1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

JH7 update on Android 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by akshayas1986, Feb 3, 2011.

1. akshayas1986

akshayas1986 Lurker

Hey guys

I have a Samsung Captivate with the Froyo installed, lag fix installed and rooted.

I realized that my phone has the JI6 firmware and not the JH7. Just to make sure that I don't brick the phone, I had a couple of questions

1. First off, does JH7 even improve the GPS? I thought JI6 was a GPS fix. My GPS still sucks and was hoping to try out anything to get it fixed.

2. Given that I already have Froyo and lag fix and rooted, can I just use ODIN to flash new firmware or should I do some "pre-flashing" changes before using ODIN? I tried searching for this online but could not find anything that explained it well enough.

3. I am beginning to wonder that JH7 in combination with GPSRestore can fix the GPS issue. Anyone here who has been successful with this combo?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Android Enthusiast

If you have a bad gps, theres no fix currently. There are things you can do that may improve how fast it locks etc. but theres nothing that will completely fix the gps.

if you want to flash a new rom, it's usually a good idea to flash back to stock using odin. Then you re-root, reinstall rom manager, place rom on internal sd card, install rom, enjoy and thank the rom creator.

Remember to remove sim and external sd card while flashing roms.

3. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye

1. Some say yes, some including me say no. JI6 was a leaked version and not official, so maybe when the official does come out...

2. Yes you can use Odin but for some reason everyone that flashes back with Odin cannot connect to AT&T for updates. I found an Odin restore that said something about the three button fix in the title (it was on XDA) that returned me back to JF6 and I was able to update to JH7, but that may have been a fluke.
    Here: {Stock Rom} Odin JF6 with 3 button fix - xda-developers

3. It did not work for me and many, many others, so try it if you want, but I doubt it will work.

4. akshayas1986

akshayas1986 Lurker

Ok, given the response, I think I will pass the upgrade. Samsung Captivate is claimed to be the "best" phone on AT&T but having used other Android phones (Droix Incredible, Droid X, Evo), Captivate is way behind and has tremendous design flaws: The phone without lag fix is slow, GPS does not work, poor battery life being the top three.

The more I think of it, the more I get frustrated about the fact that I am stuck with this phone for another one and half years!!

5. Endoran

Endoran Android Enthusiast

So...what ROM do you have installed? If you are running JUST the leaked froyo that came out like 3 months ago then...yes your phone probably does suck. :eek:

6. tylerdurdin

tylerdurdin Android Enthusiast

Not for nothing but whenever I flash I go back to stock then use kies for JH7 then flash whatever rom I am going to run. The kicker here is that my gps has worked on every rom I flashed except the stock with JH7. On the earlier cog roms I had problems but then I was not doing the JH7 between flashes. Is JH7 the missing ingredient? ??????? I can't say for sure but GPS has always done pretty well on my phone with it.

7. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert

Why are you..or anybody for that matter..stuck with this, or any phone for any length of time?

8. akshayas1986

akshayas1986 Lurker

I work in the silicon industry where we take a lot of pain and effort in making things work almost perfect. It takes a lot of effort to screw up after giving an almost perfect chip.

Lets forget everything for a second. How did this phone pass the quality checks with such a bad GPS? I have stood under empty skies with GPS test app and the Captivate failed to spot even a single satellite. I am surprised since Samsung typically makes good and reliable electronics.

I think this is what happened. Samsung guys put in the super AMOLED display to covered up for all the mess created under the hood.

9. andrzewi

andrzewi Member

My Captivate after update to Froyo has info like this: Firmware version: 2.2
    Baseband version: I896UXJL1
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9
    Buld number: FROYO.UXJL1
    Nothing about symbols you said, is it something wrong with my phoneon Rogers? And where can I find those symbols: JI6 or JH7?

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews