• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

juice defender, is it any good?

I used the full version for about a week, but the bugs relating to 3G and wifi not restarting properly after being switched off for power saving made it useless to me.
The dev says the bugs are inherent in Android (Fixed in Froyo, perhaps?) and there's nothing he can do about them.

Turning on the wifi only when the screen is activated would definitely have saved battery, and that part seemed to work OK after I put in a fixed IP address, but I just couldn't rely on 3G being there when I needed it.

WS

Upvote 0
I used the full version for about a week, but the bugs relating to 3G and wifi not restarting properly after being switched off for power saving made it useless to me.
The dev says the bugs are inherent in Android (Fixed in Froyo, perhaps?) and there's nothing he can do about them.

Turning on the wifi only when the screen is activated would definitely have saved battery, and that part seemed to work OK after I put in a fixed IP address, but I just couldn't rely on 3G being there when I needed it.

WS

Then he shouldn't be selling the app on the market as fully functional.

Upvote 0
Then he shouldn't be selling the app on the market as fully functional.

I tend to agree, and was on the verge of mailing the dev about it, but I guess his argument would be that people should have tried the free version first, and if they don't experience (or find they can live with) the bugs, then go for the paid.
I think the free version only deals with APN, which was the buggiest part.
Also, first entry in his FAQ is about the bugs, and how he can't address them.
It gets a lot of +ve reviews, so some must be finding it useful.

I've kept it, disabled, in case there are any developments.

I use his JuicePlotter, too, which is also crippled by at least one Android bug! (screen being shown as on, when it isn't). At least that's free...

WS

Upvote 0
I quite like it, it has riny probs like being slow to connect up now and again but it saves the battery for me, got 17 hours out of one charge this week, used the net a fair bit.

If you sit on the net for 3 hours then it will be of no use but is of more value to your battery when you are not using the phone if that makes sense.

Upvote 0
i found it added 50% to my battery life.
went from using over 60% in 12 hours to using only 30-40%
trial version
had the same APN prob - changed one of the settings - now no probs.

only prob was progs that use regular 3G access .
if their sync time is not same as sync of juice defender they cant access web for updates - u then get a msg when u turn screen on again.

phone is mainly for work.
play with features approx 1hr per day...
otherwise just calls.
long battery life is important for me.
i still charge it every nite tho - so it hasnt actually changed how i can use thr phone. just added insurance to know battery will last full day.

cheers
SuttoSnax

Upvote 0
I bought the Samsung Galaxy S2 because I wanted a powerful phone that allows me to use a lot of cool features. I also want good battery life. So, I decided to try out Juice Defender. At first I thought I would try out the basic settings and see what happened. Of course my battery life improved a lot but then I realised that I was being signed in and out of GTalk (and all other IM programs). I was also not receiving messages from WhatsApp or Gmail. Juice Defender would re-enable data about 2-3 times every hour and outside of these times my phone is effectively “disconnected”. While I appreciate the notion of saving battery life if I can’t use my phone for its basic functions (e.g. receiving messages) then there is no point in buying it. I guess I will have to find other ways to improve battery life.

Upvote 0
I used it but found it saved very little battery life. I'm sure it could have been set up to be more ruthless but I leave my 3g/WiFi on all the time. As I work during the week my phone has minimal use and down to about 75-70% when I finish. This leaves me with plenty of juice for the evenings. I charge every night so its a bit of a redundant app. But conversely, a friend of mine swears by it almost doubling his power. It just depend on how strict you have its settings etc.
I imagine if you're a heavy user, you might not benefit from it too much..

Upvote 0
I find it a useful app, even if not using it's main function of only using the radios once every xminutes.
I find the night mode good to turn off data completely overnight when i don;t want alerts and so on disturbing my sleep, but then if I am actively using it they stay on.
It's also a good all-in-one app for setting sleep timers and so on. Could easily replace with maybe 4-5 separate apps, but the convenience of a one stop shop works for me.

Upvote 0
Gets a thumbs up here from me.

Love the night mode especially. Very occasional issues with turning the data connections back on but by and large its fine and the extra days worth of charge I get out of it far outweighs the very small inconvenience of having to toggle 3G or WiFi back on. Also get it to turn the WiFi on before the 3G to make sure that if you are at home it always uses wifi rather than mobile data.

Couldn't work Tasker when I tried that. This does everything I want it to and gives me much better battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones