• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Juice Defender help

foster729

Lurker
Mar 22, 2011
I apologize in advance if my questions are so basic, but the Thunderbolt is my first Android and I'm still trying to get the hang of it all.

Obviously, the battery life sucks, so I downloaded Juice Defender. My question is this- once it's downloaded, do I actually have to do anything with it? Set it up somehow? Or will it just work on its own?

Thank you in advance!

I apologize in advance if my questions are so basic, but the Thunderbolt is my first Android and I'm still trying to get the hang of it all.

Obviously, the battery life sucks, so I downloaded Juice Defender. My question is this- once it's downloaded, do I actually have to do anything with it? Set it up somehow? Or will it just work on its own?

Thank you in advance!

Open the application for the the first time and select the "default" setting (should be selected already). Now the application will always be running. It will put an icon in your notification bar.

***Note: Some people have reported this application has not been working properly with the ThunderBolt. Some people have luck with the beta version in the market.

Reactions: foster729
Upvote 0
I think your right, lolz. Is it me, or does that Breece dude sound a little condescending? I wrote up that I was still getting errors with the Beta, and either my 4g/3g or my wifi wouldnt start back up again after being shut down.

He does seem a little bit, but who knows, everything can sound different over the internet. I actually just purchased Ultimate Juice to hopefully turn my wifi on and off based on where I am. Hopefully it will keep my wifi on when i'm at home or my office, but will turn it off anywhere else.

I am still getting errors in my log, but the 3g switching still appears to be working.

However, it seems to be keeping the wifi on when my screen is off. It says that it is "training."

Steve: Here is the link to the private beta if you want to sign up: http://latedroid.com/beta/

Reactions: McLabia
Upvote 0
It only took an hour or so before they accepted me, so I doubt the acceptance criteria is very strict.

Just so you know, I still get errors even with the private beta. But hopefully it'll actually turn on and off your 3G/4G radios for you.
Curious, do you have a build number on your version of JD? Im wondering if its different then the beta in the market

Upvote 0
I have been using JD Ultimate since I got the phone. it is fabulous. here are my settings:

Mobile data - ENABLED. this turns off the 4G radio when the screen is locked.

WiFi - ENABLED. this switches to WiFi where it's available, which is a little annoying b/c 4G is faster but also saves lots of battery.

Brightness - ENABLED with min -60%, mid 30%, max 125%. this lets the screen be really dark indoors and super bright outdoors. light sensor = FAST

I don't really use the Schedule feature. But on the Triggers, I have it set so the radio stays on when it's on the A/C charger (but not USB).

I also have the Location feature ENABLED, which keeps it from checking for WiFi networks all the time.

Reactions: bluenik25
Upvote 0
Thank you I will give these a shot. How long is your battery lasting?

I don't really have problems with the battery running out. I charge it every night.

That said, if I don't use JD, it's gone in six hours or so. But I am not pushing email and syncing every 5 minutes.

I am also using the SEIDIO 1600 mAh battery, and I turn it off to charge it overnight.

very pleased overall.

Upvote 0
I just got the phone Friday of last week and I haven't put it down yet. Using the phone so much it is hard for me to get a good read on the stock battery, but it is obviously not lasting near as long as my OG Droid. The first few days the battery may have lasted five hours under heavy use. After that I started making the necessary changes to improve battery life such as, sync times, WiFi, and GPS. I installed JD with the default settings at lunch yesterday and unplugged the phone at 4:00pm. When I plugged it in at 11:00 it was at 50%. During that time I made four calls surfed the net and listened to music for about four hours. JD has already made a big improvement and I haven't tried any of your settings! Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Beta version from the Android market last night and put the stock battery back my Thunderbolt to see what happened. (I have been using the 2750 because I'm not near a charger allot of times, but today I was going to be in the office)

I just used the default settings on it and used it like I normally do. It's surprised me that it not only made a difference, but a fairly obvious one. I used to have to plug it into a charger halfway through the day like clockwork, but it's not made it down to 50% charge yet and it's been up 9 hours. I'll watch and see for a few more days, but if the free beta is this good consistently, I'll be quite happy to drop money on the full version! :)

Upvote 0
I've been unplugged since 5:30 this morning giving me close to ten hours unplugged with moderate usage. I decided not to bump charge today so that I could test the difference with juice defender. I am just now at 50% and 20% of my battery usage is due to being off network and searching. My battery would have been long dead by now. If this performance continues another day, I too will purchase the Ultimate version to see ust how good it can get!

Upvote 0
I just realized the reason this app works is because everytime your screen turns off, JD turns off the radio and it only turns back on when you get a call/text or when you turn your screen back on. This is great in theory but I use this app called Liveprofile which is like a BBM equivalent for all phone types and everytime your radio goes out, you lose connection to their servers and will never get messages so this doesn't work for me. Oh well, I uninstalled Advanced task killer too as I've read in too many places the no need for task killers so i'll see how it fares now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones