1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Jumping ship...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by twistedlim, Feb 7, 2011.

1. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert

Preordered the thunderbolt yesterday. With any luck by next week I will be wearing a new pair of shoes:D. I will be keeping the D1 though as I most likely will not be rooting the TB. The D1 will be for those trips where I really need to tether.
    I should be faster stock, 4G, and most importantly for me a larger screen. These old eyes just struggle too much these days on the D1.
    If I don't root it will save me countless hours a day playing with my phone:eek:.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Member

Thunderbolt=Badass

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Twistedlim? NOT rooting??? :eek:

Good luck with the Thunderbolt and do give us a "first impressions" review!

4. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Android Expert

Did you sign up for a 4g data plan? How much was it?

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert

Didn't pre-order the TB because I wanna buy it from Costco, not Best Buy. Also, I'll be waiting until MWC the day before to see if there's anything else announced for Verizon. If not, I'm jumping ship on the 14th too.

6. twistedlim

I just gave them a deposit on the phone. The only information they had was the price and the approx delivery....Chief, never say never I guess:D.

They did not have info on the data plan but we shall see when the phone comes in. I am also curious (and hoping there will be no change as some rumors have stated) We shall see. If it is too much I will just keep the droid or maybe pick up something else. 4G would be great but the price has to be in line with the service.

The only reason I may not root is basically the phone will be as fast as I need and I plan on running launcher pro and no matter what theme you apply it seems like LP dominates the rom anyway. I can live with wired tether if I need it and can always fire up the droid if I need wireless (which is seldom for me anyway)

7. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Android Enthusiast

I really like the Thunderbolt and am thinking about jumping as well, but I think its total lack of respect to the customer base to have a pre sale on a phone and have no data package pricing. I also have to ask my self when is enough ,enough. Im paying upwards of 250 a month for 3 lines, its seriously getting out of hand.

8. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Android Enthusiast

Does the Bionic stand up to the TB?

9. shadowdude777

It'll probably be more powerful but it's a crummy Moto phone so who cares?

10. shadowdude777

Tegra 2 is intense. Much more powerful than Snapdragon. But I'm still not buying the Bionic just because I have given up all hope of Motorola releasing their products from the encrypted prisons they put them in. Also, the Bionic has HDMI out if anyone cares.

11. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

i am waiting to get my thunderbolt from verizon. i want a one year plan and best buy only does two years. i am sick of the loose headphone crap with moto and while i do like my x, i have had reboots from day one. ugh!!

12. shadowdude777

When I see you refer to it as "dx" in your signature, all I start thinking about is calculus. It has to be capitalized or else it all starts to haunt me! :p

13. twistedlim

Try DEoxit from radio shack. Take a q tip and remove most of the cotton and spry the deoxit on the qtip soaking it pretty good. Just run it in and out a few times, repeat if it does not work. No more static for me. I thought mine was loose maybe this will do the trick for you also.

14. randy10786

randy10786 Newbie

Have fun with the Thunderbolt and let us know your first impressions! Im gonna hold out for the Droid 3 being released sometime later this year(rumors say August???). Im sitting on an upgrade right now, but I REALLY love my Droid 1 and dont see any phones that interest me in the immediate future besides maybe the D3. I dont need 4G as I live in a non-4G area. Plus I really like my physical keyboard. To be honest I may even wait til October when my last NE2 kicks in. But good luck with the Thunderbolt, it looks pretty sweet.

15. shadowdude777

Yeah, I really don't wanna go without a physical keyboard either, but unless something's announced at MWC in 5 days that has a keyboard and a large screen, I'm gonna go with the ThunderBolt. As important as the keyboard is to me, a 4" or larger screen is even more important to me.

16. randy10786

randy10786 Newbie

I heard the Droid 3 is rumored to have a 4" screen with a slide-out keyboard. That would be sweet!

17. shadowdude777

Hey, that sounds like an Epic on Verizon! It's a shame it's made by Motorola though, I want an HTC or Samsung equivalent. I am not buying any more Moto products in the future.

18. twistedlim

Yea I really need a larger screen. Funny I was loading a rom the other day while watching TV and my wife noticed for the first time in a year of owning the phone that I had the keyboard out. She asked me what t he heck it was:D That should give you some indication as to how much I use the physical keyboard. It is really nothing but a bother to me as it slides open in my pocket. (BTW wife owns an Incredible)

19. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Yep, I'm down to only using the physical KB to put in my Gmail account and that's it! Since installing Swiftkey, I never use it. I believe I'm in a 4G area (DC), but I really can't be paying any more each month. $170 for two Droids is already pretty absurd. I'm with the rest of you guys though, I'd much rather have a bigger screen (and likely lighter device) than another keyboard.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews