• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JuiceDefender vs. Manual controls

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and new to android / HTC incredible. I've noticed he battery life on these new smartphone is terrible so I've been spending sometime reading up and tryinto find some info on how to increase battery life. I've found JuiceDefender and reading reviews it seems people are split 50/50.

My question is: What does JuiceDefender do that I can't do myself each time I'm done using my phone. I've got he data switch widget so I can disable my 3g when not using he internet or when I'm on WiFi. With that switch off and everything on the power widget off (except maybe WiFi) aren't I doing pretty much the samething except I'm not running a program that does it for me?

Let me know your personal opinion on JuiceDefender is and what you do to save some battery life each day.

Thanks

juice defender basically stops your phone from constantly attempting to stay in 3g when your phone is asleep in your pocket/where ever you keep it. it will however turn your mobile network on (in the default settings) 1 minute out of every 15 mins. to make sure you receive any notifications from apps - facebook, sportstap, etc. and the default settings will also turn the mobile network on every time you turn your screen on so you are able to do what you please with it - browser, facebook, etc. your phone constantly attempting to join 3g, and/or switch between 3g/1x will eat up battery life, juicedefender saves you from this. so unless you live and work directly under a verizon tower i would suggest using this app, it has helped me make it through the day.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I used it for half the day and then uninstalled. When the mobile switch widget is off I haven't seen any 1x or 3g icon pop up. Will the phone turn it on automatically without my doing so? I would rather not need to run a pay-for app if all its features are available to me excluding the automatic part.

I live around air force bases so sometimes there's spots on the highway that will be for emergency calls only. Most the time I have service though. I was hoping mobile off would always keep 3g off no matter what so I could sync my emails when I choose.

Upvote 0
you can get the free juicedefender app and use it on the default setting. you don't have to pay for that. so cost is probably not an issue.

i use juicedefender during the workday only, as i get a pretty unreliable signal at my desk. i just toggle it with the widget. i love that if i do need to get on to my phone for something, the 3g kicks in really fast. it has really saved my battery during the day at work. and i don't have to root around for a toggle to hit every time i wake my phone, it just does it automagically. plus it turns on the 3g every 15 minutes so apps can check in, and i like that.

however, once i leave work, i turn off juicedefender (via the widget). when i'm at home, i just toggle on my wifi and that's all i need.

so basically, i use the app as a part of my toolbox to keep my phone's battery going all day. you might find it useful that way, too.

Upvote 0
i just throw it on the charger at work if needed and leave 3G on all the time :)

if you cant do this then i would just toggle the data connection on when you need it. I have read the threads about juice defender and it seems hit and miss. I bought the phone and use it to its full capabilities. I hate the idea of hindering its performance like that

y5 is a great wifi app the will shut off or turn on your wifi when you are close to a known wifi connection. this is a pretty good battery saver and easier then hitting a toggle for the wifi also all the time

Reactions: gidget
Upvote 0
y5 is a great wifi app the will shut or turn on your wifi when you are close to a known wifi connection. this is a pretty good battery saver and easier then hitting a toggle for the wifi also all the time

hey, thanks for the tip on y5! that is precisely what i am in need of for home. now i don't have to think about it or use a toggle. love.

i still like jd for work. i have an ongoing grudge match with my battery where i like to go as long as i can through a day without charging, if possible. it is juvenile and ridiculous, but those are two of my defining characteristics, so the fight continues.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to check out y5. If wireless is always on when I'm at home you think it'll be a big battery drainer or barely noticeable? I'm gonna try some more things. When I'm not at home I'm usually too busy to check the net and such because I'm most likely driving. That's why like using my data switch so whenever I'm cruising I don't waste battery and don't get distracted from emails or whatevr. I went over 8 hours on a charge yesterday with pretty heavy usage (just bought the phone so I'm still in that use it up stage). its like my car, trying to see how high I can get my mpg... or battery life.

Upvote 0
I use juice defender everyday when I'm not at home. It has helped me so much in saving my battery life. When I'm at work use it every hour for work and other things (facebook, youtube, email, internet, and games). I can go a whole work day now without charging it. Before JD I had to charge it at my morning break, lunch, and afternoon break which is crazy. I highly recommend this app for everyone trying to save on battery life for the DINC.

Upvote 0
I just went through my phone and did some manual adjustments as I was getting pretty bad battery life even with my Seidio 1750 (probably around 14 hours). I got 25.5 hours of light use the last time I used my phone (after a bump charge), and still had around 25% left. I was happy with that for the extended battery... but then remembered I swapped batteries and that was with the stock one!

First, do a *228, option 2 update whenever you're in a new area or once a month. This updates for new towers and if there is a better signal your phone won't have to work as hard to connect to it.

Cut the display power. You probably don't need it at 100% unless you're in bright sun. I keep mine around 30%.

Go through all of your email/facebook/twitter apps and mess around with the sync settings. Adjust your accounts to sync as seldom as possible. I don't even have my twitter sync unless I open it.

Go to Menu->Settings->Applications->Running Services. Go down the list and see what has been running for most of the time your phone has been on. If you're like me, you found apps on the list you don't even use. Uninstall them.

3rd party Live Wallpaper can be a battery hog. Find one that isn't.

I did this and it probably doubled my battery life. Personally I don't see how another app requiring CPU usage is going to help with battery life. These methods make adjustments at the core of the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones