• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jellybean 4.2 Sphere camera/gallery App. Where is it?

UKDave83

Lurker
Jan 3, 2013
Hello guys. Weeks ago I read about the new changes/updates in the Jellybean 4.2 software and I was quite looking forward to them. I updated my Galaxy S3 to 4.2 yesterday. I've hardly tried anything new as I've been a little busy. Could someone tell me how to open the new Sphere camera/gallery App please? I really want to try it but it's like... it's not there? I've looked on all the camera options/settings and I can't find it. It's not in the App Draw. If I Google/YouTube it I'll just find someone explaining how to modify your phone. I don't need to do this as it was explained that the S3 will get the new Sphere camera.

I'd really appreciate anyone's help :)

First off id like to say welcome to the forums and that i have moved your thread to your devices section so you ca recieve as much help as possible. :)

Currently photosphere is availavle on 4.2 but currently 4.2 wont be availavle on the galaxy s3 till mid to late january so i expext it was 4.1.2 that you have just updated to.

So looks like you will have to wait a bit more before getting your photosphere camera ;) or you could look into rooting your device and flashing 4.2 yourself ;)

Reactions: UKDave83
Upvote 0
but the Galaxy Note2 has the sphere gallery and is Android version 4.1.1 just lke the latest version on my Galaxy s3 ????

Thats not the same thing.

Photosphere camera is a Google product not Samsung. Samsung will not be implementing a google camera so this Photsphere feature would need to be imitated by Samsung if they want it as a feature.

Upvote 0
I only recently got the SIII and immediately rooted it and put a custom ROM (Omega v35) on it, so I don't really know what the original stock ROM pertained in terms of camera. The Omega ROM has a "Panorma" setting, which does very much the same as the Galaxy Nexus "Photosphere" but is not quite as slick. It does take decent panorama pics up to 360deg.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

Did you update to official firmware or are you using a custom Rom. The latest official release is 4.1.2 so the only way to get this feature is to run a custom Rom. There isn't any release date as to when 4.2 will officially be available so it'll probably be quite a while.

No custom ROMs needed. Just root and CWM.

Hello guys!

I wasn't expecting that many replies, so thank you! I got the latest update for my S3 Android which is this one Android - What's New - I have all the features stated apart from the Sphere camera. I can't find it. I don't which to root/modify my device.

You won't find it. See above.

Upvote 0
Hello guys!

I wasn't expecting that many replies, so thank you! I got the latest update for my S3 Android which is this one Android - What's New - I have all the features stated apart from the Sphere camera. I can't find it. I don't which to root/modify my device.

Please read the answers already in this thread....

To summarise:

1. We don't have 4.2 yet. The update we have is not what you linked to

2. Photosphere is part of the Google camera. We dont have the Google camera. We have the samsung camera so even if we did have 4.2, we still wouldn't have that feature

Upvote 0
Please read the answers already in this thread....

To summarise:

1. We don't have 4.2 yet. The update we have is not what you linked to

2. Photosphere is part of the Google camera. We dont have the Google camera. We have the samsung camera so even if we did have 4.2, we still wouldn't have that feature

Yet, it is still compatible if you are rooted ytou can flash it via CWM.

Upvote 0
Are you using any of these on a touchwiz ROM? They all confirm working with AOSP (which was never in question) but they don't confirm working with non aosp.

The first link is for g-nex only

The middle link does specify aosp only. Which makes sense....(cm 10 for s3)

The last one has been taken down because its Google proprietory....

I use them on S3 with TW original firmware, just rooted and CWMed. A friend is using it (from XDA) on S2 with Wananmlite.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones