• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JIT Compiler on Android 2.1?

sparki

Lurker
Oct 25, 2010
I just picked up the Samsung Intercept from Virgin Mobile at Target to get my feet wet with Android. For $25 a month with unlimited data, text, and 300 minute talk, I thought it was a good deal. I like it very much so far and I read about JIT compilers on Android 2.2 which boosts the speed of the phone way up. Does anyone know if there is a JIT compiler for Android 2.1?

Reactions: one80oneday
I switched over two weeks ago. I don't like the Intercept as much as I liked my HTC Hero on Sprint, but it is pretty close. The difference in the final bill every month makes up for the Intercept's shortcomings.

I am hesitant to attempt to ROOT my Intercept because I don't have a backup "RUU" file (not sure if this is a good description) to restore my phone while I am learning the "ins and outs" of ROOTing.

Reactions: sparki
Upvote 0
I rooted using inxane's recovery, flashed his kernel and JIT. I believe you need to do the former before you can flash JIT.

Installing the custom recovery is important because I think it's the only way to install the zip from your sd card.

All of the information on how to do this can be found on the forum mentioned above.

However, you should know that in my opinion, having JIT and root doesn't make that much of a difference..not yet anyway. JIT shows that there are a greater number of "MFLOPS", but I haven't noticed a difference. If having wireless tether is really important to you, you might want to give it a shot-that's the only benefit I see in doing it right now. Installing apps to the sd card isn't really an option yet, and that's the main reason I wanted to root but I didn't find that out until after I did it.

Reactions: sparki
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones