1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Juice Defender problem with Droid Charge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cubsfan61, May 19, 2011.

1. cubsfan61

cubsfan61 Newbie

Hi. New android user here. I recently purchased a Samsung Droid Charge from Verizon. Love the phone and the android OS, but the battery life is pretty bad. I had read about juice defender and it sounded like something worth trying.

Installed JD on my Droid Charge and used the default options. The problem I'm having is when I unlock the phone and go to use anything that requires a network connection, I'm getting an error that no network connection exists. The 3G icon is not displayed in the task bar even though I have a good signal. Notification drop down show that mobile data is active.

I have also read through the thread on connection problems and quite a few people have been having connection issues with the Droid Charge, so I'm not sure if it's a phone issue, or a Juice Defender problem. I have had a couple times when in a low signal area I lost 3g and had to restart the phone to reestablish. FYI, I'm current not in a 4g area. We're getting 4g later this year.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Has anyone had similar problems with this phone/software combo?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

Outsider(Avid HustlaZ) Well-Known Member

Honestly i havent had problems with the battery...do you use your phone alot for internet, downloading and streaming? If so then thats why your experiencing battery issuses so that could be why your battery gives you problems but as for JD idk ive never needed to use it but hopefully the battery tip i gave you helps you

3. cubsfan61

cubsfan61 Newbie

No streaming. Just checking email, browsing some articles on taptu. Might have downloaded a couple small apps. Even with having the phone plugged into my laptop USB for 30 minutes or so the phone was down to 49% by noon.

4. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

Outsider(Avid HustlaZ) Well-Known Member

Thats weird...like i said i havent had any problems at all with battery life..do you have a task killer/manager?

5. cubsfan61

cubsfan61 Newbie

Not currently. I originally had ATK (which Verizon installed), but had read several threads and articles saying that Android was designed to handle task killing on its own and that using a task killer could cause problems and actually make battery life worse. That's why I decided to try JuiceDefender, but the Droid Charge just can't find the 3G signal after restarting with JuiceDefender active.

6. cubsfan61

cubsfan61 Newbie

I'll see how the phone does today. I really don't want to have to deal with carrying an extra battery though. And I would like to be able to actually "use" the phone without constantly worrying about battery life. If it doesn't get better, it's going back to Verizon. Wonder if the battery life on the DX2 would be any better. Would lose the 4g capability though. We're getting 4g before the end of the year and I was hoping to get in while the data plan is unlimited. But if the Droid charge battery life is this bad on 3g, I can't imagine how bad it would be on 4g. Would be lucky to make it until lunch.

Kevin

7. Breece

Breece Lurker

Hey,

I am Breece and manage the support @Latedroid (JuiceDefender).
    Just stumbled over your problem and wanted to refer you to our support forum at:
    latedroid.uservoice.com

Technical problems / questions are best asked there :)

So if you uninstall JD this problem does not occur? What version of JD are you on? Did you try the latest beta available on the market? You might also consider joining our private beta:
    latedroid.com/beta

Breece

8. cubsfan61

cubsfan61 Newbie

Breese -

I downloaded the most current version from the Market and used the default settings. I also tried another similar product "Green Battery Premium" or something like that, and got the same result. When I wake the phone, I'm not getting 3g and any app I try gives me a network error. I have to restart the phone or go into network settings and switch back and forth between LTE automatic and CDMA to get the 3G to reconnect. Without one of these products installed, I have no problems. 3G is connected when I wake my phone.

If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them, as I'm still having issues with battery life.

Kevin

9. Breece

Breece Lurker

It looks like your are experiencing an old android bug.. what android are you on?
    Would you try the latest beta of JD?
    If you have more problems / questions please head over to our forums.

Breece

10. moJoe

moJoe Lurker

I've had the same problems with both Juice Defender and the Green one. With JD, my 3G would come back on after between 5 and 10 minutes of turning it back on, with the Green whateverwhatever, it worked perfectly at first, then it got to the point where I had to reboot my phone to get 3G to come back on after letting the phone sleep.

This was extra annoying as I discovered that last bug while wandering around drunk trying to use my phone to find a bus that was still running. But I digress.

I'd try the Beta as I am still interested in battery management. I'll follow your link and see what's what.

11. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

I don't see why apps like Juice Defender is needed when you can tweak sync setting on most apps. It seems to cause more issues than helping the power management.

12. jerry8508

jerry8508 Lurker

I had the same problem and found when not in a 4G area the phone will search for 4G and use a lot of power. I changed my phone to cmda 3G only and now good battery life.

13. Nimbulus

Nimbulus Lurker

Hi Breece, I wanted to let you know I'm having the same issue with my Charge. I tried installing the beta and get the same result. I've tried the mobile data autofix, but it takes an extremely long time to work. I love JD, bought ultimate and have used it on all of my android devices. please help!

14. flipdiddlin

flipdiddlin Lurker

I also am having this problem with my charge. JD seems to work real well in terms of extending the battery life and id like to be able to leave it on all the time. However it seems to randomly cut out my 4g or 3g connectivity. When I disable the app I have no connection problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the attention to issue Breece

15. kanwarv

kanwarv Lurker

I am having the same problem it seems as if the Charge just loses data connection.
    I work in a strong 4G area and if I shift to 4G get good coverage and good battery life on standby but the moment I start using the data network the battery just gets sucked out falling to 50% in 15 minutes of browsing/email - Yes I do get 28 mbps. So I have switched my network to CDMA 3g but at times the network just dies or falls to 1x even where I live a 3G area with no 4G - I think Verizon has some fixing to do with this SIM base CDMA/LTE they have introduced
    A Droid X (original) next to it continues to get coverage.

I love the screen for email and text but surprisingly the original Droid has better color for YouTube etc and much better colors on photographs. A feature that I don't care about I need a phone email and web and navigation and the 1 mbp of my original Droid and Droid X seem to be fast enough

Want to know if anyone has any experience with battery life on Droid X2 because I am thinking of changing, The 4g guzzles power the GPS doesn't get a fix (I drove 30 miles with it on the seat on maps and no fix) and the 3G seems to just fail - shortcomings that are show stoppers though I do love the display but what good is a display if I can't get the email I want to read

16. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Lurker

I am having the same problem. I bought the charge about a week ago and the sales person at the store recommended JD. I lose connection about twice a day and am forced to restart the phone... no fixes yet besides uninstalling JD???

17. bigben

bigben Newbie

I am a long time phone fan - you name it I think I've owned it. I am trying out the Droid Charge in the hopes to have improved battery performance over the Thunderbolt. I had tweaked the Bolt to get to about 8-10 hours of significant usage.

Moved to Charge in hopes of better and used one of my Bolt tweaks - Jusice Defender.

No doubt for me - when the Charge powers out JD shuts off all the data connections (I think) thus the reason basis for improving battery performance.

Problem is, when the Charge awakens, the data connection is still sleepy. As a result no data connection. Only choice, restart the phone - what a pain. Only option I was left with - uninstall my PREMIUM JD - meaning i paid for it. Bummer.

18. Nimbulus

Nimbulus Lurker

Hey everyone,

I wanted to see if there had been any updates to this issue, and bump the topic in hopes Breece or someone at JD can help.

Thanks!

19. ldaug

ldaug Lurker

I used Customize and then disabled "Mobile data" under the Settings tab. Have not had an issue since.

20. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast

I just bought a Charge and have the same problem with this app. When I disable it my phone is fine. When it's running, I get network errors, no 3G, even though data is on.

I am going to uninstall this app at this point. I'm on 2.2 (phone is 2 days old).

I come from the iPhone4 world on the OTHER carrier. Came back to Verizon to get in on unlimited data and didn't want another iPhone after going thru 3 of them in 11 months due to bad firmware.

21. empyreandance

empyreandance Member

Same here.

22. jeffdanger

jeffdanger Newbie

Same problem here. I think disabling mobile data in the customize section really cuts out what saves the most power--switching off 3G data. I am forced to do this however and JD reports only saving about 1.15 to 1.2 on my battery. Still go through two batteries per 16 hours--averaging about 8 hours per battery with light use.

23. KristaP

KristaP Lurker

Hi! I had the same problem when using JD. I even had to take the battery out each time. So I switched the Green Power, which works great. I got 1.75 days charge out of my battery with it, which is a major improvement over having nothing at all. I recommend it, and I may even buy the paid for version, but honestly, the free version works great!

24. btygte

btygte Newbie

Green Power did not work on the Charge either.. When the 3g went off due to the phone locking it would never come back on without a restart of the phone. Wish they would fix this!!!

25. jeffdanger

jeffdanger Newbie

I have the same problem with Green Power as JD--3G doesn't turn back on without airplane mode or a reboot, etc.

Samsung Droid Charge Forum

The Samsung Droid Charge release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1600mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews