1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Junk under the screen, headed back to return

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tware, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    After the long wait, I'm really disappointed to find a chunk of something metallic right in the center of the screen. I have no idea how someone assembling this screen could have missed this. It almost looks like a flake of chrome from the camera housing. I say that because it's shiny with the display off, and glows with adjacent colors when the display is on. I'd say its about the size of 8 pixels. Not something you can ignore.

I was also surprised to find the battery completely dead out of the box. Yes, I connected AC as instructed, but it's rare to see a Li-Ion that far run down to 0%.

And, since the Toshiba file manager didnt really handle my photos as I expected, I'm not sure I need the SD card slot as I thought I did. I may just get a Tab 10.1 as a replacement. Just not sure yet.

Advertisement

2. OxygenD

OxygenD Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    That's a bummer. I opened mine and plugged it in in the store (yes, required plug in) to make sure there were no dead pixels.

I LOVE the file manager.

3. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    I wish the local stores would require it to be turned on first, that's a great idea.

The file manager looked nice, navigated nicely in general.. but wouldn't navigate around my photos. So, just on that single issue, it didnt work for me. Otherwise, it seemed useful and well thought out.

Oh, I picked up a Transformer, only to find even MORE crap under its screen. :(

4. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    The file manager is good. Simple and handy for internal file transfers :)

Toshiba seems to have put a lot of good thought in file intergration for all storage options.

5. CariStarlight

CariStarlight Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    IT Support
    Pahrump, NV
    Got my Thrive today direct from Toshiba and made sure the box was sealed before carefully taking it out & plugging it in.

Got the update from Toshiba - everything working fine except pop email from my server at web.com which is strange because my iPhone has no trouble with it, nor does Outlook on my PCs but I'll sort that out at some point.

Grabbed some apps & games, got tomorrow to transfer over music & videos - will probably use SD card or a USB flash card but I suppose I could play with Bluetooth.

No disappointments - yet, but I'm a big Toshiba fan (4 notebooks & 4 Toshiba TVs & 2 DVD players).

6. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I would like to know why some folks have the sleep mode issues but others do not. I do not get it. Even just with stock apps my Thrive has the issue. Mine is going back too, unless some sudden update happens to fix it.

Would be near "perfect" were it not for the issue. I can not be bothered to power off and back on every time to wake the device.

7. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    sleep issue is probably something to do with WIFI. remember to put off your wifi before putting it to sleep.

8. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Seems more to do with firmware conflicts due to "scripts" for sleep states. I finally found a combination that does not result in the SOD.

Unlock display rotation button

Leave the display lock on

Set wifi to turn off with display when on battery

Use power button for sleep mode

Increased timer to ten minutes to avoid auto sleep (but not to long for battery use if I forget- rather power down and tunr on again, instead of drain the battery).

Over two days now and not one sleep issue, plus the battery life is better than leaving wifi on as some are doing. If I let the device go into sleep mode on its own, it is 80% or worse for SOD.

The method above also seems to stop the screen-on issue.