• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just a reminder to those considering phones

CharlzO

Android Expert
Apr 2, 2011
Just wanted to remind people that are looking for advice, of the following:

One thing I tend to notice, is that people do come to forums to get advice and recommendations on phones, or whatever the item of choice is. But many people forget that a lot of people post problems, but far fewer post success stories. Granted, people that do post problems will get people to respond with happier issues sometimes, but on average, you're far more likely to get more negative posts, than positive. And also keep in mind that on some things, that amount of negative posts, is a pretty small overall percentage. But people by nature will tend to complain more publicly, than they will tout something positive. Far more likely to hear "this thing sucks, it doesn't work how I want it, it doesn't look red, the food isn't that great" from people, than to hear someone randomly post "The food here was great.".

So just keep that in mind, that while knowing about potential problems, issues, etc, with whatever item you are looking for, also consider the overall picture too, and try to guage the percentage, but also what solutions and how effective they are, should a problem arise.

And remember, just because someone isn't happy with that shade of red, or the taste of the ham, or that they wished the battery was better, doesn't mean it might not be just what you're looking for.

Well said.

I'd like to provide an addendum of sorts, if I may. Probably kind of obvious, but it's this: No matter how long you deliberate, compare, and analyze before ultimately deciding upon a shiny, new, not-so smartphone, there are two unavoidable truths in play:

1) You'll always find something WRONG with your new device. And it'll probably be something that no one else even mentioned or noticed in any of the countless reviews or feedback that you combed over. Sometimes it's a small something, sometimes it's a big something...but there's always gonna be, well, that something that sorta nags at you.

2) Owning the coolest new smartphone these days - ESPECIALLY the Android kind - is kinda like owning a new car. And your new phone is already out of date before you even unbox it (Yeah, just like in that Best Buy commercial). If only wireless provides offered a lease-to-own smartphone option...

Upvote 0
Just to add on the great topic. I belong to Microsoft flight Sim forum. same thing occurs there. complaints about the program not running smooth. but its still one of the highest selling games to date. My point is, there are people out there that don't post because they don't tweak their phone they have less time then we do, and they truly love their phone and its doing exactly what they want and really don't care to post or read. Forums are still a very small niche overall. I have always shown people how they can further enhance their phones, hell I have even shown Verizon reps a few things. I have changed backgrounds, launcher pro vs. sense, etc, all from coming here and learning. There have been complaints the make me wonder how in the hell did he do that to his phone, I'm not even having problems with reboots after the update. I rooted my incredible no problems for my first time, did the same with my BB storm. So like the gentlemen said, take everything with a grain of salt, a lot of times people won't tell you the full truth to why they are having problems, user error, impatience, installing too many bad programs that eat up juice. My wife has the droid X and she likes it, some small glitches, but nothing dramatic(same as on all phones)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones