• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

juice defender, is it any good?

Thanks all for your input...I have downloaded onto my TF and find it is very helpful in saving the tablet's battery life. Since the latest firmware update I find it has helped with issues regarding battery drainage that others are having. Some have asked if the dock's battery life is extended. Frankly, I think the dock's battery is simply a resource for the tablet so Juice Defender has no affect on the dock's battery. If you can, keep the dock and tablet apart as much as possible. When you attach the dock to the tablet and charge both, what you are really doing is charging the dock, which in turn charges the tablet if the tablet's battery needs charging.

Upvote 0
I've did have the app for a few weeks.. for some reason it kept crashing when I was changing a few settings. I reinstalled it and finally got it to work a few days later.

I never really found much difference. The Redux rom doesn't seem to use that much power, even after tweaking the CPU to run slightly faster. I tend to manually change my Wi-fi, 3G settings and brightness if I need to save power for the rest of the day. The only app that uses data in the background is the weatherbug app that updates itself automatically every 2 hours. Gmail I rarely use on my phone due to the amount of pointless emails advertising stuff I don't need.

Even when I play with it heavily with wi-fi, GPS I'll still have about 40% without the Juice Defender app. From my short experience with it I only found that it turned 3G, Wi-Fi on and off, something that takes seconds. I suppose it's a good app if you need to be constantly updating stuff like Gmail, facebook, twitter while you leave your phone unattended as the app will automatically turn data on and off for short durations to allow for updates.

I suppose it's down to what you do with your phone. If you have a need to have your phone updating every 10 minutes then perhaps download it. I don't so I've since uninstalled it.

Upvote 0
I have the ultimate version and it works great. Since yesterday, I had the phone unplugged for over 12 hours. In that time, I surfed the web, played a game or two for about 30 minutes, received some phone calls and my battery still had 70% left this morning.

Granted, I also have an extended battery, but even with that, I still notice my battery lasting about 1.5 times longer. Juice Defender is showing that my battery life has increased 1.77x which seems to be close to what I've noticed.

Upvote 0
I heard good things about JD (and juice defender!).
It's now up and running as of 11pm today, on a Samsung Ace.
I'm a 'light' user, in that I don't play games and I'm not permanently on Facebook telling the world I've had a sandwich.
To me the phone is a handy work tool, maps, WiFi etc, I don't show off using the spirit level to check peoples heads etc.
All these stupid phones have stupid apps and we all relish the thought of a 'free' one, it's fun innit. However it's at the cost of the battery life, obviously.
Therefore this represents a time test from a boring average user.
I'll check in again in a week, the next exciting episode etc..........:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones