• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

June 4th $199!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all relative. Here in OKC, we have limited Sprint 3G coverage, don't have WiMax, and aren't even included in the next round of WiMax installation cities. Whereas ATT is rapidly installing their LTE network all along I35. Is a 3G only EVO better than the 4th gen iphone getting ready to be released (or even the Galaxy S)?

Rapidly installing LTE what? ATT's LTE isn't slated for release for another 2 years.

And the galaxy S doesn't hold a candle to the eVo

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wrong and wrong.

AT&T LTE network being moved up:
AT&T Moves Up Its LTE Rollout, Admits To Network Issues

As far as the Galaxy S, the only difference (for me in a 3g area) would be the camera (8mp compared to 5mp).

As a current owner of a Samsung android phone, it's going to be a LONG while before I own another one. Samsung pales in comparison compared to HTC for quality.

Also, ATT's backhaul is absolutely terrible, and the spectrum choice is bad too. Even with the accelerated rollout, it's still not going to hit market until 2011. A full two years behind WiMax.

Upvote 0
As a current owner of a Samsung android phone, it's going to be a LONG while before I own another one. Samsung pales in comparison compared to HTC for quality.

Also, ATT's backhaul is absolutely terrible, and the spectrum choice is bad too. Even with the accelerated rollout, it's still not going to hit market until 2011. A full two years behind WiMax.

You keep forgetting the main point of my debate -- the phone being for ME, not you. Who knows when we will be getting WiMax in OKC -- hell, Clearwire is already preparing to ditch WiMax and go with LTE so ATT will more than likely be well ahead of Sprint in regards to 4G speeds in my location.

Upvote 0
You keep forgetting the main point of my debate -- the phone being for ME, not you. Who knows when we will be getting WiMax in OKC -- hell, Clearwire is already preparing to ditch WiMax and go with LTE so ATT will more than likely be well ahead of Sprint in regards to 4G speeds in my location.

You seriously need to do some reading. Clear never said anything about getting ready to ditch WiMax, they said it is a simple and inexpensive changeover, if necessary.

And until ATT's backhaul MASSIVELY improves, it's still the slowest in the USA, 4G LTE or not.

Think of it like this, just because you have a 1GBPS router, (Symbolizing LTE here) doesn't make a difference vs a 100MBPS router, (Symbolizing 3G) concerning internet speed, if your connection is only 10Mbps(symbolizing backhaul). Get it?

Upvote 0
A lot of the attitudes in here crack me up.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ and 4G isn't even in the plans from what I've been able to find out. So for me, the cost of plan for the EVO on 3G, which is going to be just fine for me, is $59.99 for 500 land line minutes, unlimited to any mobile, unlimited text, and unlimited data. ($69.99 plan minus $10.00 for the SERO program discount)

If we had 4G here, I would gladly pay another $10 a month to have it, but we don't. I have no need for the hotspot capabilities, so I don't care about that additional charge.

What gets me is this, this is THE top phone when it is released, the plans are still cheaper than Verizon for sure, but unless you guys get the phone, the 4G, the hotspot, and a good backrub from Dan Hesse himself, all for $19.99 a month, you just aren't happy.

Keep in mind, they could have jacked the price for the phone up, they could have nickeled and dimed everything, and maybe they are to an extent, or just raised their plan prices across the board. But $10 a month for 4G if it does what they say, I think is very reasonable.

QUIT your whining, nobody is putting a gun to your head and saying you have to buy this or use this.

Geez. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You seriously need to do some reading. Clear never said anything about getting ready to ditch WiMax, they said it is a simple and inexpensive changeover, if necessary.

And until ATT's backhaul MASSIVELY improves, it's still the slowest in the USA, 4G LTE or not.

Think of it like this, just because you have a 1GBPS router, (Symbolizing LTE here) doesn't make a difference vs a 100MBPS router, (Symbolizing 3G) concerning internet speed, if your connection is only 10Mbps(symbolizing backhaul). Get it?

Yes, got it. Unfortunately even Sprint's standard 3G coverage is fairly sparse in OK (when compared to ATT's).

Let's put it this way:

ATT (Pros then Cons)

Expansive 3G coverage in South Central US (Pro)
20% business discount (Pro)
Unlimited calling to any ATT customer (Big Pro in our area)
Iphone 4 or Galaxy S (Neutral to slight Con)
No 4G service until mid-2011 (Con)

Sprint (Pros then Cons)

HTC Evo (Big Pro when factoring in solid 3G/4G coverage)
69.99 unlimited plan - 79.99 for Evo upgrade (Pro to con for mandatory charge)
Much smaller 3G aerial coverage, no 4G coverage (Con)

Upvote 0
Yes, got it. Unfortunately even Sprint's standard 3G coverage is fairly sparse in OK (when compared to ATT's).

Let's put it this way:

ATT (Pros then Cons)

Expansive 3G coverage in South Central US (Pro)
20% business discount (Pro)
Unlimited calling to any ATT customer (Big Pro in our area)
Iphone 4 or Galaxy S (Neutral to slight Con)
No 4G service until mid-2011 (Con)

Sprint (Pros then Cons)

HTC Evo (Pro when factoring in solid 3G/4G coverage)
69.99 unlimited plan - 79.99 for Evo upgrade (Pro to con for mandatory charge)
Much smaller 3G aerial coverage, no 4G coverage (Con)

Well, I can't wait for the days when Coverage is nationwide, with no faults. 2022 maybe ? lol.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't wait for the days when Coverage is nationwide, with no faults. 2022 maybe ? lol.

Exactly why I made the list for my particular region. I'm sure it would be vastly different for different regions (ones with better Sprint coverage). Unfortunately, I'm not in one of them, and when trying to make a decision about switching carriers (which to me is the first priority, not the phone - what good is a phone if the carrier isn't) I have to consider such things.

Upvote 0
Exactly why I made the list for my particular region. I'm sure it would be vastly different for different regions (ones with better Sprint coverage). Unfortunately, I'm not in one of them, and when trying to make a decision about switching carriers (which to me is the first priority, not the phone - what good is a phone if the carrier isn't) I have to consider such things.

Agree with you 100%. Carrier is always first. Too bad your stuck with ATT.

Upvote 0
SOONR1

If you consider unlimited calling to any ATT customer a Big plus for ATT than you have to for Srint also, since on Sprint you get unlimited calling to Sprint, ATT, Verizon and T-mobile. Price with $10 charge will still likely be cheaper than ATT with an iphone even with the 20% discount.

Yeah but with ATT you get 5000 anytime minutes which keeps me covered for everything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones