mirror to download it.

10. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Yea it seems goo is being a really big pain in the butt lately.

11. OptiC-ShotS

OptiC-ShotS Android Enthusiast

This is great news :) i hope everything goes well. Would love to see jelly on this phone :D

12. Atma

Well, I thought everything was working great until I tried to transfer files over USB. I tried a Jelly Bean AOKP rom and had the same problem. Restore my nandroid back to ICS and everything was fine.

Downloading the latest CM10 JB Hercules build, 8/16, now to see if that's been fixed.

OptiC-ShotS likes this.
  13. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

That seems to be a weird way it mounts the sd card. What I did was unmount the sd card restart my phone allowing it to mount it by itself and it was all good. Now my phone is not exhibiting any problems. I think there is a problem when it mounts the card it does something weird and the path is no longer ex_sd card but another physical device. But yea I usually use airdroid so I am not too effected but if you want to try it again just unmount and restart!

Atma likes this.
  14. Bandaid

Bandaid Android Enthusiast

I’m happy you guys are having fun with this new rom. I have been testing other roms and I keep coming back to my stripped version of ICS. Its faster then other roms I’ve tested (without over clocking) and it’s the most stable. I’m also not crazy over roms that need to have a modem installed. It seems the original modems that come with android 2.3.6 uvkl1 and ICS uvle1 are best for providing a good signal. Of course this is my experience.

15. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Bandaid likes this.
  16. Bandaid

Bandaid Android Enthusiast

dammit Alextop30 now I'm all keyed up lol. My problem is I always follow instructions to a tee. I'll download the ROM and take it to work me. Maybe during lunch I'll flash the rom. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

17. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Make sure you pick the 8-16-2012 nightly that one is the more stable one as I far as I have tested with the SODs fixed. Happy flashing at lunch!!! Ps just leave your radio as is and enjoy your ICS radio with the rom :)

18. omantortuga

omantortuga Lurker

I put this on my phone last night.... Am I wrong or is there no wifi calling option with this build... I hope I am just missing it cause that is a must for me...

19. Atma

I don't see it either. Unless it is hidden I guess it doesn't have it yet. I'm on the 8/19 build.

20. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

These are early builds and not everything is 100%. At this point developers are focused on core functionality.

WiFi calling us one of those things that few people use so it isn't worked on right away.

21. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

Yea like a noob I forgot to include that one in the no options list. I don't really use wifi calling so I must have overlooked it. Sorry about that and hope that they bring it over soon because jelly bean is really nice.

22. OptiC-ShotS

wait, where will i find this ROM when its finished?

23. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

OptiC-ShotS likes this.
  24. Atma

I'm really liking this rom. I don't have any problems connecting to USB anymore.

I tried Jedi Mind Trick too and its a great rom, but its ICS based and I want JB.

25. OptiC-ShotS

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews