• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jellybean installation

Thanks for the reply. On the pac in black xda thread, its says preferably to use el26, but you said that if I used it, it wouldn't go past the samsung logo. Can you give me any suggestions as to what kernal I can use with pac in black since the one posted on that xda thread is wrong. Also, since I'm on a stock rom, I should have agat kernal already on my sd card then, right?? And when I flash another kernal, that won't erase the agat file from my sd card, right, so if I do flash the wrong kernal, I could always get back into recovery and reflash agat, then??

Upvote 0
It's not the wrong one man. El 26 won't boot ics. But it will still boot the recovery if you press volume up and power. That goes for any kernel you flash if it was the wrong one. When you flash el26 or 29 you just reboot into recovery. And you'll notice its cwm5 not agat.

When you flash the Pac in black Rom it will put the right kernel on your phone bud. It will have cwm6 and it will boot up.

Don't forget to wipe data and both caches before you flash the Rom.

You need to put the agat 0.6.8 zip on your phone and back up the stock Rom your on. Then if you ever want to go back to it you can boot up in any recovery and flash the agat kernel then reboot recovery and you'll notice your back in agat. Then you can restore your stock Rom.

Just follow the instructions on the rom. They are correct. We have been using them for a very long time. If you just do what it asks you to do it will work fine

Reactions: jreink01
Upvote 0
Only the recovery u made the backup with will restore the backup u made. So think of it as long as u have a pair on your sd card " a recovery u made a back up with and a backup" u will always have a way out if u mess up. U just flash the right recovery and restore the backup u made with it.

And flashing roms and wiping data will not erase your internal or external sd card

Upvote 0
I'm trying to flash EL26 thru recovery. I go to install from sd card but I don't see the file. I saved the zipp onto the extsd (in no folder), just on the card, but I'm not seeing it. Does it need to be in in a special place in order for the recovery to see it??

I see my error, I downloaded the tar file, thats why the recovery isn't seeing it, where do I find the el26 zip?? In the one stop shop under kernals and el26, it only has the tar version.

Upvote 0
No doesn't need to be anywhere special. Just look for it in both sd cards. Find everything on your sd cards with a file explorer so you know where they are

I found the file in my file explorer, right on the extsd, but when I go into recovery, its not there. I know you wrote that the recovery won't see a tar file. Where can I get the zip version, I looked in the one stop shop and even in the kernal repository and they only have the tar zip.

Upvote 0
This is from post 41 in the one stop shop when I helped someone else install a jb aosp Rom. Just follow the instructions or go look at post 41 and read ahead a little bit in the one stop shop so you can see how it turned out for them

Try this kernel. - http://db.tt/Sft8LyXO

Don't try to boot the phone after flashing this as its a jb kernel it just won't boot. Only reboot recovery! Then wipe data and both caches. Then flash ROM and gapps and now u can boot the phone...

Upvote 0
This is from post 41 in the one stop shop when I helped someone else install a jb aosp Rom. Just follow the instructions or go look at post 41 and read ahead a little bit in the one stop shop so you can see how it turned out for them

Try this kernel. - http://db.tt/Sft8LyXO

Don't try to boot the phone after flashing this as its a jb kernel it just won't boot. Only reboot recovery! Then wipe data and both caches. Then flash ROM and gapps and now u can boot the phone...

Thank you, I will try that and see how it works.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I will try that and see how it works.

I did what what they suggested on the xda thread and what I learned from you (self-elevated) and I installed the rom flawlessly. I am having a issue that is kind of bothersome. Every time I click on the app button on the home screen and click on widgets, nothing comes up automactically. I have to swipe the screen in order for the widgets to show up. Sometimes when I click on the app button on the home screen, the apps don't show up either. If I swipe, they will then show up. When it happens with the apps, it happens randomly. Is anyone else having this problem?? or is there a fix for this??

Also, I noticed that I don't have visual voicemail. Is there a way I can get this??

Upvote 0
I have just downloaded the vvm apk to my sd card. I went into recovery and it does not recognize the file. I have moved the file to different places, including the internal memory but it still does not recognize it. Am I suppose to flash this file with the recovery or something else and if I do flash with recovery, where exactly am I suppose to put it??

Upvote 0
I have just downloaded the vvm apk to my sd card. I went into recovery and it does not recognize the file. I have moved the file to different places, including the internal memory but it still does not recognize it. Am I suppose to flash this file with the recovery or something else and if I do flash with recovery, where exactly am I suppose to put it??

N/M I figured it out. I had to put it in the internal memory and long press the file to install it.

Upvote 0
I did what what they suggested on the xda thread and what I learned from you (self-elevated) and I installed the rom flawlessly. I am having a issue that is kind of bothersome. Every time I click on the app button on the home screen and click on widgets, nothing comes up automactically. I have to swipe the screen in order for the widgets to show up. Sometimes when I click on the app button on the home screen, the apps don't show up either. If I swipe, they will then show up. When it happens with the apps, it happens randomly. Is anyone else having this problem?? or is there a fix for this??

Also, I noticed that I don't have visual voicemail. Is there a way I can get this??

I did do a full wipe and installed the rom again. In the midst of resetting all of my settings, when I went into launcher, app drawer and changed the swiping of the app drawer to vertical instead of horizontal, it started up again, where when pressing the app button from the home screen, it doesn't show any apps unless I swipe. I changed it back to horzontal and it worked fine. Also, when I had it changed to vertical, I was getting trebuchet not responding. Ever since I changed it back to horizontal, I am not getting this. I also, restored the previous back up that I was having these issues with and changed this setting to horizontal and haven't been having any issues. Some how the vertical swiping of the app drawer is causing the launcher to become unstable and not work right.
Also, I noticed when I first installed this rom, I had the regular e-mail app (not gmail), now I cant find it installed. I looked in the app store but couldn't find the correct e-mail app that comes with a widget. Is this another apk file that I have to install?? If so, how can I get it??

Upvote 0
I am also having a few other issues. Since I don't have the native regular e-mail app, I had to install yahoo mail for the time being. Now, when I get a e-mail, the led light blinks really fast. I went into settings in yahoo e-mail and there is no setting for the led light. I also went into settings, rom, and led light and under default, its suppose to blink once every 9 seconds. How can I get this to not blink as fast??

Also, the wifi indicator in the status bar stays on, even when I'm not connected to any wifi. At home I have wifi, but then when I travel, it still stays on, but when I go into settings, wifi, it shows that its not connected to any wifi network??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones