1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

just a straight up android mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by RowdyPants, Jul 21, 2011.

1. RowdyPants

RowdyPants Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    my brothers iHome stopped working and mine is apparently incompatible with the ipod touch (same connector and everything, Apple just decided to make everyone replace their equipment i guess). this got me thinking about android-based mp3 players, like an equivalent to an iPod touch.

i did a little looking around and i found a couple examples, like the Cowon J3 and D3. the only problem i have with those is they are android based, but proprietary (you shouldn't have to use hax to get the market on your android device)

is there an android-based answer to the ipod touch? one that either has a decent rom on it or custom roms to unlock the full potential of the device?

Advertisement

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    You can state that but it's not how Android is designed. Android is intended for the OEM to customize as the OEM wants whether you agree or not.

3. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2009
    You can just get an inexpensive android phone off ebay and not activate it. The Samsung Galaxy Player is not out yet, but will be an android device without the phone.

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I purchased the D3 this week and it is great. The J3 is not an android device. Cowon updated the D3 to GB recently and it fixed the lag that plauged it with Eclair, however the device is locked down and currently there are no ways to root it and get the market installed.

5. pvogel

pvogel Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Has the Galaxy Payer been released anywhere in the world yet? I am looking for a 5" Android media player.