1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

just a quick root Question Galaxy s2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nickst2, Apr 22, 2012.

1. nickst2

nickst2 Member

ive got a rooted s2.

model GT-I9100
    Android Ver 2.3.4
    Baseband I9100xxkI1
    kernel 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKI4-CL575468
    root)DELL143 #2
    BUILD GINGERBREAD.XWKI4

my question is. is there an update or something newer out yet? if so how do I find out when one is available and which one I need? also. will the kies software updates still update?

If you know one available to me can you please post a link and a quick how to. i think i just used ODIN3 last time.

many thanks in advance. i know from past experience how helpful and patience members can be when helping people like myself.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

3. nickst2

nickst2 Member

My csc is I9100CPWKH1

4. ironass

And what did it say in post #2 of that link for your CSC code? ;)

nickst2 likes this.
  5. nickst2

nickst2 Member

Got to the the dial number and came back here.lol.sorry.

6. nickst2

nickst2 Member

Right so my code is different so an update is available?ill connect kies now

7. ironass

You might like to have a quick read through this post first... just in case!

http://androidforums.com/4267212-post116.html

nickst2 likes this.
  8. nickst2

nickst2 Member

done. having trouble connecting to kies. been trying everyway possible so doing it through the ABOUT PHONE setting

UPDATE: downloaded then failed to update.told me to use kies. but i carnt connect to it. i can only connect via MTP?

9. nickst2

nickst2 Member

how can i upgrade without kies?

10. ironass

nickst2 likes this.
  11. nickst2

nickst2 Member

will give it a go. its strange. it used to work fine but now it just connects to MTP mode when i plug the USB in.

12. ironass

Have you got USB debugging enabled?

Settings > Applications > Develpoement > USB debugging

nickst2 likes this.
  13. nickst2

nickst2 Member

tried it both enabled and unticked with the same result. my downloads the new software via "ABOUT PHONE" option > install > auto reboots > failed to update firmware. try again using PC software

14. ironass

I know it sounds banal... but have you tried a different USB port?

nickst2 likes this.
  15. nickst2

nickst2 Member

dont blame you for asking but tried 3 different ones with no luck. just tried a galaxy 1500 on my laptop and that came up straight away with the copy files. but on my s2 i just get MTP connected. could you link me to the updated kernels ect that i need? i do have a few glitches with my current one. randomly reebooting ect. so i think flashing a new update with odin is my best option.

16. ironass

If you are trying to get ICS CPW firmware on a rooted phone you will have to flash via Odin anyway... as described under, "My firmware is not eligible for ICS yet but I want it now!", here:-

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/523455-ics-csc-you-eligible-update.html

If you are running your original, out-of-the-box, CPW firmware with just a rooted CF-Root kernel, you could just flash a stock, unrooted kernel XWKI4 kernel from here:-

skywanker.net - download

and then you could try updating via Kies if you can connect.

Hope this helps! :D

nickst2 likes this.
  17. nickst2

nickst2 Member

i believe im fully rooted as i had to use ODIN to root it..i just need the link to the update files i need for ODIN but there are soo many and i get lost in it all. ive already bricked one phone and managed to successfully root this one. i would just like the newer software ice cream sandwich. or whatever i need so i can download through "about phone" again.

18. nickst2

nickst2 Member

so there is defo an upadte for my firmware but im just getting lost in all these numbers and letters and the ones i do try the links are dead. help :-(

19. nickst2

nickst2 Member

been staring at my phone and laptop for 10hrs trying to solve this and im nearly ready to give up. can someone please send me the link i need to upgrade to the latest firmware

20. ironass

So, your phone is CSC code "CPW". You are running the original CPW firmware that came with the phone. All you have done is to root it, using a CF-Root kernel.

You now want to get it back to an un-rooted state to enable you to connect to Kies and update to the ICS firmware for CPW.

Am I correct?

nickst2 likes this.
  21. nickst2

nickst2 Member

Correct. But I'm having trouble connecting to kies but can connect with odin. Generated a new fault today also which I cannot get my 3G to work either. Many thanks in advance

22. ironass

All you need to do is flash the original, unrooted, kernel to your phone, via Odin.

I gave you that answer and the direct download to the correct kernel, here:-

nickst2 likes this.
  23. nickst2

nickst2 Member

I'll try it once I get home. do you think this my sold my rebOoting and 3G problem?

24. ironass

If, as you say, you have only rooted your phone with a CF-Root kernel and providing that you used the correct CF-Root kernel that matched your original kernel, I can't see how it would affect your boot problems.

Whilst you are still rooted, try the following:-

Boot into Recovery mode > Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache... and then select Fix Permissions and reboot your phone. On this boot it will take a little while to boot up. See if that fixes your boot problems before flashing a stock kernel.

nickst2 likes this.
  25. nickst2

nickst2 Member

Fixing permissions now..

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews